Boynton

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
If you want to swing for the fences and go after a Lon Kruger-caliber replacement, then feel free to break out your pocketbook and chip in. Boyton makes about $1M. The ante will start around $3M. Self makes $7M. Who's writing that check??
Coach Boynton received a new contract after his first season. He'll be near $2M next year. I would think that we could generate enough additional ticket sales revenue to pay a $3 million salary if we hired a good coach and started winning games. I want Coach Boynton to succeed, but we'll have to move on if he doesn't.

1609880737989.png

Aug 19, 2006
I think next year could be make or break for him. If he can't get a winning record and continued improvement from his team it might be time to look elsewhere.......but I also don't know who you are going to get at the door for a university with NCAA sanctions still fresh and a murders row of a schedule each season. Might get a few more years of him because of that.
You are 100% correct in that it wasn’t so much Huggins making masterful adjustments it was a woefully inadequate Boynton making unnecessary substitutions and in game adjustments that were reflective of a team down double digits not up by 19.
They did the same thing against OU. Came back from a huge deficit. So it’s time for the Sooners to dump Kruger too right??

Your two bigs foul out and the rest of the guys can’t make an outside shot to save their lives. And that’s all on Boynton??

Aug 19, 2006
I think next year could be make or break for him. If he can't get a winning record and continued improvement from his team it might be time to look elsewhere.......but I also don't know who you are going to get at the door for a university with NCAA sanctions still fresh and a murders row of a schedule each season. Might get a few more years of him because of that.
Agree completely. He has to show some progress. He has the horses. Time to prove he can coach them up.

The difference I see so far this season is we’ve been close in the losses. There were a lot of games last season we just weren’t competitive in. That was was discouraging.

If this team regresses, it will be fair to put that on HCMB. Hopefully the young guys will continue to develop and figure out how to close games out.

We need him to be the real deal. Otherwise we’ll be back to where we were when they finally decided to move forward on from Ford.

Dec 9, 2013
They did the same thing against OU. Came back from a huge deficit. So it’s time for the Sooners to dump Kruger too right??

Your two bigs foul out and the rest of the guys can’t make an outside shot to save their lives. And that’s all on Boynton??
We are up 19 w 11ish minutes to go. Out of a timeout we sub to a guy who hasn’t played in a month and go to a full court press w traps in the corner against a 4 guard WV rotation. They immediately break & hit a 3. We throw over the top in transition to the sub who shoots a wild contested layup w little chance of going in nor do we get back on D and they hit another 3. Now your up 13 w 10 something to go. We got the lead by using Cade & Ice inside. Did we go back to that? Nope.

We had a 10 pt lead at half & Ice had 16 on 6/6. We come out to start the 2nd half and shoot 4 straight 3s early in the set. That’s just stupid. Impose your will and make them make adjustments. You are winning by double digits. Why should you be making any changes on either side of the court until they adjust and figure you out?

I don’t care what uo does w Lon. I’m tired of watching undisciplined and unintelligent basketball. There is zero reason w our location, fan base & facilities that we can’t have quality basketball.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Agree 100%! People forget not only did MB not have any head coaching experience. He really had very little coaching experience period. He was primarily a recruiter. A “third chair” assistant. Most head coaches either work their way up from lower tier school to D1 to power 5 school, or from third chair to second to HC. Boynton skipped 4-5 years of growth.
If we’re to fire him, some other D1 school will get the benefit of his gaining experience at OSU. We will get someone worse while he is coaching in the sweet sixteen some day.
OSU...the athletic program where you always need to fear firing a coach because you'll never get anyone better. That sounds pathetic.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
We are up 19 w 11ish minutes to go. Out of a timeout we sub to a guy who hasn’t played in a month and go to a full court press w traps in the corner against a 4 guard WV rotation. They immediately break & hit a 3. We throw over the top in transition to the sub who shoots a wild contested layup w little chance of going in nor do we get back on D and they hit another 3. Now your up 13 w 10 something to go. We got the lead by using Cade & Ice inside. Did we go back to that? Nope.

We had a 10 pt lead at half & Ice had 16 on 6/6. We come out to start the 2nd half and shoot 4 straight 3s early in the set. That’s just stupid. Impose your will and make them make adjustments. You are winning by double digits. Why should you be making any changes on either side of the court until they adjust and figure you out?

I don’t care what uo does w Lon. I’m tired of watching undisciplined and unintelligent basketball. There is zero reason w our location, fan base & facilities that we can’t have quality basketball.
Excellent summary of last night's game. I've been a huge fan of Boynton, but he can't allow any more meltdowns like last night.
I also agree that this team plays extremely unintelligent basketball - almost out of control at times. Stupid fouls, continuous charges, terrible free throw shooting, needless 3 point attempts - basically summer league AAU ball. All of these issues are easy to correct. With former head coaches on the staff, I'm confused as to how they allow these type of mistakes to continue.
This is stating the obvious, but we really could of used Yor Anei last night. Not sure what's going on with Kalib Boone, but he's regressed from his play at the end of the season last year.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
OSU...the athletic program where you always need to fear firing a coach because you'll never get anyone better. That sounds pathetic.
This. I'm truly shocked by how pathetic some of our fans are. It makes me wonder if they hold standards this low for themselves and their children.

I believe OSU is extremely fertile ground for success, with tremendous potential if we ever dared to boldly see it through.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
HCMB is definitely looking more and more like our BB version of OU's John Blake then anything else.
Personally I disagree and I think/hope he is going to be a successful coach. This team is the first time its been "his team" and they look better than they have the last few years. That's even after the NCAA sanctions and he lost a guy in Yor Anei who would have made this team even better.

I think next year they continue to improve and are better and we start seeing sustained success from him as a coach.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This conference is tough from top to almost bottom. The refs suck. And Covid had killed home crowds. That said, the last 2 games have shown these guys have the ability to stand with anyone on an even playing field. We made free throws really on last night. Then we got our for some reason. We were making sure really but then they stopped falling. We very much are capable of playing good offense and defense and it shows. This team is right there and I'm going to wait until the end of the season to pass judgement. You guys cussing and getting into basically a pissing match on who loves coach but also hates him the most is ridiculous.

*Yes I know no one is cussing in this thread but I've seen it in game that's and heard it at the game last night.
That was the funniest because multiple bad calls by the refs to end the game up turned and we win. People cussing at the refs the last few minutes and then yelling and cussing at Boynton as they walk out of the game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
People yelled and cussed at Boynton at the game? Seems awkward when there is like 100 people in the stands. My wife would kill me when we got to the car.
There was at least 2500-3000 people I'd say. One of the largest crowds of the season.

Honestly not sure of the attendance limits but we had to be close.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This conference is tough from top to almost bottom. The refs suck. And Covid had killed home crowds. That said, the last 2 games have shown these guys have the ability to stand with anyone on an even playing field. We made free throws really on last night. Then we got our for some reason. We were making sure really but then they stopped falling. We very much are capable of playing good offense and defense and it shows. This team is right there and I'm going to wait until the end of the season to pass judgement. You guys cussing and getting into basically a pissing match on who loves coach but also hates him the most is ridiculous.

*Yes I know no one is cussing in this thread but I've seen it in game that's and heard it at the game last night.
That was the funniest because multiple bad calls by the refs to end the game up turned and we win. People cussing at the refs the last few minutes and then yelling and cussing at Boynton as they walk out of the game.

blaming the loss on the refs is weak. you should never, ever, blow a 19 point lead, at home, w/ 10 minutes left. PERIOD.........
I'm not blaming it on the refs, I'm just saying they didn't help and the fact that it's a tough conference combined with mistakes by our youth and by coach Boynton. It is not a single factor, fire Boynton because he's an idiot, kind of thing to me.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Coach Boynton received a new contract after his first season. He'll be near $2M next year. I would think that we could generate enough additional ticket sales revenue to pay a $3 million salary if we hired a good coach and started winning games. I want Coach Boynton to succeed, but we'll have to move on if he doesn't.

View attachment 88132
Jeez...only a weatherman can fail that much and still have a job...

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
I was very surprised OSU hired Boynton and a little upset to be honest. He's proved him self in a lot of ways up to this point mainly in the recruiting world, but there is no doubt that there are critical issues with his game management. He sounds so intelligent in interviews, and you can't help but like the guy when you listen to him but then the team goes through monumental droughts in game and it just doesn't make sense. I really don't think he is listening enough to his assistants. How is Sutton not saying "coach we need a timeout here". I don't know maybe he is and Boynton just ignores it. I've seen Sutton doing the Surrender Cobra (hands interlocked behind the head) a lot during games lately. I don't know if that's because he's frustrated with the players or with Boynton. Probably both.

In my opinion sometimes we go to Cade too much, and sometimes we don't enough. I hate when we don't feed his the ball more in the first half when he's scoring with ease. We all know that we are going to lose Cade, but if we lose Ice as well...YIKES. I assume he will come back, but if not I don't expect Boynton to run any kind of offense next season either after relying on those two so much.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Just a reminder how most of you guys suck.

The trashing you do on our coaches is pathetic.

Go on, enjoy the win...
Boynton and Gundy are in completely different situations. Boynton probably enjoys an 80% or higher fan base approval rating, compared to Gundy's 50/50 or less depending on the day.

We also pay Boynton a fraction of his worth while overpaying Gundy for years because he'll go court some crappy SEC school like Tenn or Ark if we don't shell out.

We need to pay Boynton a lot more, whether he likes it or not LOL. This is about keeping him in Stillwater more than it is paying him whatever he asks, which we have done. I just don't want UCLA or Arizona or Mich or FLA or another elite program offering him money he didn't know he wanted.