Butler vs OSU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 24, 2011
Since our last Sweet 16, we have won one NCAA Tourney game.

Butler, with about 5,000 students, has won 18 tourney games, been to 4 Sweet 16’s, and 2 Final Fours. Ranked in the top 10 this year, they are good odds to make it 20 tourney wins.

Coaching makes a huge difference. Our AD is a massive failure at picking basketball coaches.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Wow, another "let's bash the coach/ad" post....... *yawn*

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2005
They also play in a weak conference so they are basically guaranteed a tourney slot every year. Big 12 is brutal and if you are just a little behind things can spiral in a hurry.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
how quick we turn
I don't know that I'd say it's a quick turn. We've been in a state of decline for 15 years and we've slowly sunk to maybe the worst team in the conference the last few years. Our starters all have another year of experience and yet we look no better than we did a year ago. That is alarming to me. A couple nice road/neutral site wins, then we get thumped by anybody with a pulse on our home court. It's a mirror image of last year with a year of experience and actual bodies on the bench. I'm glad Boynton slayed it in recruiting cause if not his seat would be thermonuclear right now. We should be the clear #2 in our conference in basketball yet here we are again wandering the wilderness. I guess our fate was sealed when self turned us down in 08. Maybe in a quarter century Phil Forte will be forced out of a blue blood into our job by a recruiting scandal and Cowboy basketball can be competitive and fun again.

Aug 2, 2011
Butler is just one example

Any team that makes it to the Sweet 16 any year has won twice as many touney games as us since 2005!

Think Florida Gulf Coast

Its pathetic
We are not a basketball school

Aug 2, 2011
They also play in a weak conference so they are basically guaranteed a tourney slot every year. Big 12 is brutal and if you are just a little behind things can spiral in a hurry.
They do not play in a weak bball conference. Even if they did their tourney results speak for themselves

Feb 18, 2009
I am not sure what people expected. Our core group wasn't very good last year and they're still the starting 5.

What made people think bringing in a batch of freshmen was suddenly going to change that? We still have a jimmy's and joe's issue. What scares me the most is the possibility of an x's and o's issue which puts us even further behind.

Simple fact is a minimum of 40% of our starting five wouldn't see more than about 10-15 a game for any other conference team max, one of them probably doesn't play even 10. Possible that number could be 60-80% depending on which team we're talking about.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
I am not sure what people expected. Our core group wasn't very good last year and they're still the starting 5.

What made people think brining in a batch of freshmen was suddenly going to change that? We still have a jimmy's and joe's issue. What scares me the most is the possibility of an x's and o's issue which puts us even further behind.

Simple fact is a minimum of 40% of our starting five wouldn't see more than about 10-15 a game for any other conference team max, one of them probably doesn't play even 10. Possible that number could be 60-80% depending on which team we're talking about.
Maybe that’s why our basketball team is in a pickle.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Boynton gets next year to convince me. He'll have a 2 year starter at point and center, both pretty good players. The freshmen on this year's team will have adjusted to the college game. AND he has some very good recruits coming in. If he can't challenger for the conference title and a top 16 seed in the tourney next year, we'll know he's not the answer. And I think that's being generous.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
how quick we turn
The funny thing is at Surly Horns (former the funniest fan site in the world, ShaggyBevo), as soon as they hire a coach, they start a "Fire (that coach)" post, which runs for years.

Plus, their admin guys are a lot less thin-skinned and not worried about any recruits or old ladies reading whatever they post. Some of the funniest, cleverest, intelligent posts by UT fans were by far the best of any fan message boards.