California to become the first state to extend health benefits to some who live in US illegally

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
They could certainly try a little harder to not make it blatantly obviously they're not trying to do anything to curb illegal immigration... @CaliforniaCowboy , you must either have a REALLY good job or REALLY like surfing to be lasting there. I honestly don't know how you do it without going insane...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-health-care-immigrants-insurance/1406629001/
California was poised Monday to become the first state to provide health care coverage to young, low-income adults living in the country illegally after legislative leaders provided a thumbs-up to Gov. Gavin Newsom's $98 million plan targeting almost 100,000 low-income adults.
The full Legislature still must sign off on the plan that would make such immigrants between the ages of 19 and 25 eligible for Medi-Cal, the state's Medicaid program. The deal was a win for Newsom, who rejected as too expensive a state Senate plan to include adults 65 and older.
Anthony Wright, executive director of the advocacy group Health Access, said further expansion of the program could come in the future.
"We will continue to pursue steps towards the Governor’s & Legislature’s shared goal of getting to universal coverage in the next few years," Wright posted on Twitter.
The move is part of a larger effort to ensure everyone in the state has access to health insurance. The proposal also makes California the first state subsidize insurance for middle-income families. A family of four earning as much as six times the federal poverty level — or more than $150,000 a year — would be eligible for $100 a month from the government to help pay for insurance. Newsom had initially balked at the subsidy, but ultimately relented.
Lawmakers have until Saturday to approve the budget or face losing their pay.
“California believes that health is a fundamental right,” said state Sen. Holly Mitchell, a Los Angeles Democrat who led the budget negotiations.

In this May 9 photo, Gov. Gavin Newsom gestures to a chart as he discusses his revised state budget during a news conference in Sacramento. California lawmakers and Gov. Newsom broadly agree on a $213 billion state budget that spends more on immigrants and the poor. But they're still debating over how far those program expansions should go and how to pay for them. They're now in the final days of negotiations ahead of a June 15 deadline. (Photo: AP PHOTO)

But to pay for part of it, the state will begin taxing people who don’t have health insurance. The plan is similar to a part of former President Barack Obama’s health care law that Republicans in Congress eliminated as part of the 2017 overhaul to the tax code.
Republicans on the legislative committee negotiating the budget voted against the proposal, arguing it was not fair to give health benefits to people who are in the country illegally while taxing people who are here legally for not purchasing health insurance.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm actually shocked he rejected another plan as being too expensive. I didn't think there was a Democrat left on the planet who could even comprehend that concept.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I'm actually shocked he rejected another plan as being too expensive. I didn't think there was a Democrat left on the planet who could even comprehend that concept.
wait, so he rejected a plan to increase medicare funding for 65 and older, and instead brought in funding for illegals between 19-25?

just devil's advocate here, who needs more medical insurance help - seniors on a fixed income, or able bodied adults who can WORK and pay for their insurance needs? Talk about throwing granny off a cliff...

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
wait, so he rejected a plan to increase medicare funding for 65 and older, and instead brought in funding for illegals between 19-25?

just devil's advocate here, who needs more medical insurance help - seniors on a fixed income, or able bodied adults who can WORK and pay for their insurance needs? Talk about throwing granny off a cliff...
Oh come on you know that the dreamers of the 19 to 25 age group who are here illegally are pretty much just going to college on the taxpayers dime anyway. I mean you may find some that are working but probably the ones who are doing most of the work are older than 25. This is just another attempt at trying to give those young dreamers the feeling that they are truly US citizens and make them want to push for citizenship to be given to them on a blanket level without having to go through the normal red tape.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Which of those groups is more likely to be able to legally vote before they die. For that matter which group is more likely to vote illegally now. There's your answer.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
They could certainly try a little harder to not make it blatantly obviously they're not trying to do anything to curb illegal immigration... @CaliforniaCowboy , you must either have a REALLY good job or REALLY like surfing to be lasting there. I honestly don't know how you do it without going insane...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-health-care-immigrants-insurance/1406629001/
Neither, no, and nope... as for insane, you may have a winner there.

Actually, golden handcuffs keeping me here (so to speak).... which very well could be about as insane as a millennial thinking they'll be able to retire solely on Social Security. (when the sane know that it won't even exist by then)

I mean seriously, the State's retirement pension obligation is badly underfunded, and instead of trying to meet the obligations to their citizens, they propose wasting more money on illegals. It is literally the definition of insanity.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Neither, no, and nope... as for insane, you may have a winner there.

Actually, golden handcuffs keeping me here (so to speak).... which very well could be about as insane as a millennial thinking they'll be able to retire solely on Social Security. (when the sane know that it won't even exist by then)

I mean seriously, the State's retirement pension obligation is badly underfunded, and instead of trying to meet the obligations to their citizens, they propose wasting more money on illegals. It is literally the definition of insanity.
This is as insane as Vermont (I think, might have been a neighboring state) coming up with money specifically targeted for illegals to pursue college. 'You're a taxpaying citizen of the state with kids, too? Tough $hit, we're going to prioritize people's kids who aren't even citizens!'

Absolutely insane.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
This is as insane as Vermont (I think, might have been a neighboring state) coming up with money specifically targeted for illegals to pursue college. 'You're a taxpaying citizen of the state with kids, too? Tough $hit, we're going to prioritize people's kids who aren't even citizens!'

Absolutely insane.
we've had that for a long time, and it's not widely known that a portion of the student's payments go to a fund that is used to grant school to even more of them. Yep... we're causing students to take out even larger loans to provide money to give to other students..... none of it makes a bit of sense.