Chuba Hubbard Runs Wild; Defense dominates in Cowboys Win

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
When a team is obviously and admittedly using PI to attempt to render a WR unusable...I think it ought to carry an extra 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. 30 yards a whack is more likely to end that "strategy" than is 15.
Man I get what you’re saying and probably used to agree with that sentiment. I used to think that college should adopt NFL rules of spot foul. However, in the last 5 years all the rule changes have really opened the passing game and made it very difficult to defend.

A QB snaps the ball. You can’t hit him high, you can’t hit him low, you can’t him a second late. You can’t interfere with the ability for a receiver to run his route. You can’t be physical after 5 yards. You can’t hold. You can’t interfere. Once he catches the ball, you can’t hit their helmet, you can’t lower your helmet. If he catches the ball and your hit caused a fumble, it’s not a fumble because he hasn’t made a “football move.”

In today’s game the defense is put at a major disadvantage before they even line up. If you are outmatched and the only thing you can do to not get dominated is commit a penalty, do it. Next week at Texas, if one of our DBs is getting burned in what looks like a huge play, I hope he takes the 15 yard penalty.

I hate it when it happens, but I get it.
Maybe our DBs should try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2011
I would not bet against Tylan Wallace being able to make those catches without the flagrant interference. On two of them they were essentially tackling Wallace. Those catches would have helped Sanders passing yardage a lot.
No argument here on that. However, I think @007Poke and I are still in the camp of those passes were all wildly under thrown. And sure, he could have caught them had they not tackled Wallace, but conversely they were able to tackle him b/c he had to stop and wait for the ball to get to him which allowed the DB to catch up. Sanders will get better, I'm not overly worried about it.

I think PI should be spot-of-the-foul like the NFL which would likely reduce the BS that the TU secondary was doing.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Maybe our DBs should try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do think that rules should be tweaked when it makes sense for a team to break them as the penalty is less for breaking the rule than not....(i.e. better to give up 15 yards than a touchdown). But the way the rules are currently it does make sense for a team to do this...which is a danger to the WR in the long run. Intresting.