Brandon Weeden on why OSU football was more fun than minor league baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Brandon Weeden was talking about Oklahoma two-sport talent Kyler Murray the other day, when I asked him: “What did you like better, playing (baseball) in the minors or quarterbacking the Oklahoma State Cowboys?”

“Oh, quarterback,” Weeden replied. “Baseball was fun, especially my first couple years. But the longer you play, you’re on a bus for so many hours of the day, it becomes a grind. You’re not making a ton of money. I think we played 140 or 150 games. It felt like every single night.

“Football, man, there was nothing like it. Running out of the tunnel on a Saturday, to this day there’s not many things I can compare that to. That’s as good as it gets.”
Link

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
#TeamCate

I still think he didn't get a fair chance.
He as in Cate? If so, how in the world can you say such? Weeden was given the exact same chance but with greater difficulties brought on by the play of Cate.

Not saying Cate didn’t deserve another shot, but it was clear that night that Weeden was the real deal. And as long as Weeden was there, there was absolutely no justification to play Cate over him.

To be honest, that night Weeden proved he should have been playing long before then.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
He as in Cate? If so, how in the world can you say such? Weeden was given the exact same chance but with greater difficulties brought on by the play of Cate.

Not saying Cate didn’t deserve another shot, but it was clear that night that Weeden was the real deal. And as long as Weeden was there, there was absolutely no justification to play Cate over him.

To be honest, that night Weeden proved he should have been playing long before then.
Dude. Seriously? I'm obviously kidding. That was literally the worst display or quarterbacking I've ever seen. I knew someone would fall for that. I considered the winking emoji but I thought this would be more fun.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Since you all brought up the 2009 Colorado game, from our archives...

Tulsa World: Take me through that Colorado game.

Weeden: “It was kind of a bizarre week. Zac (Robinson) was such a tough dude and he hadn’t missed many games. So with him not playing and Alex (Cate) starting, just typical backup mentality going into it. Be ready if you’re called on.

“We had kind of scuffled with it in the first half (OSU trailed 14-10 at half). So at halftime I went in there thinking nothing was going to change, everything was going to stay the same or whatever, just to be ready.

“They told me I was going to get the nod and it’s pretty well-documented, I left my helmet on the sideline so I ran out, one of the first guys out of the tunnel and just kind of champing at the bit for my opportunity. I had been there for a few years, hadn’t played very much but just kind of excited for that opportunity and just kind of wanted to make the most of it. No one obviously knew who I was, guys were probably looking at me like, ‘God, we’re in trouble.’

“I wanted to make those guys confident and confident in me and I tell people this, I’m very serious when I say it: That night changed my life forever. Gave me the opportunities obviously for the following year to become a starter and kind of do the things we did. That was a big turning point for me as a player.”
Link

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
While I loved the CU game that night for the way Weeden took charge, I'll mostly never forget Boone in his colorful poncho/serape (???) and the wild horses his wife of the moment loved. That had to be a major factor in that splitting of the sheets...

Nov 8, 2007
While I loved the CU game that night for the way Weeden took charge, I'll mostly never forget Boone in his colorful poncho/serape (???) and the wild horses his wife of the moment loved. That had to be a major factor in that splitting of the sheets...
Does anyone have any pictures of this? I have told people this story and they think I am making it up. I need some evidence.

Nov 8, 2007
I remember this. Didn't it involve a falcon and a falconer that attacked his hat while Michael Martin Murphy was singing Wildfire? Only at OSU could we have something like this happen.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Stadium was half empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was still in my seat with my baby girl. I'll never forget how sick I was watching that performance in the first half. It was, maybe, the worst display of a QB that I can ever remember in Stillwater. The pass to Blackmon in that corner of the endzone was an eye opener. At that point, you knew we had something very special and OSU football was about to change.

In the end, great game. But saying Alex didn't have his shot? Um... yea, he did. Same as Brandon did.