Can Boynton get the trifecta?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Why I picked Kansas: Five-star recruit Bryce Thompson explains his decision to join the Jayhawks

I leaned on my parents when coming to this decision. As former college athletes, they’ve been through the recruiting process and I trust them to highlight areas I may have missed. We took most visits as a family and debriefed after each one. I’m grateful to have my family to lean on through this process. They know my goals and are committed to helping me position myself to achieve them. I don’t take them for granted.

My first memory with coach Bill Self was in the Union High School gym when I was (a third-grader). Kansas was in Tulsa for a postseason game and I got to take a picture with him. That was my first time to meet coach Self in person. It’s crazy how it’s all come back full circle and now I’m about to sign with Kansas.

While recruiting me, coach Self showed me the whole blueprint of where I could fit in. He showed clips of their style of play and clips of my style then explained how my game fit. He talked about the strength of their schedule. Kansas played Duke last week at The Garden. I'd love to display my talents on a stage that large.

I couldn’t have gone wrong with any of my finalists: Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and North Carolina. Each has a great staff and skilled players. I’ve often been told that I have great options. I agree, and it’s something that I don’t take for granted. I’m appreciative for all the college coaches who invested their time in me during this recruiting process.

Oct 30, 2007
I can't say I'm surprised. Kansas is a blue blood program that is right down the road. Plus his dad played for Coach Self at Tulsa. They probably should've been considered the favorites all along.

Hopefully we'll pick up Thor, and a good grad transfer to round out the class.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Seriously, has Self been told that KU will avoid any sanctions?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
We're going to have back to back stacked classes. The question will be - can we maximize the talent in those two classes, as young as they all will be, to benefit from Cade Cunningham, our probable one and done? Ice and Anei will be juniors. The Boone twins, Harris, and Avery Anderson will be sophomores, and the rest freshmen. Will we have enough experience and talent around Cade to threaten for a national championship??

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
We're going to have back to back stacked classes. The question will be - can we maximize the talent in those two classes, as young as they all will be, to benefit from Cade Cunningham, our probable one and done? Ice and Anei will be juniors. The Boone twins, Harris, and Avery Anderson will be sophomores, and the rest freshmen. Will we have enough experience and talent around Cade to threaten for a national championship??
Let's start out with Big 12 championship and go from there. Even the blue bloods of the world find themselves losing in the 2nd round, sweet 16, with a roster full of 4 and 5 stars.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Let's start out with Big 12 championship and go from there. Even the blue bloods of the world find themselves losing in the 2nd round, sweet 16, with a roster full of 4 and 5 stars.
Look and see who Tech has signed. They’re not going to just secede the Big 12 to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I agree with your sentiment in general, but will point out that we did not win the conference regular season in 1995, and it was one of our 2 best seasons in recent history. It is possible to win the NC without winning the conference.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Oh, I'm not claiming any types of titles or championships before hand. I'm just asking if it will be enough for any of that. Nothing is a given.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
For Bryce Thompson, Kansas is his blood connection.

Dad trusts Bill Self. We have to respect that.
Except it's a little scary to sign with a school under investigation and possibly facing serious sanctions. I've caught on those thing don't really factor in.

Feb 26, 2005
www.geocities.com
Oh no, Bill.

Rod Thompson paraphrases some of Self’s winning pitch to Bryce: “Elite players go to elite schools. If you’re an elite quarterback, you go to OU. If you’re an elite basketball player, you go to Kansas. You were custom-built for this.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_0eea1f1c-17be-5940-8964-b06514349614.html
And I can imagine our coach Boynton saying something like. Your good. But your going to have to earn your minutes if you choose Oklahoma State.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Oh no, Bill.

Rod Thompson paraphrases some of Self’s winning pitch to Bryce: “Elite players go to elite schools. If you’re an elite quarterback, you go to OU. If you’re an elite basketball player, you go to Kansas. You were custom-built for this.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_0eea1f1c-17be-5940-8964-b06514349614.html
Thanks for sharing. Another OSU note from Bill's column...

OSU’s Mike Boynton did not have a history with the Thompsons, but he and assistant Scott Sutton were a constant presence at Booker T.’s Nathan E. Harris Field House since Bryce was a sophomore.
Cade Cunningham officially became an OSU Cowboy today. From Frank Bonner II...

The 6-foot-7, 215-pound guard from Arlington, Texas, who plays at the Montverde (Fla.) Academy, picked the Cowboys over Florida, Kentucky, Washington and North Carolina.

Cunningham is OSU’s first five-star prospect since signing Marcus Smart in 2012.

Wednesday is the first day of the early signing period for basketball. The Cowboys are also expecting four-star recruit Rondel Walker, a shooting guard at Putnam West High School, to sign on Wednesday.

According to 247sports, Cunningham and Walker’s commitments have given the Cowboys a top-25 recruiting class for 2020. OSU entered this season with a top-25 class for 2019.