Breakout players this coming football season?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2012
Thought it would be cool to start a thread discussing who we might think will have a breakout year this upcoming season in each phase of the game (Offense, defense and special teams)! I haven't seen one posted but I might've missed it, if there has already been one then mods feel free to delete.

This could be anybody: Incoming athletes from 2015 recruiting class, redshirts from last year, guys who played small roles last year or guys who played a lot last year and you're thinking they're going to have a huge year!

My picks:
Offense- Sheperd. I know Sheperd had a solid season in 2014 but I expect him to have a very good season here in 2015! I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will be a contender for the Biletnikoff Award!

Defense- Seth Jacobs. This is a tough one to pick because I feel that there are so many on defense that are capable of having huge years: Bean, Ogbah, Sterns, Lampkin, Simmons, Richards, etc... Seth played good this past season and got much better as the year went on. He was all over the field against ou and Washington! He will be experienced this season along with his talents.

Special Teams- Grogan. I would like to pick a return guy here but I feel like Grogan is going to be a very good weapon for us next season. He, like many, got much better as the season went on and it looks like he got his problem fixed with his kicking mechanics or injury, whatever it was. Very excited about his future here!

Apr 16, 2008
Offense-James Washington. I think he and Shep will be incredible next year. Defense-Ramon Richards. Got thrown into the fire last year and made some mistakes but made some big plays as well. ST-Grogan bc I dont know who the return guys will be.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
With all the attention Ofbah will draw, who on the D-Line will get a chance to shine?

May 29, 2012
Enid, Oklahoma
I'm really looking forward to watch all of those guys. I'm also thinking Shepard, Washington, Richards, and Jacobs should really be a factor this year. But my main choice over all will be Rudolph. I see him lighting up opponents defences all year long. I honestly think we will be a Big 12 Champ contender.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
When I think of a breakout player, I think of someone who is just now going to have a lot of success and hasn't been on the radar yet.

Last year I said Ogbah and that worked out.

This year, I'll go with Palelei on offense and Maile on defense.

Last edited:

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Offense - I am going to have to go with Chris Carson at RB. I think we will have an OL that will be good if not formidable along with a QB and WRs that are going to get a lot of attention. With that setup I think Carson can go crazy! He sure seems to have the ability and certainly the motivation.

Defense - Hard to go away from Ogbah here. Just think that if he stays healthy he is going to have the kind of year we have not seen in awhile from a DE.

Special Teams - Got to go with Grogan. I think his health will stay good and he will become the stable kicking force that we have come to rely on in years past.

Jan 26, 2006
Round Rock, Tx
When I think of a breakout player, I think of someone who is just now going to have a lot of success and hasn't been on the radar yet.

agree, that is why I would not consider Ogbah or Jacobs. They were both very good last year. When you talk about breakout players I would like to see Curry have a great year.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
When you say breakout player... I'm not going to include players who already... make plays, in their respective positions.

O - Give me Marcell Ateman. Time to live up to that frame and put in the work

D - Vili Levini/Darrion Daniels - With Ogbah and Bean getting attention, it will open the door for these two.

S/T - I think Sheperd will be a dynamic kick/punt returner given the chance.

Not sure who will be the kick returner, but I feel like Sheperd has the ability to be really good in this position.

Dec 13, 2011
O- I'm going with Childs and Lacy

D- I think we will see a lot of plays made by the new CB Hunter and DT Maile

S/T- Look for Mays to be the punt returner and kick returner

Poke4Real

Territorial Marshal
Sep 12, 2006
Third Coast
Offense - Palelei. He's the most talented overall back we have (including when Carson makes it to campus).

Defense - Leveni or Taylor. Dark Horse: Jarrell Owens.

ST - Whomever we let return kicks or punts. Sheperd would be a good bet.

Jan 19, 2012
Okay City
I like a guy named Mason Rudolph for the offensive breakout player of the year. He only played in a few games, but showed some real promise. Per my Magic 8-Ball, if he stays healthy, he'll be on several awards list come the end of the year.

On defense, I think Levini/Bean/Jacobs will be a new name for many across the country.

ST- Grogan will continue to improve, and whoever's returning kicks/punts should do well.

I'm adding a comeback POTY, and it's going to Peterson. He played solid, but never garnered national attention, at least not what I believe we all expected. Look for him to play with a chip, and have an All-Conference/All-American type year.

Personally, I think our defensive gets back to causing turnovers in bunches.

Oct 30, 2012
I like a guy named Mason Rudolph for the offensive breakout player of the year. He only played in a few games, but showed some real promise. Per my Magic 8-Ball, if he stays healthy, he'll be on several awards list come the end of the year.

On defense, I think Levini/Bean/Jacobs will be a new name for many across the country.

ST- Grogan will continue to improve, and whoever's returning kicks/punts should do well.

I'm adding a comeback POTY, and it's going to Peterson. He played solid, but never garnered national attention, at least not what I believe we all expected. Look for him to play with a chip, and have an All-Conference/All-American type year.

Personally, I think our defensive gets back to causing turnovers in bunches.
I'm with you on our secondary! I think it will be very good this season! We're very deep! Corners: Peterson, Lampkin, Richards, Hunter (transfer), Curry. Then at safety: Sterns, Flowers, Morrow, Roberts, Robertson, Harding. We will definitely be able to stay fresh throughout the game!

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
agree, that is why I would not consider Ogbah or Jacobs. They were both very good last year. When you talk about breakout players I would like to see Curry have a great year.
I don't think either Curry will have much of a chance to impress this year. They are both going to be buried in the depth chart.

Darius would have to fight through Peterson, Richards, Lampkin, or Hunter to get meaningful PT. I don't think that is going to happen.

CJ...I just don't think he is going to get there. Too much talent at receiver and a lot of youth at that.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
When you say breakout player... I'm not going to include players who already... make plays, in their respective positions.

O - Give me Marcell Ateman. Time to live up to that frame and put in the work

D - Vili Levini/Darrion Daniels - With Ogbah and Bean getting attention, it will open the door for these two.

S/T - I think Sheperd will be a dynamic kick/punt returner given the chance.

Not sure who will be the kick returner, but I feel like Sheperd has the ability to be really good in this position.
If Ateman continues to be lazy, look for RS Freshman Keenen Brown to fill his role. At 6'3" and 215lbs he is pretty much a clone of Ateman physically...and from practice reports last year, he was an absolute beast on the scout team going up against our starters.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.

OK, but couldn't you come up with a selection process more original than those players with a, i, l, and e in their last names? C'mon! ;)