Business Owners opinions wanted

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
As a business owner, I get to see a lot of stuff that I did not in the corporate world. I am truly a man with many hats. So to my point, I remember when Lyndsey Graham was going off about the unemployment assistance. He was absolutely correct about people WANTING to be on unemployment. I HAD a good employee, not great but good. The moment that people heard about the 600 / week fed money, he withered to a shell of the good employee. He was trying to get fired, I documented everything and wrote him up. I tried to fix the issue and explain the issue with unemployment. In 13 weeks after the fed unemployment is gone, what are you going to do for a job. Sure you will make about what you were already making (1100 per week), and you don't have to work. What are you going to do after the fed money is gone? 30 million on unemployment and I will not rehire you, because of why he quit. Yes he quit, so he should off what he was working with. I hired someone the very next day, he was someone that I already was familiar with at the time. I did however post a job for a day. I got around 100 applications before I turned the ad off. People want to work for the most part, but dangle money and the lazy ones will show up.

My real reason for this post is :

How many business owners have already had fraudulent unemployment claims? I just filled out my 2nd in the last 4 days.

I googled the peoples names, I am almost certain that this is the work of Indentity thieves. One of the people that applied for a unemployment is a professor at Langston. The other was a women in Duncan, OK. My office is in Newcastle, which is a far distance from their locations.

Last edited:

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
As a business owner, I get to see a lot of stuff that I did not in the corporate world. I am truly a man with many hats. So to my point, I remember when Lyndsey Graham was going off about the unemployment assistance. He was absolutely correct about people WANTING to be on unemployment. I HAD a good employee, not great but good. The moment that people heard about the 600 / week fed money, he withered to a shell of the good employee. He was trying to get fired, I documented everything and wrote him up. I tried to fix the issue and explain the issue with unemployment. In 13 weeks after the fed unemployment is gone, what are you going to do for a job. Sure you will make about what you were already making (1100 per week), and you don't have to work. What are you going to do after the fed money is gone? 30 million on unemployment and I will not rehire you, because of why he quit. Yes he quit, so he should off what he was working with. I hired someone the very next day, he was someone that I already was familiar with at the time. I did however post a job for a day. I got around 100 applications before I turned the ad off. People want to work for the most part, but dangle money and the lazy ones will show up.

How many business owners have already had fraudulent unemployment claims? I just filled out my 2nd in the last 4 days.

I googled the peoples names, I am almost certain that this is the work of Indentity thieves. One of the people that applied for a unemployment is a professor at Langston. The other was a women in Duncan, OK. My office is in Newcastle, which is a far distance from their locations.

I had this convo with a small business owner I deal with on a real regular basis, as he is my customer.

That's a mentality, and it goes really deep into a person's character, and I'm one of those guys that believe the character one turns 21 with is the one you're stuck with for the rest of your life, in most instances. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part the people I knew when I was younger that were of strong character, still have them. Those that didn't, never developed one.

He hadn't had any fraudulent claims that he mentioned, but he had some pretty decent employees that really hit the skids, and he pays pretty well. They'd rather have less for doing nothing than having more and have to get up and go clock in everyday.

Clearly, all of the people on unemployment are not like this, but some are.

That's life. Some people suk.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
When I was working, I had the opportunity to interface with hundreds of employees (out of a North American workforce of +5k) through all disciplines - field, technical, professional, clerical, trades, highly educated, nominally educated, Canadians, immigrants, etc, etc. In my experience there are hard workers and f-offs at most every level and discipline. But generally speaking, I found the field guys the hardest working, and the clerical staff the most inclined to f-off, take excessive vaca, and probably the first to take advantage of unemployment benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
A guy I have worked with for many years summed it up about as well as it can be said in one sentence. He told me "you can't pay someone to care." And that's god damn right. Similar to what Jakeman was saying about character.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom

Nothing you’ve said is wrong but a word of warning. Don’t be penny wise & pound foolish.
What you think is taking all the right precautions could come back to bite you when all this passes. The DOL has been adamant they are going to work aggressively with individual state labor commissions to pursue employers who the state feels are taking advantage of employees. The story you hear today can and probably will change if the employee goes to the labor board once the fed extended ui goes away and they no longer have a job.
Document everything he said, if someone else heard it have them put it on paper and sign it, it only takes one to do real damage to a business.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Nothing you’ve said is wrong but a word of warning. Don’t be penny wise & pound foolish.
What you think is taking all the right precautions could come back to bite you when all this passes.
Where am I being a penny wise and pound foolish. This is confusing me. All I did was to explain the real world actions he was doing to his family. He was trying to get fired we just tried to help him do better. He quit his job and is trying to get unemployment. I just received his letter. He said lack of work for the reason of termination. My letter reply to unemployment basically stated he quit a job he was getting 40 hrs and 7.5 hours of overtime per week.

Last edited:

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Where am I being a penny wise and pound foolish. This is confusing me. All I did was to explain the real world actions he was doing to his family. He was trying to get fired we just tried to help him do better. He quit his job and is trying to get unemployment. I just received his letter. He said lack of work for the reason of termination. My letter reply to unemployment basically stated he quit a job he was getting 40 hrs and 7.5 hours of overtime per week.
It was a caution not an accusation. Stories told today by employees of this type will likely change at some point and you may have the distinct pleasure (sarcasm) of defending yourself. My words of caution were about making sure everything he did/said and everything you said/ did are fully documented in case that day comes. A friendly or civil hey I get it that’s what you want to do, can become, for an attorney, a menacing threat to the employees livelihood and wellbeing.

Where possible if someone else heard the discussion have them document it as well.

My counsel to clients is to think of themselves/ their business as a castle then dig the widest and deepest moat around the castle that you can to protect yourself from attacks, you can’t stop them from happening but you can make it as difficult as possible for them to be successful.

Apr 14, 2009
Here in Oklahoma we have some A$$ holes trying to game the system. The Oklahoma employment security commission sent me a letter. It said that I was filing for unemployment. The claim had my name and my Social Security number. Of course it was a fraud. But I still had to answer. or someone would get a F-ing check.
Today’s paper said somewhere around 8000 fraudulent unemployment claims have been filed in the last 40 days.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Here in Oklahoma we have some A$$ holes trying to game the system. The Oklahoma employment security commission sent me a letter. It said that I was filing for unemployment. The claim had my name and my Social Security number. Of course it was a fraud. But I still had to answer. or someone would get a F-ing check.
Today’s paper said somewhere around 8000 fraudulent unemployment claims have been filed in the last 40 days.
It’s not unique to Oklahoma, but there are fraudulent claims, like you’re talking about and there are claims where the claimant is ineligible, that’s not necessarily fraud and that’s the one likely to garner an ambulance chasers attention, because lacking documentation the atty can turn it into a he said/ he said, that’s what I’m referring to.
Also it’d be interesting to understand which the paper was referring to, fraud is a much better headline than ineligible.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
If you fill out, complete and submit an application claim for unemployment benefits that knowingly contains inaccurate information, it’s fraud. In my experience, most claim processes weed-out the ineligible claimants that fill out the forms accurately and honestly prior to submission. Given most process and attestations required, it’s hard to fathom submitting a claim that is ultimately deemed simply ineligible without knowingly containing inaccurate information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I wasn’t doubting you, there are fraudulent claims however in the case they are referring to unemployment insurance fraud is the least of the perpetrators worry, they’re up on identity theft charges, even then the state doesn’t mention the 8000 figure nor does it say fraud.

In Oklahoma and most other states, currently meaning during the chinavirus time period, you are eligible (eligible doesn’t mean you will receive it means you are not ineligible) even if you quit. Then once you are deemed ineligible for uei you can apply for PUA where you may very well be eligible, through that program.

It’s a strange, and ever changing, new world my friend.