Chuba Hubbard Runs Wild; Defense dominates in Cowboys Win

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Tulsa came with their own hack-a-shack defense for Wallace. If in doubt, interfere and give up 15 yards.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I was in OKC for the fair and the cell coverage wasn't that great in the horse barn. So I wasn't able to see a whole lot of the game. But... I did read Wallace was targeted 8 times for 5 receptions and 3 PI calls. That's quite the plan to shut him down. Just tackle him before the ball gets there.

Jan 28, 2008
OKC, OK
Now Dave H is saying we need to develop a #2
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I worry about the increased workload of Chuba as OSU enters conference play. The need for a serviceable back-up to give him a breather between plays/series is paramount. This is uncharted territory for the Pokes for as long as I can remember they’ve consistently had two, sometimes three, more than viable runners in the backfield. When Brown was in the game, I noticed his running style is awfully timid. I noticed the same when returning kicks.

Oct 30, 2007
It's been a very impressive start to the season for our superstars. Hubbard is leading the country in rushing yardage, and he's tied for the lead with 7 rushing touchdowns. Wallace is leading the country in receiving yardage, and he's tied for the lead with 6 receiving touchdowns. I can't wait to see what they do in conference play as Coach Gleeson opens up the playbook.

09-15-19.JPG

Jun 14, 2011
@PJ-OSU and @007Poke , what did you find funny about this? I'm really curious.
Because he under threw all of those passes. I haven't been able to watch the game on TV to note any nuance in any of those plays, but if he hits any of the throws in stride, its TD or huge gain. I agree with your point that it obvioulsy hurt his stats, but just found the perceived "clutching of the pearls" humorous. Maybe I missed something though...

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I find it odd that every obvious intentional pass interference call is considered to be a "lucky break" for OSU, when it was the stated strategy for the Tulsa coaches. Oh, and the flag flew on the 90 yard TD pass too. Was that a lucky break for OSU?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I find it odd that every obvious intentional pass interference call is considered to be a "lucky break" for OSU, when it was the stated strategy for the Tulsa coaches. Oh, and the flag flew on the 90 yard TD pass too. Was that a lucky break for OSU?
When a team is obviously and admittedly using PI to attempt to render a WR unusable...I think it ought to carry an extra 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. 30 yards a whack is more likely to end that "strategy" than is 15.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Because he under threw all of those passes. I haven't been able to watch the game on TV to note any nuance in any of those plays, but if he hits any of the throws in stride, its TD or huge gain. I agree with your point that it obvioulsy hurt his stats, but just found the perceived "clutching of the pearls" humorous. Maybe I missed something though...
IMO Sanders passing accuracy hurt Sanders stats more than the PIs.
I would not bet against Tylan Wallace being able to make those catches without the flagrant interference. On two of them they were essentially tackling Wallace. Those catches would have helped Sanders passing yardage a lot.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
When a team is obviously and admittedly using PI to attempt to render a WR unusable...I think it ought to carry an extra 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. 30 yards a whack is more likely to end that "strategy" than is 15.
Man I get what you’re saying and probably used to agree with that sentiment. I used to think that college should adopt NFL rules of spot foul. However, in the last 5 years all the rule changes have really opened the passing game and made it very difficult to defend.

A QB snaps the ball. You can’t hit him high, you can’t hit him low, you can’t him a second late. You can’t interfere with the ability for a receiver to run his route. You can’t be physical after 5 yards. You can’t hold. You can’t interfere. Once he catches the ball, you can’t hit their helmet, you can’t lower your helmet. If he catches the ball and your hit caused a fumble, it’s not a fumble because he hasn’t made a “football move.”

In today’s game the defense is put at a major disadvantage before they even line up. If you are outmatched and the only thing you can do to not get dominated is commit a penalty, do it. Next week at Texas, if one of our DBs is getting burned in what looks like a huge play, I hope he takes the 15 yard penalty.

I hate it when it happens, but I get it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Man I get what you’re saying and probably used to agree with that sentiment. I used to think that college should adopt NFL rules of spot foul. However, in the last 5 years all the rule changes have really opened the passing game and made it very difficult to defend.

A QB snaps the ball. You can’t hit him high, you can’t hit him low, you can’t him a second late. You can’t interfere with the ability for a receiver to run his route. You can’t be physical after 5 yards. You can’t hold. You can’t interfere. Once he catches the ball, you can’t hit their helmet, you can’t lower your helmet. If he catches the ball and your hit caused a fumble, it’s not a fumble because he hasn’t made a “football move.”

In today’s game the defense is put at a major disadvantage before they even line up. If you are outmatched and the only thing you can do not not get dominated is commit a penalty, do it. Next week at Texas, if one of our DBs is getting burned in what looks like a huge play, I hope he takes the 15 yard penalty.

I hate it when it happens, but I get it.
I would agree with you on the QB being overprotected and the receivers getting too much cushion in the first few yards these days...however, when a teams coaches blatantly state (not sure they did, but it sure looked coached) that it's going to commit PI because they have no way to cover a guy...they should be penalized for Unsportsmanlike conduct. It's not as if during the course of a play they nail the QB too hard because they are already in the air, or they get over exuberant on the line and grab a guys jersey whos about to go by them, this is a premeditated strategy to break the rules (like faking injuries to slow a quick strike offense)...thus, IMHO, it should be Unsportsmanlike conduct (and an extra 15 yards). I would think after the 3rd or 4th time in a row a warning should have been issued at the VERY least to the TU coaches to watch it OR next time it's going to be a double whammy.

Nov 6, 2010
Meh, I think too much is being made of this. Rudolph did that a lot with Washington too because he knew one on one, Washington would make the catch more times than not. Better to hang it up a little and let your better player make a play than to risk an overthrow.