CFN season prediction for Pokes football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
When you look at it on paper it doesn't look good, you have a new OC, QB, RB, 4 DL, and a returning defense that was not good. However if you realize that you have 5 DB's returning that went from looking lost at the start of the season to looking solid at the end, The QB you're replacing was a walk on, the RB is as (or more) talented and experienced as the one that left. And the OC had success at his previous job developing QBs. I start getting a feeling that 10 wins isn't out of the realm of possibility. Antwine is an upgrade from Enoch Smith, If Mike Scott/Brock Martin are able to pressure the QB at all the defense will look good, they're still going to give up points and yards but they won't look terrible.

Jul 28, 2006
When you look at it on paper it doesn't look good, you have a new OC, QB, RB, 4 DL, and a returning defense that was not good. However if you realize that you have 5 DB's returning that went from looking lost at the start of the season to looking solid at the end, The QB you're replacing was a walk on, the RB is as (or more) talented and experienced as the one that left. And the OC had success at his previous job developing QBs. I start getting a feeling that 10 wins isn't out of the realm of possibility. Antwine is an upgrade from Enoch Smith, If Mike Scott/Brock Martin are able to pressure the QB at all the defense will look good, they're still going to give up points and yards but they won't look terrible.
OU on paper. Replacing 4 NFL OL, replacing Heisman QB, New DC for one of the worst defenses in the country from a year ago, replacing first round WR, replacing NFL TE. No elite defensive players on the roster. What's the difference??

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
OU on paper. Replacing 4 NFL OL, replacing Heisman QB, New DC for one of the worst defenses in the country from a year ago, replacing first round WR, replacing NFL TE. No elite defensive players on the roster. What's the difference??
Helmet sticker and their new Qb being very good with a national title under his belt and put in a weird situation. The last time he saw time he was sensational. That's the difference...Granted Sanders could be exactly what we need...then again he could be green and not ready. I hope he's the former. QB is such a huge deal in our conference. 10 wins would be OUTSTANDING. 9 would be fantastic, 8 would be great, 7 would be good. I expect 9 and maybe 10 with the Bowl and that would be excellent...then a real competitor for the playoff in 2020.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I don't give a :poo: about OU. That's the difference for me. I think the sky's the limit for OSU they have the pieces to do well. I like this team as the underdog, I'm sure the coaches will be pushing the players.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I agree but not sure how you can call the RB that was our starter for most of the second half of last year new?

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
If you have time, this is a decent read:
https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...defense-mike-yurcich-jim-knowles-sean-gleeson

Basically, the % of non-scoring drives per season is used to rank our offenses and defenses. Offense is definitely important, but it also indicates the higher ranking defenses can make up for lackluster offenses (2013). It could be conflating correlation and causation, but it’s interesting to consider.

Nov 6, 2010
Yea, I tend to agree on Antwine, and how much worse can you really be on D, at least statistically. Although if you dig a little deeper, we were pretty good at times defensively last year. We dominated Boise, and held Texas under control. Giving up 41 to Tech when your offense gets shut out in the second half is really pretty good too. But it is going to come back to QB. There are a lot of proven QB's coming back in our league, and we are not one of the teams that has one. Iowa State, Tech, Baylor, Texas, and even OU if you count Hurts, are bringing back proven QB's.

Jul 28, 2006
Hurts is a "proven" QB. He's never thrown for more than 2800 yards in a season. Break it down further and hes been down right poor in the big games. I don't doubt Riley will make him a bit better, but OU has depended on their QB to win every game they've won the last 4 years. Hurt has been a game manager and not much more in his career. Just a single 300 yard game on his resume against a woeful Mississippi St.

Last edited:

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Hurts is a "proven" QB. He's never thrown for more than 2800 yards in a season. Break it down further and hes been down right poor in the big games. I don't doubt Riley will make him a bit better, but OU has depended on their QB to win every game they've won the last 4 years. Hurt has been a game manager and not much more in his career. Just a single 300 yard game on his resume against a woeful Mississippi St.
He played for Bama.....who averages 30 less snaps per game than the Big 12 schools.

Jul 28, 2006
He played for Bama.....who averages 30 less snaps per game than the Big 12 schools.
Not even close to true. Bama's numbers per game have been about the same as OSU and OU under hurt. Less than 3 plays per game difference. Oh and before you try the other excuse, Saban rarely took Jalen out until he took him out for good. Jalen ran all but a handful of snaps his first two seasons at QB. No other QB had more than a few minutes playing time in either season.

Last edited:

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Not even close to true. Bama's numbers per game have been about the same as OSU and OU under hurt. Less than 3 plays per game difference.
Might have been over on 30, but the gap on snaps per game is around 10 between Big 12 and SEC. Take 2017 (Last time hurts was a starter), OSU passed an average of 38 snaps per game. Bama passed for 24. Adjust Hurts' efficiency with higher attempts (38 per game) Hurts is around 3800 yards, 26tds, and two interceptions. They flaw here Hurts' had a much higher rate of 1 on 1 opportunities with loaded boxes and Bamas' impressive line.

He is a good player. Nowhere near a first round pick.

Oct 29, 2016
US
I'd take Hurts over any of our QB's, all day and every day. I'm telling y'all, as someone whom has a TRUTHFUL family member whom is associated within the OSU football program, we desperately need and need to hope the current QB commit from California, to be great as soon as he steps on campus.

Hurts may not have a Heisman worthy season at OU, but he just may. I'd take him as our QB, and so would Gundy, and so would many other HCs and many other OCs.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
If you have time, this is a decent read:
https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...defense-mike-yurcich-jim-knowles-sean-gleeson

Basically, the % of non-scoring drives per season is used to rank our offenses and defenses. Offense is definitely important, but it also indicates the higher ranking defenses can make up for lackluster offenses (2013). It could be conflating correlation and causation, but it’s interesting to consider.
Bill Young was the best DC at oSu during the Gundy era.

....but we moved on because good wasn't enough. We need great D to win championships.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I'm fully aware of what we have ON BOTH SIDES - you apparently are not... Debbie Downer. Dudly Doright. Morris Moron.

We have plenty of superior position players returning on defense too (just as many as offense)... and the Defense isn't totally dependent on the performance of one position.

you really didn't have to go all potty mouth and ahole.... your point was considered prior to you posting it.
I was responding to your comment about the offense. Therefore I didn’t address anything about the defense. You cannot surmise what I know about the defense based on my comments about the offense. Nice try to act smart though. It didn’t work.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
I'd take Hurts over any of our QB's, all day and every day. I'm telling y'all, as someone whom has a TRUTHFUL family member whom is associated within the OSU football program, we desperately need and need to hope the current QB commit from California, to be great as soon as he steps on campus.

Hurts may not have a Heisman worthy season at OU, but he just may. I'd take him as our QB, and so would Gundy, and so would many other HCs and many other OCs.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I’m getting that vibe. Better hope Costello can play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk