CFN: Oklahoma State vs. Baylor fearless prediction and game preview.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
They were dead-on balls accurate in their call for the Texass game.

Oklahoma State (5-3) vs. Baylor (4-4) Game Preview
One Reason Why Oklahoma State Will Win
Keep it all going.

The Oklahoma State offense has suffered a few bizarre meltdowns – doing nothing against Kansas State or Texas Tech – but when it’s on, forget it.

It’s this simple for the Cowboys. Score, and win. Don’t score, and lose.

They did lose to Iowa State in a 48-42 shootout, but they came up with their five wins when the offense clicked, and lost both games when it didn’t. After that brilliant performance against Texas in an emotional 38-35 win, the O can’t suffer a slump now.

If the Baylor defense that got hit by West Virginia for 58 points and by Oklahoma for 66 shows up, there won’t be a problem.

The issue for the Bears is a secondary that’s been great against the mediocre passing games, and awful against the decent ones.

Taylor Cornelius and the Cowboys threw for 321 yards and three scores against the Longhorns last week, and they’ve cranked up three scoring passes or more in three of the last four games.

One Reason Why Baylor Will Win
Control … the … clock.

Oklahoma State can and will strike quickly, but its offense can also go into massive lulls. It has to be up to Baylor to hold on to the ball and control the tempo throughout.

It’s good at doing that, and occasionally bringing teams down to its level. Just ask Texas, who survived, but barely.

Cornelius might be coming off a strong game, but he can make mistakes and be off when he’s under pressure. Baylor has to generate pressure, and it has to get to Cornelius and make him rush.

This isn’t a slow-and-go Baylor team, but it’s great at owning the clock, leading the Big 12 in time of possession. Oklahoma State doesn’t care about the clock, and it’s going to be an issue – Baylor might have the ball for well over 35 minutes.

The Cowboys aren’t going to come up with a full 60 minutes, and Baylor has to go on a run when it gets its shot. The passing game is more than good enough to do that.

What’s Going To Happen
The Oklahoma State defensive front will take over when it has to.

The offense isn’t going to be as devastating and impressive as it was against Texas, but it’ll be good enough. The nation’s top pass rush, though, is going to destroy the Baylor offensive line that gives up way too many plays in the backfield.

The Bears will make this interesting, but when it’s crunch time, OSU’s defense will come through.

Fearless Prediction & Line
Oklahoma State 40, Baylor 27
Line: Oklahoma State -7.5, o/u: 68
ATS Confidence out of 5: 2.5

RELATED
Week 10 College Football Expert Picks, Predictions
Must See Rating: 3
5: Midterm election coverage next Tuesday night
1: Maryland press conference

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think that’s fair, and I would be happy with those results. I wouldn’t be surprised if we win by more, but it wouldn’t shock me if we lose a close one either. I would guess we win by 2-3 scores.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the UT game was an indicator that we are gelling as a team. Hopefully we’re back on track.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
"Nation's best pass rush". I dont think any of us legitimately thought major outlets would call us that before that season began. One of the best? Sure, but this level of pass rush and recognition is a first for st least 30 years.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Gee, I sure hope Cornelius has a horrible game and we lose so I can tell everyone that I was right when I said Gundy is an idiot.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
U going to the game NYC? If so have fun!

I think the Pokes win in a close one, but it's certainly not a gimmie...none of them are this year.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
U going to the game NYC? If so have fun!

I think the Pokes win in a close one, but it's certainly not a gimmie...none of them are this year.
Nope. I don’t want to get raped. The closest I’ll get to Waco is the Kolache Stop in West.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
There's just something unnatural about a bear with a kolache in his pocket...

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
All I can say at this point is, no let downs. This is the last *easily* winnable game before the three-game gauntlet of OU-WVU-TCU. So they basically have to win this one.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
TCU looks like a dumpster fire right now........ not a tough place to play either. easily winnable would be a stretch, but it's definitely winnable.........

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Agree with Cro, I'd maybe rate Baylor as a tougher game than TCU right now.

What I hope we see for the last 4 games, win or lose:

Continued improvement on the OL. Open holes for backs & protect TC.

Hubbard to touch the ball at least 10 times a game. His speed & breakaway ability are obvious & elite. Get him the ball more & good things will happen.

Dline to continue to be disruptive to opposing offenses. Coach Clements' group doesn't have an Ogbah or a Taylor, but it's a blue collar unit that has the ability to make life miserable for opposing QB's.

Secondary to build on the UT game. Despite the Herbie & Fowler lovefest for Ehlinger, he was pretty average throwing the ball Saturday night, but Green was very good in coverage.

Aug 16, 2012
Nope. I don’t want to get raped. The closest I’ll get to Waco is the Kolache Stop in West.
Dislike Waco and Baylor on principle, but have to admit, Health Camp is possibly one of the best burgers you can buy. Rte. 66 style diner with grill food, fries/rings, Frito pies, shakes, etc. No idea why they call it Health Camp. Oh, and tmk, not one single Baylor decoration on the wall.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Dislike Waco and Baylor on principle, but have to admit, Health Camp is possibly one of the best burgers you can buy. Rte. 66 style diner with grill food, fries/rings, Frito pies, shakes, etc. No idea why they call it Health Camp. Oh, and tmk, not one single Baylor decoration on the wall.
Vitek’s is really good too. Anyone making the trip should try them out. Get the “gut pak”

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I'd have to agree with the prediction, I hope Baylor isn't able to hold the ball the way Tech did or were in for a long morning. I hope the coaches build on the game plan they had vs Texas and use the first half of that game as a template for the rest of the season. If we fall back to our "base offense" and have a few 3 and outs we could have a let down in Waco.