Burns Hargis retiring

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Was it a mistake or a calculated move by the board to clear the way to help move OSU forward? Schmidly never planed to be here a more than a few years, that is why he started building a house in the SW in his first year here.

If it was a calculated move it was disastrous.. hopefully we learned from that mistake and OU recent mistakes.

Although I will say that after Boren's long tenure, OU was desperately bloated in many areas and needed to clean house. The danger in that is many good people leave as well and they did.

I don't believe that OSU is bloated and Burns Hargis is leaving OSU in a much better place than before he got here, so I don't believe we need Schmidly type.. just someone who can continue the momentum.

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We need to start a write in campaign for me.

I'll replace Pete's shotgun with an AK. I'll eliminate the Philosophy and Sociology classes and divert their $360 annual budget to the athletic department, and allow alcohol on campus.

Mull it over.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
We need to start a write in campaign for me.

I'll replace Pete's shotgun with an AK. I'll eliminate the Philosophy and Sociology classes and divert their $360 annual budget to the athletic department, and allow alcohol on campus.

Mull it over.
I'll begin fund raising.

Is it ok if I refer to you as The Big Guy?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
If it was a calculated move it was disastrous.. hopefully we learned from that mistake and OU recent mistakes.

Although I will say that after Boren's long tenure, OU was desperately bloated in many areas and needed to clean house. The danger in that is many good people leave as well and they did.

I don't believe that OSU is bloated and Burns Hargis is leaving OSU in a much better place than before he got here, so I don't believe we need Schmidly type.. just someone who can continue the momentum.
First, I like how we’re becoming academically positioned in terms of both technology and research, and I hope that trend continues. Second, whoever it is better have a pretty damned good and crystal clear understanding of what FAMILY means when it comes to students, professors, administrators, and alumni. Last, I’d like to believe the new President can work well with the next AD and take that department to another level. The OPSU President resume summary looks pretty good, but does he have good experience working with an AD to develop an athletic program?

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
https://news.okstate.edu/articles/c...-burns-hargis-announces-retirement-plans.html

He has brought passion and ownership to oSu alumni.
He has brought together the arts and money for our campuses
His legacy will be hard for any future leader to stand up to but I am sure he wants the next leader to do more.
I want a dynamic leader for our oSu system. Not a person interested in for me or against me

The cards will probably tumble now, AD.

Tu demasiado viejo, but have dinero

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Burns Hargis willl be a tough act to follow. The job of University President certainly has shifted during my time. There were a lot of academicians that were not happy when OSU hired a non PHD, non-academic as the president. However the presidents job now is more fundraising, cheer leading and politicking now. The VP's can handle the academics.
It is a little like the AD position used to be. Someone got it as a gift for being a good coach a lot of years. Now we've leaned running a department that creates almost $100 million in revenue and employs over 200 people is not just a retirement gift to an old coach.

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
Maybe they will call someone home who could do the job infinitely better than I could :lol:

https://twitter.com/casdas29/status/1311313853129482242?s=20
Heard a interview with her that as I recall Tom Dirato did after she got the Baylor job. I think she would be an impressive candidate. From Perkins originally, has a PhD, been at Baylor, Pepperdine, and George Washington University in their business schools.