Chuba award thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
No one else did it this year though. He's got as good or better stats as the last few running backs to go to New York and or win the award. You can talk history all you want in different ways. Personally, it would have hurt the trust not one bit to have invited him at least, and it would have at least made it look more legit than it did by inviting 2 players from the same team.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I"m talking history because recent history shows the simple fact that running for 1900 yards isn't some automatic guarantee to be a Heisman finalist. Spin it any way you want, but that's a simple fact.

Look no further than D'Ontae Freeman rushing for 2000 yards in 11 games, & not being a finalist in 2016.

Feb 18, 2009
I have to disagree. Most of these voters were pretty much locked and loaded before Bedlam ever kicked off. By November 1 the list is pretty short and it’s a matter of moving names around based on the last 3-4 games. . Aside from something catastrophic (Tua goes down) it doesn’t change much and I doubt Chuba was ever on the short list.
It’s decided we’ll before Nov 1. Sad really.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Probably says as much about the perceived value of RB's today, but I think people would be a little surprised if they compared Chuba's numbers with other guys over the last 5 years & how many of those guys weren't Heisman finalists.

13 guys have run for 1900 yards or more since 2015. It isn't a Sanders-like season. Granted, it's 12 games & in some instances 13 games, but the numbers aren't as staggering as some would think.
If your basis is "it's not that staggering" then look at Gundy's comments and the QB in the Heisman race-

You probably have 30 QBs that throw for 3,000 yrd and 30 TDs. . . .. but only a few play for Blue Bloods

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If your basis is "it's not that staggering" then look at Gundy's comments and the QB in the Heisman race-

You probably have 30 QBs that throw for 3,000 yrd and 30 TDs. . . .. but only a few play for Blue Bloods
I'm not disputing the way it is, hence the beginning of my post.

& yes, his numbers aren't that staggering when compared to Sanders, specifically. Sanders' numbers were simply too much for voters to ignore, in the end. Only reason he beat 2 blueblood QB's out for the award.

Personally, I stopped caring much about the award years ago, just like the BB HOF.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW

& yes, his numbers aren't that staggering when compared to Sanders, specifically. Sanders' numbers were simply too much for voters to ignore, in the end. Only reason he beat 2 blueblood QB's out for the award.

Personally, I stopped caring much about the award years ago, just like the BB HOF.
Bringing up BB HOF?
1576009944951.gif

Nov 6, 2010
We think he should be in New York, and his numbers say he should, but in reality it all came down to Bedlam. Wasn't his fault, he ran hard that night, but he needed a spectacular game in the spotlight, and it didn't happen.
I agree with this. I don't think it is that big of a snub, he was fading toward the end of the year. There was an opportunity to put up huge numbers against KU at home that didn't happen. Then WVU just barely over 100 yards rushing I think. Then obviously the big stage for OU and we laid an egg offensively. We had our chances to get him over 2,000 for the year, and it just didn't happen. Wish it had, but it didn't.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I agree with this. I don't think it is that big of a snub, he was fading toward the end of the year. There was an opportunity to put up huge numbers against KU at home that didn't happen. Then WVU just barely over 100 yards rushing I think. Then obviously the big stage for OU and we laid an egg offensively. We had our chances to get him over 2,000 for the year, and it just didn't happen. Wish it had, but it didn't.
Correct. Had one game with more than 122 yards over the last 5, & 6 TD's. If it were just "Player A", nobody would be calling it a snub.

Nov 6, 2010
Correct. Had one game with more than 122 yards over the last 5, & 6 TD's. If it were just "Player A", nobody would be calling it a snub.
Plus, I like the idea of a defensive player getting invited every year. Not to say it should always happen, but it should when they are a game changer, which the Ohio State guy certainly is. And obviously, that takes the spot of an offensive player like Chuba.

Jun 28, 2018
Little Rock, Arkansas
You are probably right, but I want to believe Chuba gets the invite with a monster game against OU. My orange glasses in full affect. The kid is a great player and I’d like to see him up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It always comes down to the OU game. Gundy is a has been. 8-9 wins and a bowl game, that's his goal as a mediocre $5.125 Million head coach. And the majority of oSu fans are happy with cold oatmeal vs. running the risk of something better.

Aug 16, 2019
Edmond, Oklahoma
Yeah I guess losing an All American receiver and your starting Quarterback along with playing against a loaded box on defense in those last three games had nothing to do with it.:blink:

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Frank Bonner II looked back at how Chuba Hubbard stacked up against the running backs who were Heisman finalists in the past decade. Excerpt...

Former Alabama stars Mark Ingram and Derrick Henry are the only running backs to win the Heisman Trophy in the past decade. Henry won in 2015, when he finished with 2,219 yards rushing and 28 touchdowns. He had 1,986 yards and 23 TDs by the time the Heisman voting was done. That’s just 50 yards and two TDs more than Hubbard has right now.

Ingram, who won the 2009 Heisman Trophy, finished the year with 1,658 yards and 17 TDs rushing. He had 1,542 yards and 15 TDs before the national championship game.

Henry won the Heisman over former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, who threw for 4,109 yards and 35 TDs in 2015. He also ran for 1,105 yards and 12 TDs.

Hubbard’s stats aren’t too far from Henry’s, but he still couldn’t get an invite.
And from Guerin Emig...

My best shot at an explanation: This truly is the Quarterback Era, something OSU coach Mike Gundy hinted after OSU defeated Kansas on Nov. 16, though it goes deeper than Gundy suggested.

“Let’s say (Hubbard) goes for 1,900. How many guys will rush for 1,900 yards at a Power 5 school?” Gundy asked that day.

The answer as it turns out: two. Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor has rushed for 1,909 yards to join Hubbard atop the FBS list.

“How many quarterbacks will throw for 3,500 or maybe 4,000 at a Power 5 conference school? Fifteen?” Gundy went on.

The answer here is nine, though Gundy’s point remains: His running back should stand out more than top-tier quarterbacks.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Chuba should have made it but I kinda thought he would finish 5th in Heismann voting and they might take 4. That's about what happened unless he finishes 6th (worst case) in Heisman voting.

Unfortunately for Chuba, I knew when he lost Spencer for last 2 games he was screwed. Everyone could key in on him and keep just above 100 yards. With Spencer and Tylan playing with him. I believe he would have had at least 2100 instead of a great 1936 yards. That would have been enough to get him to New York I believe. Too bad.
If we had Spencer and Tylan...Chuba would have had a bigger Bedlam for sure. It sucks but deep down I thought he would just fall short without having help his last couple games.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
He also accounted for well over 5,000 yards of total offense and over 50 TDs by himself.

Chuba is just a smidge under that.

True and he beat out your boy Bake and will probably be named AFC and NFL player of the year after this season unlike your boy Bake
Baker got his. One player took over the Ravens and the other took over the Browns. I’ll give you a guess as to which organization is gonna be a little harder to turn around and get on the right path.

Hint: one won a super bowl six years ago... and the other is the f***ing Cleveland Browns.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
You are probably right, but I want to believe Chuba gets the invite with a monster game against OU. My orange glasses in full affect. The kid is a great player and I’d like to see him up there.

Unfortunately he didn’t have a monster game but it was already too late. I agree that he is an incredible rusher and hope he comes back.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder

Add to that the Nobel Prizes and Time's Person of the Year.