Chinese consulate in Houston forced to close

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Isn't the corp head in Houston now. They left Ponca as the headquarters years ago in 2002

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rubio-chinese-consulate-in-houston-was-massive-spy-center
Yes. For a while, the main HQ was in Houston and Bartlesville was known as HQ2. IT and R/D were headquartered in Bartlesville. It has been a while since I've worked for them so I am not sure of their corporate structure now. But might as well set up your spy base right next to the people you're spying on.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Here is Marco Rubio's tweet about it

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1285918905412853761?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Oct 29, 2016
US
US taxpayers spend nearly $80 billion a year to fund NSA. The same NSA that hires coders and pays them $8-9 an hour to protect the internet network infrastructure of the US government, businesses, etc. And yet, somehow - I wonder how it could be - the "security" implemented by the NSA has perpetually proven to be a disaster. There are many instances that low-level aka inexperienced hackers have easily beaten any security attempts implemented by the NSA.

I'm just saying.. that place in Houston, if it really is about spying, ok.. cool. Close it then. But the real spying happens online. If the US doesn't completely ban all traffic coming from China, then the closure in Houston is a public relations stunt and ultimately does nothing to protect from spying. Hell, China has satellites. Is the US going to blow them up? Of course not. The US has already allowed China to become far too powerful.

So, really, the closure in Houston is meaningless. It's a facade attempt of attempting to show power, when the US' power has waned significantly, especially since Trump removed US from the global stage.

Unless the US completely bans China from everything, ie, trade, internet, satellites, etc, honestly.. the closure means nothing. Why even close it when the US doesn't even seriously attempt to stop China from spying. Hiring near minimum wage coders proves the US is not, nor will it ever be, serious about stopping China from spying on the US. You'd think the NSA could afford to hire real talent. The NSA is a joke. So is the Pentagon. There must be a radical shift in the way our intelligence agencies work and operate and asap. It's time to get serious. If the US does not, bye bye superpower status. And don't think for a second that the superpower status of the US isn't waning. It most certainly is, and faster than most US citizens realize.

Ultimately, the US is a joke. It is. Put me in charge and I guarantee China would no longer be a problem. Closing a building lol.. what a joke, this country. Show real power dammit. And show it now. Nope, that ain't gonna happen. It's all about that money.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
This is from the Washington Examiner, it's an opinion piece but the only piece I have seen yet getting into the why's.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/why-the-us-ordered-chinas-houston-consulate-closed

Why the US ordered China's Houston consulate closed

The key concern was China's Ministry of State Security's use of the Houston consulate as a key operations station for south-central and West Coast espionage operations. As I understand it, the Houston station is connected to the indictment on Tuesday of two MSS officers for cyberespionage against American intellectual property targets and coronavirus vaccine research. The Houston station was very likely used as a targeting center to gather intelligence for cyberattack teams on the Chinese mainland.

So what has the MSS been doing, specifically, out of Houston?

Well, MSS officers have been using the consulate as a base to receive and pursue taskings in relation to Beijing's top espionage priorities. These have included a focus on penetrating the defense and tech sectors in Houston and in the so-called Silicon Hills area of Austin. But China's Houston station has also been used to track and harass U.S. citizens who China believes owe loyalty to the Communist Party regime. Some of this MSS activity has involved very aggressive face-to-face confrontations and threats of a degree that makes even the Russian intelligence services' activity on U.S. soil look mild. To be clear, it crosses general red lines on the conduct of intelligence officers operating under diplomatic cover.

Nov 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tmuHNza9o&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=1fZ480taGoP5gonr%3A6
Not to say that the Chinese weren't up to no good there, but I think the same thing would happen at any of our consulates/embassies the minute we thought they would be searched by the host country.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Not to say that the Chinese weren't up to no good there, but I think the same thing would happen at any of our consulates/embassies the minute we thought they would be searched by the host country.
You don't think countries would just say, "got us our bad?" Me either.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
US taxpayers spend nearly $80 billion a year to fund NSA. The same NSA that hires coders and pays them $8-9 an hour to protect the internet network infrastructure of the US government, businesses, etc. And yet, somehow - I wonder how it could be - the "security" implemented by the NSA has perpetually proven to be a disaster. There are many instances that low-level aka inexperienced hackers have easily beaten any security attempts implemented by the NSA.

I'm just saying.. that place in Houston, if it really is about spying, ok.. cool. Close it then. But the real spying happens online. If the US doesn't completely ban all traffic coming from China, then the closure in Houston is a public relations stunt and ultimately does nothing to protect from spying. Hell, China has satellites. Is the US going to blow them up? Of course not. The US has already allowed China to become far too powerful.

So, really, the closure in Houston is meaningless. It's a facade attempt of attempting to show power, when the US' power has waned significantly, especially since Trump removed US from the global stage.

Unless the US completely bans China from everything, ie, trade, internet, satellites, etc, honestly.. the closure means nothing. Why even close it when the US doesn't even seriously attempt to stop China from spying. Hiring near minimum wage coders proves the US is not, nor will it ever be, serious about stopping China from spying on the US. You'd think the NSA could afford to hire real talent. The NSA is a joke. So is the Pentagon. There must be a radical shift in the way our intelligence agencies work and operate and asap. It's time to get serious. If the US does not, bye bye superpower status. And don't think for a second that the superpower status of the US isn't waning. It most certainly is, and faster than most US citizens realize.

Ultimately, the US is a joke. It is. Put me in charge and I guarantee China would no longer be a problem. Closing a building lol.. what a joke, this country. Show real power dammit. And show it now. Nope, that ain't gonna happen. It's all about that money.
Damn. I had a friend who worked in IT for ConocoPhillips in Bartlesville and took an NSA job in October - after the vetting process, which took over a year. His pay will increase about 35%, though that may be a virtual wash given the cost of living difference. But, it gets him much closer to home. Too bad about that $8-9/hour thing, though. Wonder if he realized he'll have to work 14,000+ hours/yr to earn his salary? At least that only works out to a little over 40 hours.

Per day.

And zero days off.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Lol. You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. This kind of stuff is just for show, yes. But not for us, it's a message for China and it's allies. It's a visible act that is to go along with whatever is going behind the scenes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
China-US row: Fugitive researcher 'hiding in San Francisco consulate'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53510260

Court filings by prosecutors in a federal court in San Francisco say the defendant, named as Juan Tang, was a biology researcher at the University of California, Davis.

According to the filings, during an interview with FBI agents last month she said she had not served in the Chinese military.

However, the document says, an open-source investigation uncovered photos of her wearing military uniform and a search of her home found further evidence of her affiliation with China's People's Liberation Army (PLA).

"At some point following the search and interview of Tang on June 20, 2020, Tang went to the Chinese consulate in San Francisco, where the FBI assesses she has remained," the filing, first reported on by the Axios news site, reads.

It adds: "As the Tang case demonstrates, the Chinese consulate in San Francisco provides a potential safe harbor for a PLA official intent on avoiding prosecution in the United States."

Prosecutors say that this is not an isolated case but "appears to be part of a program conducted by the PLA" to send military scientists to the US on false pretenses.

The document also highlights the cases of two other researchers arrested in California in recent weeks for lying about their alleged ties to the military.