Changes to Targeting Rule May Be Coming

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Does Rodarius really have to sit out against Oregon State next year? I'm surprised they would loop the punishment to the next season like that.
Yes he does. From the NCAA rulebook;

PENALTY—[ARTICLE 3 and ARTICLE 4]—15 yards. For dead-ball fouls, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. For fouls in the first half: Disqualification for the remainder of the game. (Rule 2-27-12) For fouls in the second half: Disqualification for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next game. If the foul occurs in the second half of the last game of the season, players with remaining eligibility shall serve the suspension during the postseason or the first game of the following season. The disqualification must be reviewed by Instant Replay (Rule 12-3-5). [S38, S24 and S47]

Aug 16, 2012
Does Rodarius really have to sit out against Oregon State next year? I'm surprised they would loop the punishment to the next season like that.
REally, so what happens if it was a senior? I could see the NCAA requiring another player to bear the punishment in the departed senior's place.

Jul 28, 2006
The problem isn’t with the rule. The problem is the refs and will remain so. USC v Washington st or Texas v OSU when Washington got knocked out after a whistle should have been blown. They can’t get those right?? No amount of paper pushing fixes it.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Wasn't Rodarius in the 1st half? I thought, that was why Kemah was in.
I honestly don't remember which one it was. But one of our dudes got tossed in the second half for targeting. That individual (assuming they still have eligibility left) will have to sit out the first half of the first game of the 2019 season per the NCAA rulebook I copied from above.

REally, so what happens if it was a senior? I could see the NCAA requiring another player to bear the punishment in the departed senior's place.
If they are a senior there is no further punishment. It's a punishment on the player not the team (at least not directly. It's obviously indirectly punishing to the team to lose a player). I suppose if the NFL wanted to they could enforce that suspension. I would be awfully surprised if they did but it wouldn't be unprecedented. Pretty sure when Tatoo-gate went down at Ohio State and those dudes were suspended for the first 4-5 or whatever games of the following season the NFL upheld that on Terelle Pryor at least.