Chuba snub

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
What you say is true, but I never said Chuba wasn't getting any pre-season hype.

I said after one week of data, Swift does not belong in the group of top 3 RBs. Chuba does. Disagree with that ?
It's not that I disagree with anyone being on anyone's list at this point in the season. The cream rises to the top. Barry Sanders wasn't on anyone's initial Heisman list. Most of our top producers came out of nowhere. This is the nature of the media -- they're going to hype the more well-known, long established powers thinking that if a kid was recruited by Bama or Texas that they're automatically better than the rest.

Chuba is going to roll out some undeniable numbers today, but that won't do much because of the team we're playing. Tulsa next week will be the same thing. Not until we beat an undefeated Texas team in Austin will Chuba really get the attention he deserves.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's not that I disagree with anyone being on anyone's list at this point in the season. The cream rises to the top. Barry Sanders wasn't on anyone's initial Heisman list. Most of our top producers came out of nowhere. This is the nature of the media -- they're going to hype the more well-known, long established powers thinking that if a kid was recruited by Bama or Texas that they're automatically better than the rest.

Chuba is going to roll out some undeniable numbers today, but that won't do much because of the team we're playing. Tulsa next week will be the same thing. Not until we beat an undefeated Texas team in Austin will Chuba really get the attention he deserves.
I agree with this post but would like to add that the media does this because of market share...i.e. the traditional powers. It's natural for them to cater to their market and it causes them to ignore and often overlook outstanding players in smaller market teams. A huge shame, but a natural occurrence rather than a planned one I think.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So our buddies at ESPN are doing their weekly running Heisman Watch.
After week 1 they have 3 RBs in their Top 10-
Etienne of Clemson, 205 yrds on 12 carries and 3 TD. No problems with this ranking
Taylor of Wisconsin, 135 yrds on 16 carries and 4 TD. Basically ranking him on last years performance, not this year.
Swift of Georgia, 149 yrds on 16 carries and 0 TD. WTF ???

Chuba's 221 on 26 carries and 3 TD should have landed him as one of the top 3 RBs in the Heisman race so far.
It landed him #1 in yards so...yep you are right! Go Pokes! Chuba follows up what he did last week tonight and I bet he lands in that mix soon. But, you are right, it's a shame our players have to bite and scratch for position on list like this because for traditional power program preference.