Chasing Points

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
When did it become hip to chase points so early in games? I've seen it all year long. Watching OhState and Mich and at the end of the half, UM gets to within 21-19 and decided to try and tie it up....I was asking why in the world would you want to chase points so early in the game, especially for a team that has struggled in the red zone. And sure enough, here they are in the 4th quarter and were forced to go for 2 when why would have been able to kick the XP to get within 2 scores if they had only done just that at the end of the 2nd half. I know these guys like Harbaugh know more about football than I could ever dream of but I've always wondered about this in particular.....should be coaching 101 IMO.

Jul 9, 2004
Yeah, I thought that was a head-scratcher...Not a fan of Harbaugh or his teams. Both are overrated year-in and year-out

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
When did it become hip to chase points so early in games? I've seen it all year long. Watching OhState and Mich and at the end of the half, UM gets to within 21-19 and decided to try and tie it up....I was asking why in the world would you want to chase points so early in the game, especially for a team that has struggled in the red zone. And sure enough, here they are in the 4th quarter and were forced to go for 2 when why would have been able to kick the XP to get within 2 scores if they had only done just that at the end of the 2nd half. I know these guys like Harbaugh know more about football than I could ever dream of but I've always wondered about this in particular.....should be coaching 101 IMO.
I'm with you, but the analytics on going for 2 say it's a good idea. Think of it like a guy shooting an 18' jumper in college, or stepping back & shooting the 3. It's 50% more points in BB, 100% more in FB.

The conversion rate has been around 50%, so let's say you score 7 TD's in a game. 7 PAT's gets you 7 points, converting 4 2 pt. tries gets you 8.

I generally agree, though, that doing it so early in games is still foreign to me.