Bye Bye Trade War? China Plans $1 Trillion Buying Spree to Reduce US Trade Deficit

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Chinese president Xi Jinping's administration confirmed an initial trade agreement with the U.S., mollifying U.S. investors who questioned why Beijing hadn't confirmed the pact more quickly.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.3 percent to 28, 225 afterward, while the broader S&P 500 and tech-heavy Nasdaq also notched gains.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/china-says-major-progress-made-on-first-phase-of-trade-deal

So phase one is coming to a close, they are immediately going to start phase 2. USMCA will finally be moving through the house and onto the senate. NEXT!!!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1205520992329711621
Maybe I'm slow here...but that must be "new" math.
Seems to me that we decrease our trade deficit with them next year IF, and it's a big IF, they abide by their promise...what am I missing?

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Maybe I'm slow here...but that must be "new" math.
Seems to me that we decrease our trade deficit with them next year IF, and it's a big IF, they abide by their promise...what am I missing?
If the end result is Intellectual Property protection, and end to forced technology transfers, etc...it was worth every penny.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yep, seems like the Lease agreements I do all the time.
1st step is Tenant Improvement and Capital Investment...followed by a promise by the tenant to pay us rent over a long period of time (usually paying for the Tenant Improvement capital cost and expenses in year 3 and entering the profit zone). Pretty immature to not understand that you have to invest first to get a return.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1205520992329711621
Lots of funny numbers being thrown around. We did around 9 billion in ag trade with China last year 2018. 26 billion was all time high in 2012. Around 20 billion in 2017. China dropped the tariffs on U.S. ag products coming into the negotiations. So what is this tariff he is talking about U.S. farmers paying. They don't pay the tariffs Trump imposes on China. This tweet is confusing as all get out and makes no sense.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Are you thinking the Visegrad countries or some mix of Italy/Greece/Spain?
Here’s a good read on eu judicial overreach and the impact it’s having on the v4, in particular Poland, which I think we agreed was likely next.

https://visegradpost.com/en/2020/01...y-defends-itself-against-eu-supported-judges/

I know I was off a bit on timing but I felt confident it was going to get done. I see people are spraining knees and ankles jumping to conclusions on the P1 China deal, the text of the deal won’t be out for another week or so at that point we’ll have the opportunity to see if there were substantive concessions.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Here’s a good read on eu judicial overreach and the impact it’s having on the v4, in particular Poland, which I think we agreed was likely next.

https://visegradpost.com/en/2020/01...y-defends-itself-against-eu-supported-judges/

I know I was off a bit on timing but I felt confident it was going to get done. I see people are spraining knees and ankles jumping to conclusions on the P1 China deal, the text of the deal won’t be out for another week or so at that point we’ll have the opportunity to see if there were substantive concessions.
Read an article on Poland fairly recently where one of their judges said they may need to leave the EU due sovereignty issues regarding the Constitution, will be interesting to watch this.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Read an article on Poland fairly recently where one of their judges said they may need to leave the EU due sovereignty issues regarding the Constitution, will be interesting to watch this.
I read the something similar

I also heard there’s more to the P1 than most think. Specifically in the areas of ip and ag. I’m looking forward to reading the text once it’s released.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I read the something similar

I also heard there’s more to the P1 than most think. Specifically in the areas of ip and ag. I’m looking forward to reading the text once it’s released.
Inclusion of IP would be interesting as that was reportedly one of the sticky points.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
We'll find out shortly
I reread my post, that didn’t come across as intended, tact is not my strong suit.
I agree that we’ll find out in a week or so, assuming they release it as per what’s been said.

Cato did a write up back in oct nov where they talked about all the points of phase 1 and then said, oh but China has already been making great strides on all these fronts, absolute absurdity and that there were courts that governed all of it, because a criminal always obeys the courts. My point was the Cato piece was pure conjecture driven by the writers perspective and bias.
That’s what I meant and should have posted.