China firm buys AMC to form world's largest cinema chain

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Give me a break. We live in a global economy and a Chinese company and AMC struck a deal to merge. Were you crying foul when our beloved American beer company, Anheuser-Busch, was acquired by the Belgian/Brazilian InBev?

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I figured it was just the next step in the rapid growth of their bootleg movie industry. Now they get the movies to the streets of Bejing before American audiences have even seen them!

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Netflix
blockbuster
redbox (not that red:))
In the SF bay area:
Cost of movie ticket for adult $11.50 / $9.25 for children (if they require a seat) plus $3 for any premium event 3D, IMAX, special showing etc...
small popcorn $4.25
small soda $2.75

family of 4 cost to see the movie
$60

Why go??

PlatypusJojo

Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
A/V Subscriber
May 29, 2010
Boston
Netflix
blockbuster
redbox (not that red:))
In the SF bay area:
Cost of movie ticket for adult $11.50 / $9.25 for children (if they require a seat) plus $3 for any premium event 3D, IMAX, special showing etc...
small popcorn $4.25
small soda $2.75

family of 4 cost to see the movie
$60

Why go??
Holy crap....that seems really low.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
If they can scrape the gum off the floor and keep people off their cell phones . . . excuse me, mobile devices . . . during the show I'm cool with it.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
The company I work for purchased a majority interest in a Chinese manufacturing company. Outsiders cannot purchase the entire company but can hold majority interest.

Nov 23, 2007
I think it's a mistake to view the important part of this as a Chinese company purchasing theaters in the United States.

What is more likely is that the Chinese are looking to obtain expertise in marketing and presenting movies to audiences in their own country.

The number of bottoms in theater seats is shrinking in America (note: it's the number of, not the actual bottoms that are shrinking.)

The audience in China is growing. They need the folks who know how to best run theaters.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
The company I work for purchased a majority interest in a Chinese manufacturing company. Outsiders cannot purchase the entire company but can hold majority interest.
Just don't try to fire anyone in China unless you have a huge bankroll of cash sitting around. If the US had the same laws (not saying we should) our unemployment rate would be negative ;)

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
Then the profits can't be taken out of China, but re-invested in China.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I read recently that Movie studios are looking into a direct to user service as a possible business model for the future of their business and have gotten approval from the FCC to pursue it

Basically you would sit on your couch and stream a brand new movie directly to your own television similar to Netflix

The MPAA (Motion PIcture Association of America) lobbied the FCC in 2010 and was successful in the FCC approving Movie stuidos, if they so chose, to have new release theatre films broadcast directly to homes of Cable and Satellite providers. The FCC also approved the MPAA the right to use SOC or selectable output control for those movies to make them secure to where the content would be protected and impossible to copy when delivered directly to a home television

This FCC approval basically put a count down clock on the movie theatre industry and most experts don't believe it will last another 20 years.

The MPAA has already started looking into companies to provied them with the best SOC equipment and software.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
:popcorn:

I don't really think we have much to worry about just cuz China is buying a crappy theater chain. But this may be the only thread were this emoticon is absolutely perfect.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Just don't try to fire anyone in China unless you have a huge bankroll of cash sitting around. If the US had the same laws (not saying we should) our unemployment rate would be negative ;)
I was amazed at the mall in Guangzhou. Huge modern western stores. But the difference was instead of having one or two sales girls in the women's department of a big department store there would be 3 or 4 girls in the Calvin Klein section, 3 or 4 girls in the Polo Ralph Lauren section, etc. More employees than customers even on a busy day. It was incredible.

naranjaynegro

Territorial Marshal
Oct 20, 2003
Houston area
Visit site
I figured it was just the next step in the rapid growth of their bootleg movie industry. Now they get the movies to the streets of Bejing before American audiences have even seen them!
So true, I was in Beijing 3 months ago and was accosted by DVD sellers outside my hotel on movies that had yet to premiere. Now, I don't have any clue on the quality of what they are selling.....maybe someone taking video with an iphone in a cinema?