Boynton signs extension

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
1.6 million very fair. Good contract for up and coming coach who still has to prove himself . Let him coach 2 years now before we do anything. Get a recruiting class in here. Well done.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
I left the office about an hour before this news broke, and lamented that I wouldn't be around a device to share Mark Cooper's article with you. Better late than never, and the later version had more quotes and info, anyway:

“Money has never been a big deal to me because I never had any,” Boynton told the Tulsa World two weeks ago. “I don’t want people to think that there’s a certain level of pay that makes me happy.”

“I want to first thank coach Holder, President Burns Hargis and the OSU Board of Regents,” Boynton said in a news release. “One year ago they provided me with the opportunity of a lifetime. They believed in me, and their leap of faith is greatly appreciated. Today’s announcement signifies another level of commitment — a commitment to our staff, our program and our unified vision of what Cowboy basketball can become.”

“People on the outside would look at us and say, ‘The house is on fire.’” Boynton said. “I was yelling at the top of my lungs, ‘I’m inside. It’s not on fire. There’s some smoke, but it’s not on fire. We’re OK.’ We have a strong brand for basketball. You’re an attractive place for (recruits). If you can’t recruit, you have no chance. Recruiting is going pretty good. We’re not where we want to be, or where we hope to be a year from now, but we’re getting better traction on some pretty good kids. If you recruit, you have a chance.”
Link

Bill Haisten also wrote a column about Mike Holder's March this year compared to March last year...

Mike Holder’s March 2017 included a failed negotiation to keep basketball coach Brad Underwood, a search process that seemed flimsy and rushed, and the promotion of a mostly unknown assistant (Mike Boynton) who never before had been a head coach at any level.

Beyond the Oklahoma State basketball situation, Holder was frustrated that his attempt to raise money for a new baseball stadium was stuck in neutral. He was revving the engine, but there was no movement.

Whether Holder remains the OSU athletic director for 12 more weeks or for 12 more years, he will remember March 2018 as having been one of his favorite months.
Link

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Let's Sheep Working?? Is he calling us sheep? The players? I mean, a coach is kind of like a shepherd...

(Honestly though, whoever designed that font missed on the K.)

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Seriously, I know we don't ever sign players from Ohio, but you can never tell when using that font. Wish they would change it. I read Let Sheep Working too.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
1.6 million very fair. Good contract for up and coming coach who still has to prove himself . Let him coach 2 years now before we do anything. Get a recruiting class in here. Well done.
I agree, I think this is very good and shows room to grow.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mark Cooper has another update...

It’s safe to say that a year ago, Holder’s email inbox was vitriolic after fans watched Brad Underwood walk out of Stillwater and onto a jet for Illinois after one season, only to be replaced by an assistant coach that made most casual fans ask, “who?”

Asked Thursday about Boynton, Holder made it sound like a no-brainer to extend his deal.

“When you find a person like that, no matter what you’re in, whether it’s athletics or business, you need to latch onto him,” Holder said. “They’re hard to find.”

And about those emails Holder received last March?

This year, Holder says: “I haven’t gotten any.”
Link

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's been a great couple weeks for Oklahoma State Cowboy Sports and the University in general. If you haven't made it to Stillwater lately it's well worth a visit. The place has DRASTICALLY improved and is continuing to do so. It's a FAR different place than in 1987 when I walked across the stage at Gallagher Hall. Who would have believed that an expanded GIA, Boone Pickens Stadium, the Spears College of Business, an improved Union, a state of the art center for the arts and a grand new stadium would ALL take place in the decades since 1990. This is a period of unprecedented growth and improvement in all our programs and sports. I'm proud of what has been accomplished at our University. I put ZERO limits on what can occur at "little" ole Oklahoma State in the future. Limits would be silly, knowing what we know.

Btw, I like me some HCMB and think he will take us to high places in basketball again...conference championship high.

Last edited:

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Seriously, I know we don't ever sign players from Ohio, but you can never tell when using that font. Wish they would change it. I read Let Sheep Working too.
You people have a problem with providing employment opportunities for sooners and other sheepish critters?

Feb 18, 2009
Mark Cooper has another update...

Link
I think Boyton could be in Stillwater for a long time. We took a chance on him, he's going to prove us right, and he's the kind of guy that will value that forever. He will be fan favorite and a much loved coach, perhaps in the realm of Iba and Eddie if BOTH sides play their cards right. I really don't see him bolting for the NE. He's going to be an OSU favorite son if he can get players. That's all it will take. Blue collar, kick your ass, you may beat us but you'll pay for it players. That gym will be rocking.

I would love to have dinner/drinks with Gundy, Boynton and Holiday all at once. OSU is in a very good place right now. Can't wait to see where this goes.