Can Boynton Recruit?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2008
Something to think about and I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else...

People will say that this recruiting class is second only to the 2005 class, and in terms of recruiting stars and numbers that is true. But that 2005 class was signed coming off of a monster 2004 season where the Cowboys were Big 12 Regular Season Champions, Big 12 Tournament Champions, and went to the Final Four finishing with a 31-4 overall record, with a coach that should be in the Hall of Fame. That is what makes this current class so impressive in my opinion. No NCAA Tournament last year, picked to finish last both this season and last with a coach who is only in his second season.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010
Something to think about and I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else...

People will say that this recruiting class is second only to the 2005 class, and in terms of recruiting stars and numbers that is true. But that 2005 class was signed coming off of a monster 2004 season where the Cowboys were Big 12 Regular Season Champions, Big 12 Tournament Champions, and went to the Final Four finishing with a 31-4 overall record, with a coach that should be in the Hall of Fame. That is what makes this current class so impressive in my opinion. No NCAA Tournament last year, picked to finish last both this season and last with a coach who is only in his second season.
Like I said, it doesn't account for transfers. The 2002 class that signed Tony Allen (NBA), Joey Graham (NBA), Stevie Graham (NBA), Janovor Weatherspoon, Daniel Bobik, Onye Ibekwe. This is how good recruiting was at this time. The cowboy staff convinced the Graham boys to come while only having one scholarship for them 02-03 season they sat out. The next year they convinced John Lucas III to come without a scholarship, although he was in an obviously good financial position.

As for some of Coach Sutton's best high school classes. Desmond Mason, Joe Adkins and Alex Webber in the same class. I remember Terrence Crawford, Ivan McFarlin, Jack Marlow, Ellis Kidd, David Anderson. That class also had Maurice Baker and Melvin Sanders as juco guys.

Hopefully we look back at this current class of commits similarly to those.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Love me some Coach Boynton!

Like many others (including Holder) I was blown away the first time I heard and saw this guy speak. He is going to take OSU Basketball back to national relevance and I for one am glad Eddie is alive to see it!

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Time will tell as we have only seen him coach but a single season so far, but I vividly remember a very strong contingent on this board that absolutely hated the idea of giving the job Boynton. IMO, the guy has done nothing but show promise and potential while making consistent steps (sometimes even leaps) to get the program back to where it belongs. Future looks very bright (orange).
I remember the naysayers as well. And I hope that all of you singing his praises remembers you did, because this year will be tough, and we will have to show a little patience. We lost a lot of talent and points from last year's team.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I remember the naysayers as well. And I hope that all of you singing his praises remembers you did, because this year will be tough, and we will have to show a little patience. We lost a lot of talent and points from last year's team.
I agree but I think we will start to turn the corner by the time we start conference play. By February and March we should be hitting on almost all cylinders.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I know, I'm crazy, but I'm still going to say it. Don't sleep on this team this year, especially once we get everyone back.

But, all in all, all I want to see this year is continual improvement throughout the year, and max effort.
I hope you're right, and we make the big dance, and have no doubt we'll see lots of improvement and effort. But I also know how fickle a lot of our fans can be.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I'll be totally honest...and I don't know if it was because of minor anger from the Bedlam game...but I wanted to blame the bball loss on Boynton. But then I had to pull back to the center, and remind myself that it's just the first game, and they are young. I want to win *now*, so all of these recruits looking at us are like, "dang, I like this style, I want to go there!". But I know I'm asking too much with that mindset.

I just hope that, if we do have a fairly rough season, when all is said and done, it doesn't scare recruits away like they'll think it's going to be terrible.