Chu Ba !!! ??

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
You people arguing that Chuba needs another year to develop are ridiculous. The pounding he will take from another season FAR exceeds the benefits of "growing" into the position. The only rational argument is that this does appear to be a relatively deep RB class, so if that rookie contract is a big enough deal, then another year may help if next year's class is thinner.
He needs to learn to block and he needs to show that he can be effective in the passing game by catching 5 or 6 balls a game and making something happen.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Chuba plays running back, NFL teams rarely draft running backs high anymore, the stats have shown you can find great value on running backs in the later rounds.
Case and point, this mock draft only has one RB in the first round, and he’s the last pick.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ck-if-he-declares-raiders-find-new-qb-wr-duo/

The focus is built around the QB in the NFL currently. The other priorities are related.
OL (protect the QBs).
Edge (disrupt the QBs).
Secondary (limit the QB’s options).

This makes RBs less critical than they used to be. I think it will cycle and come back around, just like you’re seeing the offenses and defenses evolve in the college game.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
He needs to learn to block and he needs to show that he can be effective in the passing game by catching 5 or 6 balls a game and making something happen.
We can't even figure out how to involve more than one WR. I'd love to see that many targets a game for backs, but it would take a massive shift from what we've been doing.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Why would his draft stock go up after another year? He’s not likely to repeat another 2K yard season. Don’t see how that helps.
It's not about how many yards you run for. They know what he can do. Its projecting talent, speed. How many rbs that year. Improving blocking etc. Year more mature. Lots of factors chief. Very smart to come back potentially if you go 2 rounds higher. 4th vs 2nd. Also Hubbard is improving as back vision etc. Hes only a 1 year full time starter.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I’m laughing that people honestly believe NFL draft experts consider stats like total yards when drafting a kid. Great numbers only get you looked at, not drafted. Chuba plays running back, NFL teams rarely draft running backs high anymore, the stats have shown you can find great value on running backs in the later rounds. Fifteen or twenty years ago, Chuba might of been a first round draft pick but the games changed a lot. Playing in only 19 games is NOT a bad thing. He has less wear and tear. If I’m an NFL team I’m not drafting a speed guy with lots of carries. It be like buying a new Ferrari but with lots of miles.
Yes but look at RBS coming out. With 1 more year Chuba still not much wear and tear. Less than Taylor and handful other bigtime backs. All good baby.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Case and point, this mock draft only has one RB in the first round, and he’s the last pick.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ck-if-he-declares-raiders-find-new-qb-wr-duo/

The focus is built around the QB in the NFL currently. The other priorities are related.
OL (protect the QBs).
Edge (disrupt the QBs).
Secondary (limit the QB’s options).

This makes RBs less critical than they used to be. I think it will cycle and come back around, just like you’re seeing the offenses and defenses evolve in the college game.
Derrick Henry with the Titans kinda put a dent in that kind of thinking.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Or you could say that Monkey is correct in that he said "I think it will cycle and come back around". Maybe for a few teams (Titans) it has already come back.
Actually....it probably never left. Its just that most teams trended away from it. Of the remaining 8 teams in the NFL playoffs, here are their rushing rankings.

Ravens - 1st
49ers - 2nd
Titans - 3rd
Seahawks - 4th
Vikings - 6th
Texans - 9th
Packers - 15th
Chiefs - 23rd

As you can see, the divisional round teams are, for the most part, also the league's best rushing teams. 6/8 are in the top 10, and 4/8 are in the top 5. Perhaps not coincidentally, they also boast the league's better defenses (based on points/gm).

Ravens - 3rd
Vikings - 5th
Chiefs - 7th
49ers - 8th
Packers - 9th
Titans - 12th
Texans - 19th (missing JJ Watt most of the season)
Seahawks - 22nd

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Dallas took Smith at the 4th pick over Jalen Ramsey. They finished 8-8 this year. Would they have been any worse without him? Would they have been any better with a shut down corner like Ramsey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
I would say the biggest argument for Hubbard staying is that the draft class is so deep this year on RBs. Just staying till next year may legit bump him 2 rounds if he doesnt get hurt along the way.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Dallas took Smith at the 4th pick over Jalen Ramsey. They finished 8-8 this year. Would they have been any worse without him? Would they have been any better with a shut down corner like Ramsey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that depends on who they have instead of Elliott. If it’s not someone comparable I do think they could have been worse off. I guess to me your question is impossible to answer. Would I give up Elliott and have Pollard be the workhorse just to add Ramsey to the defense? No.

Jan 14, 2006
I would say the biggest argument for Hubbard staying is that the draft class is so deep this year on RBs. Just staying till next year may legit bump him 2 rounds if he doesnt get hurt along the way.
I've thought Chuba should go all along but this is the best argument for him staying.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Actually....it probably never left. Its just that most teams trended away from it. Of the remaining 8 teams in the NFL playoffs, here are their rushing rankings.

Ravens - 1st
49ers - 2nd
Titans - 3rd
Seahawks - 4th
Vikings - 6th
Texans - 9th
Packers - 15th
Chiefs - 23rd

As you can see, the divisional round teams are, for the most part, also the league's best rushing teams. 6/8 are in the top 10, and 4/8 are in the top 5. Perhaps not coincidentally, they also boast the league's better defenses (based on points/gm).

Ravens - 3rd
Vikings - 5th
Chiefs - 7th
49ers - 8th
Packers - 9th
Titans - 12th
Texans - 19th (missing JJ Watt most of the season)
Seahawks - 22nd
All nice data, but your data is rushing success = winning. If all NFL teams are rushing it less than they used to, someone still has to be the top rushing team.

just saying not sure it is relevant to the "teams do/don't value running backs" comments.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
All nice data, but your data is rushing success = winning. If all NFL teams are rushing it less than they used to, someone still has to be the top rushing team.

just saying not sure it is relevant to the "teams do/don't value running backs" comments.

See my earlier post. The four top passing teams in the NFL are out of the playoffs, and the four top rushing are still in. rushing = winning in the playoffs. This year could be an exception, but there it is.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Just looked into that a little bit, and its pretty interesting. I only compared the top 10 rushing teams in the NFL since 1990. The average rushing total for the top 10 over that time span is just under 2,200 yards. This season, the top 10 average is around 2,250. But literally the Baltimore Ravens are skewing everything in ridiculous fashion. They have almost 3,300 yards rushing. The next closest team was the 2006 Atlanta Falcons with around 2,900 yards. Lamar Jackson is singlehandedly screwing up the analysis.

18 of the last 30 Super Bowls have had (or will likely have) the winner also be in the top 10 in rushing over the regular season. For sure, there is a strong correlation between highest levels of success and running the ball, even in an era when most people view running games to be on the decline.