Buckle Up - Oil Markets are in Upheaval

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Even if you don't care about the externalities, the direct cash subsidies are still 292 billion world wide, the point still stands that there are plenty of subsidies out there, for plenty of different industries, if you want to focus on one thats your business, but i dont think it makes much sense
https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2018/03/23/renewable-energy-subsidies-yes-or-no/#574f86566e23
A study by the University of Texas projected that U.S. energy subsidies per megawatt hour in 2019 would be $0.5 for coal, $1- $2 for oil and natural gas, $15- $57 for wind and $43- $320 for solar.

I don't like subsidies in general, but our country is obviously energy dependent, so to some extent they're a necessary evil. I wouldn't mind providing subsidies to renewable energy if they were more cost effective, but the technology isn't there yet.
Just think of the wasted ENERGY (and further damage to the planet) chasing uneconomic alternative energy sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Even if you don't care about the externalities, the direct cash subsidies are still 292 billion world wide, the point still stands that there are plenty of subsidies out there, for plenty of different industries, if you want to focus on one thats your business, but i dont think it makes much sense
Now its world wide?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
https://www.theatlantic.com/science...does-world-subsidize-oil-coal-and-gas/589000/
The burning of fossil fuels releases deadly air pollution, hastens the destruction of the climate, and (sometimes) increases traffic fatalities. And since all of those things kill people, they also depress a country’s tax base. Account for both the harms and the smaller tax base, says the IMF, and you produce an overwhelming number. In 2017, post-tax subsidies came to $4.9 trillion, or 94 percent of the total.

The numbers quoted by the Forbes article aren't real. 94% of the subsidies they're claiming are based off the theoretical cost of harming the environment through climate change. The actual revenue we spend annually on fossil fuel subsidies is much lower.
You act like subsidies are free.

Solar is an absolute scam on the public. Wind is for the most part also a scam on the public. Wind advocates are incapable of providing an honest analysis of the true economics. They always ignore subsidies, maintenance capex and the fact they’ve duped a portion of the public into buying their service as a proxy for wind demand.

Apr 7, 2006
To be clear I absolutely believe renewables should be part of the long term energy plans for the US - but I see it more as a means to fill the gap between new demand and current oil supply - and that wedge would grow as economic oil becomes more scarce.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
You act like subsidies are free.

Solar is an absolute scam on the public. Wind is for the most part also a scam on the public. Wind advocates are incapable of providing an honest analysis of the true economics. They always ignore subsidies, maintenance capex and the fact they’ve duped a portion of the public into buying their service as a proxy for wind demand.

If solar has been a scam, call me Madoff. I've been lovin being a scammer!

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 7.43.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 7.44.49 PM.png

Apr 7, 2006
If solar has been a scam, call me Madoff. I've been lovin being a scammer!

View attachment 78207
View attachment 78208
Let's not confuse your ability to show a profit on the stock market with the technology's ability to replace fossil fuels. Oil and gas is on the verge of a major crossroads that will force changes. Ironically, a future with far less US oil and more renewable energy was far more likely a week ago than it is today. Significant consolidation in O&G will slow down the overdrilling which in turn causes less reserve depletion, provide price support and thus allow for a more sustained future of US oil.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Let's not confuse your ability to show a profit on the stock market with the technology's ability to replace fossil fuels. Oil and gas is on the verge of a major crossroads that will force changes. Ironically, a future with far less US oil and more renewable energy was far more likely a week ago than it is today. Significant consolidation in O&G will slow down the overdrilling which in turn causes less reserve depletion, provide price support and thus allow for a more sustained future of US oil.
Really it was mostly a joke.

But, if/when all of those predictions of yours finally come true, the market will show that also.
The stock market is a discounting mechanism.
The message board is a BS mechanism.
Huge penalty if you are wrong in the market. No penalty if you are wrong here.
Everyone is confident here, few are so confident there.