Can continuity be the answer on OSU's special teams?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
The latest from Mark Cooper as he counts down to Big 12 media days. Yesterday's entry was on tight ends, which you can view here.

(or the Orange Power discussion thread here)

Today's entry is on OSU's special teams. Excerpt:

According to SB Nation, Oklahoma State ranked 72nd in special teams S&P+. With the same punter, Zach Sinor, it went from second to 95th in punting efficiency.

OSU ranked 109th in punt return average and 113th in kick return average. For the second consecutive season, it did not score a return touchdown.

The low point was OSU's 50-39 win over West Virginia, which included a dropped hold, blocked punt, missed field goal and two personal foul penalties.

But over the final two months of the season, the Cowboys' unit did improve back to a respectable level, limiting mistakes and preventing big plays. It hopes to carry that over into 2018.
Link

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Mark Cooper needs to do some research if he makes the statement that Chubba Hubbard and LD Brown could be options in the returns game. LOL options. Chubba Hubbard will completely change the return game. I predict we'll get a least 1 big return this year if not 2 or 3 in Big 12 play. Either punt return or kickoff return. Chubba is a bigtime speedster.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Mark Cooper needs to do some research if he makes the statement that Chubba Hubbard and LD Brown could be options in the returns game. LOL options. Chubba Hubbard will completely change the return game. I predict we'll get a least 1 big return this year if not 2 or 3 in Big 12 play. Either punt return or kickoff return. Chubba is a bigtime speedster.
He may not be Cheetah fast, but he does have Justin Gilbert/Perrish Cox type speed.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Regardless of how they would perform, they are still.... options.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
I hope Neither Chuba nor LD will be on Punt return.....KO return yes.

And what’s with he new fair catch rule? That’s so dumb

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2011
Houston
All i know is for years this is our weak link. It used to be one of our strengths. Lately it was like our step-child. no coaches, or maybe a G/A. kickers having problem, work it out on your own. occasionally kickoff tackling worked on. it was just a mess last few years. Last coach it had was (can't think of name, old age) but he went to WVU with Holgy, and was let go from there after a while. good recruiter i always thought.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I hope Neither Chuba nor LD will be on Punt return.....KO return yes.

And what’s with he new fair catch rule? That’s so dumb
The new fair catch rule on kickoffs is intended to reduce the number of serious head injuries by reducing the number of high speed collisions. They are neutering the sport of football to make it safer.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
All i know is for years this is our weak link. It used to be one of our strengths. Lately it was like our step-child. no coaches, or maybe a G/A. kickers having problem, work it out on your own. occasionally kickoff tackling worked on. it was just a mess last few years. Last coach it had was (can't think of name, old age) but he went to WVU with Holgy, and was let go from there after a while. good recruiter i always thought.
Joe DeForest