CFN season prediction for Pokes football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Frankly, I have no idea what to expect, and I do not believe that last year has anything to do with either player or their capabilities.

Gundy plays the guy that he believes gives us the best chance to win, and I think we can expect that he will continue to make decisions in the same way.

If one guy isn't getting it done, then I don't think Gundy has any qualms about putting the other guy in. The only question (which is often debated on the message boards) is how much time a particular kid is allowed before Gundy pulls the plug - especially since neither guy has any experience running this team in live action.

My gut tells me that it's not really going to matter that much, that the odds lean towards one or both getting hurt at some point, and both being needed at some point in the season.

I am ready for some football
I’m not sure who is going to start, and as you and others have mentioned we might end up needing both.

Although I wish they had both got to play in a couple games last year, I don’t think them not playing last year is an indictment on their abilities.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Gundy plays the guy that he believes gives us the best chance to win, and I think we can expect that he will continue to make decisions in the same way.
This.

I've read on here that Gundy picks a QB based on a sense of debt for loyalty and patience, because the press, because the fans, fear of injury, fear of transfer and every other reason you can think of. I think it just boils down to odds of winning.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
This.

I've read on here that Gundy picks a QB based on a sense of debt for loyalty and patience, because the press, because the fans, fear of injury, fear of transfer and every other reason you can think of. I think it just boils down to odds of winning.
Of course. Many fans think too much for their own good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
This.

Loyalty always means a lot to Gundy, but ultimately his job depends on making the decisions of giving his team the best chance to win. He's always been an "odds" guy.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Of course the media picks OSU to finish in the middle! That's every, fat hack (never played football) writer's pick. They vote for easy teams to pick: Texas is back, ou is always going to be good, Notre Dame and USC are back, too! Blah, blah, blah......Michigan!
They might as well cut-&-paste their same predictions each year. That way, they only have to change the year and not do any of the real hard work, which is research.

Fine.
We always seem to do better when we're the underdog and get to sneak up on the unsuspecting. The problem is that we start so low, that when we win and win and win, no one believes it and they keep voting that way. So, getting into a playoff position requires huge win totals and victories over Texas and ou, which the media will then claim that both of those teams were sorely overrated to begin with.

Here's an article that reiterates some of the TEXAS IS BACK, but toward the end of the article predicts OSU to win more than 8. Take the OVER it says.
And I tend to agree. I think we'll finish in the Big 12 Top 3 at least.
https://sportshandle.com/college-football-picks-predictions-win-totals-nebraska-texas/

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Of course the media picks OSU to finish in the middle! That's every, fat hack (never played football) writer's pick. They vote for easy teams to pick: Texas is back, ou is always going to be good, Notre Dame and USC are back, too! Blah, blah, blah......Michigan!
They might as well cut-&-paste their same predictions each year. That way, they only have to change the year and not do any of the real hard work, which is research.

Fine.
We always seem to do better when we're the underdog and get to sneak up on the unsuspecting. The problem is that we start so low, that when we win and win and win, no one believes it and they keep voting that way. So, getting into a playoff position requires huge win totals and victories over Texas and ou, which the media will then claim that both of those teams were sorely overrated to begin with.

Here's an article that reiterates some of the TEXAS IS BACK, but toward the end of the article predicts OSU to win more than 8. Take the OVER it says.
And I tend to agree. I think we'll finish in the Big 12 Top 3 at least.
https://sportshandle.com/college-football-picks-predictions-win-totals-nebraska-texas/
Since this was for last season I checked all the results to see how "sportshandle" did. The article was correct on three out of nine picks on the over/under wins - which is probably close to typical. If these guys were really good at predicting outcomes they would be living in Vegas, not writing web sports articles.

Simple truth: There are lots of folks with opinions and predictions out there, and quite a few of them get published. The fact It was published does not mean they are good. It's just like my predictions; another hacks opinion.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Spencer Sanders will be the Newcomer of the Year in the Big 12!
There are a bunch of fans in crimson that would squeal at that statement. I can't give an opinion b/c I've never seen Sanders play, but from what I've been told from people who have we'll remember Spencer Sanders for a long time after he's gone.

Apr 13, 2007
Does anyone remember a receiver from Auburn named Terry Beasley? It seems OSU has a great receiver this year. They also have a highly regarded QB, at least he was in Texas high school play.

One year Pat Sullivan threw to Terry Beasley. Beasley was so good that his thrower. Pat Sullivan won the Heisman. I could see a repeat of that with OSU this time'

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Huh? I have never ever seen any team in the playoffs that did not have "huge win totals", which included big wins over their key conference foes...

it means winning the conference, right? Hopefully with no losses, or at worse only 1 loss, because 2-loss teams from any conference are always subject to intense scrutiny.

It does not matter really where we are ranked preseason (these days), you must have huge win totals, including a win over OU and Texas. You might scrape in if you lose to one, but not to both (or 2 conference foes in general).

I'm scratching my head trying to understand how preseason ranks can make any difference now that we have a playoff.

(maybe, occasionally, if, let's say, BU and TCU tied for the conference crown then preseason rank might matter- but the B12 has a conf. champ. game now)

can you provide a real, recent, example of this happening to a team?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If you're in a P5 conference preseason rankings don't really matter. You have all season to be ranked where you deserve. Although the system is flawed, a respectable nonconference schedule and a lot of wins will carry a team a long ways. Blue blood status counts in case of a tie.

Jul 9, 2011
Huh? I have never ever seen any team in the playoffs that did not have "huge win totals", which included big wins over their key conference foes...

it means winning the conference, right? Hopefully with no losses, or at worse only 1 loss, because 2-loss teams from any conference are always subject to intense scrutiny.

It does not matter really where we are ranked preseason (these days), you must have huge win totals, including a win over OU and Texas. You might scrape in if you lose to one, but not to both (or 2 conference foes in general).

I'm scratching my head trying to understand how preseason ranks can make any difference now that we have a playoff.

(maybe, occasionally, if, let's say, BU and TCU tied for the conference crown then preseason rank might matter- but the B12 has a conf. champ. game now)

can you provide a real, recent, example of this happening to a team?
The only thing I would add is that a team ranked lower at the beginning of the year cannot necessarily "win" their way in to the playoffs. If the teams ranked high to begin the season win all or lose just one game, you are not going to bump them out (assuming reasonably equal SOS); they have to lose their way out. Blue bloods also win the "ties".

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
The only thing I would add is that a team ranked lower at the beginning of the year cannot necessarily "win" their way in to the playoffs. If the teams ranked high to begin the season win all or lose just one game, you are not going to bump them out (assuming reasonably equal SOS); they have to lose their way out. Blue bloods also win the "ties".
I see your point, although that scenario almost never happens with the advent of conf champ games.... however it could.

Also, that condition would be true whether a team started out unranked, or started out ranked 5th and stayed there all season (or Top 10, or whatever).

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I started both ways through my freshman year of football and quit along with several other guys to stay in band. Some of the football players used to rag me a little and I always told them, "when WE travel to away games I'm sitting by a twirler or a cheerleader on one of the band buses. Who are you sitting next to on the team bus?" That would usually shut them up.
Yeah, but they were DOING the cheerleader and/or twirler.

The only band member those girls would be caught in bed with are rockers.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
give it up dude.... you screwed the pooch. Get over yourself already.

there was nothing to touch in offense... like I said it's almost all new, not like last year, or "solid again". Almost everything about the offense is different. The defense looks about as solid as the offense at this point.

can't you read?

I did not ask you a question... I was making a rhetorical question to the poster that I quoted. You butted in, misread the post and have been acting the fool ever since.

move on already.

Attachments

Jul 9, 2011
Yeah, but they were DOING the cheerleader and/or twirler.

The only band member those girls would be caught in bed with are rockers.
Modesty prevents....I'll only say that was absolutely not true at my HS. Our school was a little different at that time as the football team was really poor due to a number of issues and the band was really good. We had a number of ex-football players in band, and in the summer before my senior year we played our varsity 7 on 7 and beat them. The fastest guy at our school and some of the bigger guys were in band.

Many years later it has since shifted back to the football team playing for state championships and the marching band, which marched 136 and was getting 1's at state competition when I was there now down to less than 50 kids and is not very good.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
The offense has been a strength for years. I expect some new wrinkles but, not a complete overhaul. Hopefully Knowles defense makes progress in it’s second year.