Chuba on First Take

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
There are OSU fans that, before any of this happened, thought Mike Gundy had become too comfortable in his own skin and had become too tone deaf in terms of his position at OSU.

As a result, he had a tendency to do things and act in ways that were not beneficial for the program and someone or something needed to get his attention.

This situation is an extension of that and he got called out on it in a way that he can't back out using his charm.

So....in some ways, I think some OSU fans, like myself, think Gundy, at least to a certain extent, is getting what he deserves because he has some of this coming

So...
I didnt have an issue with Hubbard taking to twitter because I believe that was the only way Chuba thought he could really get Gundys attention to create the change he thinks is needed.

But...
At that point, Gundy fell on the sword, conceded to Chuba, and vowed to make the changes being asked of him.

That's all he can do

I was okay with all of it up to that point

Well....
Then Chuba decided to go on First Take today

That interview today was complete B.S. on Chubas part because he had already made his point, gotten the response he desired from Gundy, and the plan had been put in place for things to be corrected

What Hubbard did today was set a final nail in the coffin in terms of everyone outside of OSU thinking that Gundy has massive problems with his players.

I'm really pissed about that First Take appearance from Hubbard

It was unneccesary and permanently damaging.

At this point, the question had to be....
Okay....
What do you want Chuba?

You've destroyed your coach, but now you can't even give him the chance to make things right by letting him know what you want?

They asked and he couldn't answer

Right then and there the interview should have stopped in fairness to the other side of the story

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
There are OSU fans that, before any of this happened, thought Mike Gundy had become too comfortable in his own skin and had become too tone deaf in terms of his position at OSU.

As a result, he had a tendency to do things and act in ways that were not beneficial for the program and someone or something needed to get his attention.

This situation is an extension of that and he got called out on it in a way that he can't back out using his charm.

So....in some ways, I think some OSU fans, like myself, think Gundy, at least to a certain extent, is getting what he deserves because he has some of this coming

So...
I didnt have an issue with Hubbard taking to twitter because I believe that was the only way Chuba thought he could really get Gundys attention to create the change he thinks is needed.

But...
At that point, Gundy fell on the sword, conceded to Chuba, and vowed to make the changes being asked of him.

That's all he can do

Well....

That interview today was complete B.S. on Chubas part because he had already made his point, gotten the response he desired from Gundy, and the plan had been put in place for things to be corrected

What Hubbard did today was set a final nail in the coffin in terms of everyone outside of OSU thinking that Gundy has massive problems with his players.

Okay....
What do you want Chuba?

You've destroyed your coach, but now you can't even give him the chance to make things right by letting him know what you want?

Right then and there the interview should have stopped in fairness to the other side of the story
have you ever thought the university put him on there? Kind of like how weird it was to see him and gundy in a video at the same time. They probably also told him to keep things internal. Would you be satisfied if he started listing the things that mike gundy does that has the players pissed.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
have you ever thought the university put him on there? Kind of like how weird it was to see him and gundy in a video at the same time. They probably also told him to keep things internal. Would you be satisfied if he started listing the things that mike gundy does that has the players pissed.
Ummm if there were serious racism issues and the university president told Chuba to keep them internal, then we’ve got a wayyyy bigger problem here

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Man I hope what you’re saying isn’t true. As bad as Chuba came off in that interview, it’s even worse if it’s because OSU told him to keep his mouth shut.

Sep 23, 2010
He doesn't really know what he's outraged about nor does he know what "change" he would like to see. He was influenced by social media, the media and activists to be outraged and demand change...so he did but doesn't know exactly why. That much is clear.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Man I hope what you’re saying isn’t true. As bad as Chuba came off in that interview, it’s even worse if it’s because OSU told him to keep his mouth shut.
im not saying that exactly im saying it was very odd he came out and apologized abt bringing this out via social media. It is the world we live in. Our president uses twitter more than any other communication form. OSU likes to keep things in house. Im saying somwhere some how he was lead to believe him calling this out on social media was wrong and it wasnt.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Ummm if there were serious racism issues and the university president told Chuba to keep them internal, then we’ve got a wayyyy bigger problem here
im saying they led him to believe the best way to handle this would be internal first. Hell look at the majority of posts they arent mad he said something they feel he “should” have talked to gundy first.

Apr 14, 2017
Earth

So...

But...

That's all he can do

Well....

Okay....
What do you want Chuba?

Drops mic. This times a billion

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
im not saying that exactly im saying it was very odd he came out and apologized abt bringing this out via social media. It is the world we live in. Our president uses twitter more than any other communication form. OSU likes to keep things in house. Im saying somwhere some how he was lead to believe him calling this out on social media was wrong and it wasnt.
It sounds to me like you are saying OSU told him to keep his mouth shut and not say anything to the media or on social media. That’s really, really, bad. And also unlikely. I think Chuba made a mess and he knows it. And he’s trying to clean it up as best he can but you have sharks in the water now begging him to throw Gundy overboard.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
It sounds to me like you are saying OSU told him to keep his mouth shut and not say anything to the media or on social media. That’s really, really, bad. And also unlikely. I think Chuba made a mess and he knows it. And he’s trying to clean it up as best he can but you have sharks in the water now begging him to throw Gundy overboard.
what was his mistake? He saw a pic of gundy on SOCIAL MEDIA so he responded in the same method in which he saw the pic.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
what was his mistake? He saw a pic of gundy on SOCIAL MEDIA so he responded in the same method in which he saw the pic.
I agree with a lot of your posts, but I agree with Chuba and others who said he should have handled this privately. First, that’s the best way to handle disagreements with someone with whom you have a personal relationship. Second, the team had a meeting last week that explained to players how they had established processes for communicating issues related to current events/racial tensions. He didn’t follow that.

Does that mean this is all his fault? No. But I do think he made a mistake. But he has owned that and apologized.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
My best guess is that he’s not sorry in that he posted something, but rather in how strongly his words were given the situation. Meaning it came off in a way that made it sound like there were major wrongs that needed to be righted at OSU. And instead he was really just annoyed that Gundy was advertising his political leanings at a time when Chuba thinks his coach should keep those to himself. So now ESPN is waiting to hear about the grave injustices at OSU and Chuba has to walk the tightrope between further damaging OSU and Gundy, and pissing off the cancel culture groups or whatever you want to call them.

In a nutshell you think OSU is controlling Chuba and that’s why he can’t talk specifics. Maybe you’re right. But I think he’s in damage control mode because any specifics he gives wouldn’t live up to what ESPN thinks is in Gundy’s closet.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
I agree with a lot of your posts, but I agree with Chuba and others who said he should have handled this privately. First, that’s the best way to handle disagreements with someone with whom you have a personal relationship. Second, the team had a meeting last week that explained to players how they had established processes for communicating issues related to current events/racial tensions. He didn’t follow that.

Does that mean this is all his fault? No. But I do think he made a mistake. But he has owned that and apologized.
i see that point of view. One counter his coach mike gundy frequently and routinely communicates many things through the media. he gave an endorsement to OAN network but for the players he says lets keep everything internal. One thing i like about nick saban is he keeps everything in house including his own feelings and comments.

PF5

Wrangler
Jan 3, 2014
IMO I think one of two things happened here: 1. Chuba saw shirt, got pissed and over-reacted because of everything going on in our country today. 2. Chuba saw shirt, and it was the 'straw that broke camels back' and said enough is enough, something has to change in our program.
I don't know which one I lean towards, but both would explain why he can't/won't say specifics about what needs to be changed.

Feb 18, 2009

So...

But...

That's all he can do

Well....

Okay....
What do you want Chuba?

I didn’t see it as that bad.

I will say Screamin’ A Smith, Molly and Max the wife beater we’re doing everything they could to entrap him or find him in a gotcha moment. He didn’t take the bait.

It could have certainly been better. It was a chance to show real leadership and it missed, again. But based on how it went, doubtful he or any other players will be getting interview requests in the future.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
My best guess is that he’s not sorry in that he posted something, but rather in how strongly his words were given the situation. Meaning it came off in a way that made it sound like there were major wrongs that needed to be righted at OSU. And instead he was really just annoyed that Gundy was advertising his political leanings at a time when Chuba thinks his coach should keep those to himself. So now ESPN is waiting to hear about the grave injustices at OSU and Chuba has to walk the tightrope between further damaging OSU and Gundy, and pissing off the cancel culture groups or whatever you want to call them.

In a nutshell you think OSU is controlling Chuba and that’s why he can’t talk specifics. Maybe you’re right. But I think he’s in damage control mode because any specifics he gives wouldn’t live up to what ESPN thinks is in Gundy’s closet.
That’s a lot of conjecture. Chuba said he was sorry and should have gone to Gundy privately. I believe him. Also, I think he isn’t divulging details because that’s what they’re dealing with privately now. He already aired his grievances (Happy Festivus!) to the public and that didn’t go over so well. Heck, Gundy may never want some of the issues to come to light and Chuba is doing this out of respect. Or they may just be waiting until changes are agreed to and they know there is a true commitment.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
That’s a lot of conjecture. Chuba said he was sorry and should have gone to Gundy privately. I believe him. Also, I think he isn’t divulging details because that’s what they’re dealing with privately now. He already aired his grievances (Happy Festivus!) to the public and that didn’t go over so well. Heck, Gundy may never want some of the issues to come to light and Chuba is doing this out of respect. Or they may just be waiting until changes are agreed to and they know there is a true commitment.
That’s why I started it with “my best guess”. Only Chuba can tell us why he handled it all this way. Plenty of conjecture in your post as well. It is what it is when nobody can verbalize whats going on.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
In my opinion (so there, can't be wrong. You may not like it, but my opinion can't be wrong), Chuba is trying to be a leader. He said "National Championship" when he decided to return. He's started his non-profit. He wants to be a leader and model for young blacks. So far, so good . . . . .

So with the T-shirt he was trying to be a vocal leader saying "not cool, Gundy". And that's all. No bigger agenda. . . but . . . . . .

"the movement" wouldn't let it die there. They needed more. What else is under the ice berg ? What other nasties had Gundy done ? What Changes need to be made ? It just spiraled out of control so fast.

That's why he can't articulate the Change. It's a concept, not a plan.

"The Tweet" is going to give "The Rant" a run for its money as one of the most accidental influences on OSU football.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
That’s why I started it with “my best guess”. Only Chuba can tell us why he handled it all this way. Plenty of conjecture in your post as well. It is what it is when nobody can verbalize whats going on.
I caught that, but then you directly contradicted what he said. That’s my point. He said he has no regrets about what he said, only that he should have done it privately. Pretty much the opposite of your “best guess.”

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Gundy and Holder need to announce the season is cancelled so the coaching staff and players can to go through sensitivity training and team building in order to allow all parties to grow.

I bet ya all of a sudden the few players having issues will want to have a sit down to work things out to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk