Bye Bye Trade War? China Plans $1 Trillion Buying Spree to Reduce US Trade Deficit

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Beijing Makes Trump $1 Trillion Offer To Seal China Trade Deal; Dow Jones Rises

Beijing is reportedly promising the moon to reach a China trade deal with President Trump. A new Bloomberg News report says China has offered to buy more than $1 trillion in additional imports over six years, shrinking its $323 billion trade surplus with the U.S. to zero by 2024. While investors are increasingly confident that a China trade deal will happen, the news of a Chinese buying spree added a little hot sauce to the Dow Jones and broader stock market rally on Friday.

https://www.investors.com/news/econ...eSlUfdJATOVKM6phCupvE5lajK_CRIMOfZ-ZZ8vAPBDAQ

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm still opposed to Trump's use of Tariffs and ramping up the trade war like this is not going to be easy or quick. I have to believe that China is counting on Trump losing in 2020 and having a president willing to go back to the status quo that favors them. What they're doing right now has got to be hurting them as well. If Trump wins in 2020, they might be forced to play ball.

At the same time, part of me has to at least admire a president, who has to know his re-election hinges on the economy, willing to put that at risk to try and fix things that need fixing.....because let's be honest, we, the US, have been getting short shrift when it comes to trade.

Mr. President, please ease up on the trade war....none of us want the complete insanity of the left in the White House. Come back to it after the election. In the immortal words of Barack Obama; "you'll have more power to do that in your second term".

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So can I take it that you think the trade war is easy to win as well?

In case you haven’t been paying attention, stuff is starting to hit the fan. They are going to wait the dipshit out and the losers are going to continue to be the American people. This whole thing was stupid.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/economy/trade-war-china-yuan/index.html
I'm paying attention.... in case you weren't the past 20 years.. stuff already hit the fan, which is what Trump is trying to correct. Sure there is some risk in taking on the 2nd largest economy in the world, but if he/we don't do it then who will?

The "American people" are going to pay for it one way or the other (either by paying more short term, or long term losing more jobs and more technical advantage). In case you weren't paying attention the past 40 years.

I don't know if it was stupid or not... was entering WWII stupid? Was challenging Russia in the Cold War stupid?

We're not trying to win a trade war - we're trying to get to zero, but if it takes a trade war to get to zero then it is probably long overdue.

The good from this challenge far out-ways any real risk.

We should not take this approach with our friends and ally's - but come on, this is freaking communist china, and they have publicly stated their goal is to become the top (top everything).

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I'm still opposed to Trump's use of Tariffs and ramping up the trade war like this is not going to be easy or quick. I have to believe that China is counting on Trump losing in 2020 and having a president willing to go back to the status quo that favors them. What they're doing right now has got to be hurting them as well. If Trump wins in 2020, they might be forced to play ball.

At the same time, part of me has to at least admire a president, who has to know his re-election hinges on the economy, willing to put that at risk to try and fix things that need fixing.....because let's be honest, we, the US, have been getting short shrift when it comes to trade.

Mr. President, please ease up on the trade war....none of us want the complete insanity of the left in the White House. Come back to it after the election. In the immortal words of Barack Obama; "you'll have more power to do that in your second term".
I'm not really buying this (I was with you on the first 2 paragraphs, not the third).

It appears that China is about to crack - and Trump in his shot through the heart approach to negotiations is intentionally forcing the issue at a time when China can least afford to play roulette with him.

Trump and China has set till Sept first for the truce to expire, and when China did not deliver at the G20 negotiations, Trump comes right out and says I'm telling you right this minute we going to do more (this, this, and this) at the end of the month if you don't honor our truce with some substance. China in turn resorts to illegal international money fixing - which will only get the entire world on Trump's side (as if they hadn't already picked sides).

China's Economy Falters; Slowest Growth In Nearly 3 Decades
July 15, 2019

"The United States Tariffs are having a major effect on companies wanting to leave China for non-tariffed countries," he tweeted. "Thousands of companies are leaving. This is why China wants to make a deal with the U.S., and wishes it had not broken the original deal in the first place."

Nov 6, 2010
As much as I can't stand Trump for his behavior and demonizing the Latin community, which is very personal to me, this is an area I'd very much like to support him on. I think this is a fight worth sacrificing for, but I also fear Trump is too stupid to lead said fight.

Mar 11, 2006
Although I admire doing something unpopular and with short term pain that can lower re-election strength, this wouldn’t be my top issue on this. I would have much rather him held firm on a balanced budget with no spending increases.

That will definitely cause a short term recession and probably doom re-election, but we HAVE to do this at some point. The biggest threat to our future is not climate change, but our incredibly increasing national debt. It is an albatross on future generations.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
As much as I can't stand Trump for his behavior and demonizing the Latin community, which is very personal to me,.
Trump has never ever done that.... my gawd man... get a grip.

show me where Trump demonizes the Latin community - that comment is absolutely asinine.

It's not true.

He supported DACA (even increased it) as part of his drive for wall funding (rejected by Pelosi)

Latino employment is at an all-time high

Obama deported far more than Trump has.

Trump is not the racist and bigot that YOU are trying to make him out to be....

Though Latino voters are a key part of the Democratic coalition, there is a larger bloc of reliable Republican Latinos than many think. And the GOP’s position among Latinos has not weakened during the Trump administration, despite the president’s rhetoric against immigrants and the party’s shift to the right on immigration.

In November’s elections, 32 percent of Latinos voted for Republicans, according to AP VoteCast data. The survey of more than 115,000 midterm voters — including 7,738 Latino voters — was conducted for The Associated Press by NORC at the University of Chicago.

Other surveys also found roughly one-third of Latinos supporting the GOP. Data from the Pew Research Center and from exit polls suggests that a comparable share of about 3 in 10 Latino voters supported Trump in 2016. That tracks the share of Latinos supporting Republicans for the last decade.

The stability of Republicans’ share of the Latino vote frustrates Democrats, who say actions like Trump’s family separation policy and his demonization of an immigrant caravan should drive Latinos out of the GOP.

Nov 6, 2010
Trump has never ever done that.... my gawd man... get a grip.

show me where Trump demonizes the Latin community - that comment is absolutely asinine.

It's not true.

He supported DACA (even increased it) as part of his drive for wall funding (rejected by Pelosi)

Latino employment is at an all-time high

Obama deported far more than Trump has.

Trump is not the racist and bigot that YOU are trying to make him out to be....

Though Latino voters are a key part of the Democratic coalition, there is a larger bloc of reliable Republican Latinos than many think. And the GOP’s position among Latinos has not weakened during the Trump administration, despite the president’s rhetoric against immigrants and the party’s shift to the right on immigration.

In November’s elections, 32 percent of Latinos voted for Republicans, according to AP VoteCast data. The survey of more than 115,000 midterm voters — including 7,738 Latino voters — was conducted for The Associated Press by NORC at the University of Chicago.

Other surveys also found roughly one-third of Latinos supporting the GOP. Data from the Pew Research Center and from exit polls suggests that a comparable share of about 3 in 10 Latino voters supported Trump in 2016. That tracks the share of Latinos supporting Republicans for the last decade.

The stability of Republicans’ share of the Latino vote frustrates Democrats, who say actions like Trump’s family separation policy and his demonization of an immigrant caravan should drive Latinos out of the GOP.
Dude, whatever.