CFN season prediction for Pokes football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
my comment was about the offense as it relates to the defense. I made no statement about the offense that was not tied to the defense.

I simply asked why the offense not the defense.

you missed half the entire post... SMH
Your entire post was:
“Why should the offense be "solid"? They have as many question marks as the defense, IMHO, if not more.

Taco Tech held our "solid offense" to 17 points last year, and we lost our QB, starting RB, good WR and some OLinemen....

I have no idea what to expect this year, but at the moment I'm thinking the defense could be okay and hoping the offense with a new OC can keep up the pressure”.

You barely touched on the defense. Once again, I answered your question, which did not address the defense.

Jul 28, 2006
Dude, come on. Are you saying Gundy was making decisions on playing time based on potential local media blowback?? If that's the case, put me firmly in the fire Gundy camp, and I'm not pitching my tent there by any means. The man has WAY too much football knowledge and job security to care what kind of an article Jenni or Barry writes. You are getting way out there on a borderline tin foil limb with that argument.
Sort of, but more importantly keeping both QB's on campus with the new more liberal transfer rules. Have you not noticed all Gundy does to draw attention to himself and away from his players and team over the years? The media is a huge enemy of the program and very powerful. Tinfoil hat or just understands the world around us??? Gundy has learned to playthem pretty well over the years IMHO. Can you imagine what we would be looking at with brown gone and Spencer in the crosshairs with no backup? Keeping them both on campus and mentally intact was a really good thing in my opinion.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Your entire post was:
“Why should the offense be "solid"? They have as many question marks as the defense, IMHO, if not more.

Taco Tech held our "solid offense" to 17 points last year, and we lost our QB, starting RB, good WR and some OLinemen....

I have no idea what to expect this year, but at the moment I'm thinking the defense could be okay and hoping the offense with a new OC can keep up the pressure”.

You barely touched on the defense. Once again, I answered your question, which did not address the defense.
8606C0BE-B339-4A2C-8933-1A7B5E373BB5.gif

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Your entire post was:

give it up dude.... you screwed the pooch. Get over yourself already.

there was nothing to touch in offense... like I said it's almost all new, not like last year, or "solid again". Almost everything about the offense is different. The defense looks about as solid as the offense at this point.

can't you read?

I did not ask you a question... I was making a rhetorical question to the poster that I quoted. You butted in, misread the post and have been acting the fool ever since.

move on already.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I haven't heard anything from the media, I was going strictly off Gumby's comment. It would seem to make sense as well given the reluctance to put either of them in when Corn was struggling to the point of complete ineptitude in a couple games last year.
Recall that Rudolph only played as a true freshman due to multiple injuries at QB in 2014. For better or worse, I would hesitate to draw any conclusions about either Brown or Sanders based on last year.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Recall that Rudolph only played as a true freshman due to multiple injuries at QB in 2014. For better or worse, I would hesitate to draw any conclusions about either Brown or Sanders based on last year.
yeah... but... the rules changed between then and now... Sanders or Brown could have played in 4 games (each) and still not lost their redshirt status (versus Rudolph could not play any)

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
yeah... but... the rules changed between then and now... Sanders or Brown could have played in 4 games (each) and still not lost their redshirt status (versus Rudolph could not play any)
I am well aware. The coaches said they didn’t want to put a true freshman QB under center due to durability concerns. I can’t speak to why they didn’t play Brown.

I’m sure you remember that Keondre did play. You can read into that as you like, but I think it was fairly common knowledge why Brown and Sanders didn’t take those reps.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I am well aware. The coaches said they didn’t want to put a true freshman QB under center due to durability concerns. I can’t speak to why they didn’t play Brown.

I’m sure you remember that Keondre did play. You can read into that as you like, but I think it was fairly common knowledge why Brown and Sanders didn’t take those reps.
Because they didn’t know or couldn’t execute the offense. Durability was secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Because they didn’t know or couldn’t execute the offense. Durability was secondary.

None of us were in that room, but the official comment from Gundy was that Sanders didn’t play because of his desire to protect young QBs.

Furthermore, Kenondre did play last year and has since transferred out. That should say something.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
give it up dude.... you screwed the pooch. Get over yourself already.

there was nothing to touch in offense... like I said it's almost all new, not like last year, or "solid again". Almost everything about the offense is different. The defense looks about as solid as the offense at this point.

can't you read?

I did not ask you a question... I was making a rhetorical question to the poster that I quoted. You butted in, misread the post and have been acting the fool ever since.

move on already.
You still don’t recognize your failure. But first, answer me this, why did it take you this long to claim that your question was rhetorical? I believe that it wasn’t rhetorical and you are scrambling for answers.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

None of us were in that room, but the official comment from Gundy was that Sanders didn’t play because of his desire to protect young QBs.

Furthermore, Kenondre did play last year and has since transferred out. That should say something.
Neither Brown or Sanders ever got fully up to speed with the offense last season. Six weeks into the season they still had not adequately learned the playbook. Heck, we heard all Spring they were still making many mistakes.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Your entire post was:

Taco Tech Offense was getting firstdowns upon firstdowns with throws to the sidelines with mixes of short passes to their tall receivers and our D cannot keep them off the field.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Your entire post was:

Taco Tech Offense was getting firstdowns upon firstdowns with throws to the sidelines with mixes of short passes to their tall receivers and our D cannot keep them off the field.
That's true and most of the time when the offense had the ball they went 3 and out. It was a terribly coached game. I would have been ok with replacing coaches after that game.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Neither Brown or Sanders ever got fully up to speed with the offense last season. Six weeks into the season they still had not adequately learned the playbook. Heck, we heard all Spring they were still making many mistakes.

Maybe Yurcich didn’t care during the season because he knew he was going to leave. In the spring Gleason was getting the handle of the offense so he was on a learning curve, too, and might not have been as effective in coaching as he will be going forward.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Maybe Yurcich didn’t care during the season because he knew he was going to leave. In the spring Gleason was getting the handle of the offense so he was on a learning curve, too, and might not have been as effective in coaching as he will be going forward.
Yeah, that’s it. One coach didn’t care and one coach didn’t know. SMH

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

oh boy....

do you have any stock picks you can share with the board? Madam Clara?

that sounds like a lot of tea leave reading and wishful thinking

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
oh boy....

do you have any stock picks you can share with the board? Madam Clara?

that sounds like a lot of tea leave reading and wishful thinking
After reading your comment again I think you didn't see what prompted my response. I was not commenting on who is better between Sanders vs Brown. Another poster said we better hope Costello pans out because Sanders and Brown didn't play last year, thus they must not be turning out as we hoped. My point is that I don't think we can rule out those two guys just because they didn't play last year.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
After reading your comment again I think you didn't see what prompted my response. I was not commenting on who is better between Sanders vs Brown. Another poster said we better hope Costello pans out because Sanders and Brown didn't play last year, thus they must not be turning out as we hoped. My point is that I don't think we can rule out those two guys just because they didn't play last year.
Frankly, I have no idea what to expect, and I do not believe that last year has anything to do with either player or their capabilities.

Gundy plays the guy that he believes gives us the best chance to win, and I think we can expect that he will continue to make decisions in the same way.

If one guy isn't getting it done, then I don't think Gundy has any qualms about putting the other guy in. The only question (which is often debated on the message boards) is how much time a particular kid is allowed before Gundy pulls the plug - especially since neither guy has any experience running this team in live action.

My gut tells me that it's not really going to matter that much, that the odds lean towards one or both getting hurt at some point, and both being needed at some point in the season.

I am ready for some football