Boynton, now that the season is done

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 24, 2008
Saint Meinrad, IN / Edmond, OK
Expectations were low and while on paper in may not look that great at the end the feel of this year was way different that the past 12yrs.

Since Eddie's relapse basketball has been a disappointing drag with occasional bright spots.

While the W/L record may not look much better after Boynton's first year the future seems way better. The big wins didn't feel like flukes like they always and under Sean and Travis.

The home losses to mediocre teams were head-scratchers, I won't deny that, but the regularity this season of winning on the road and winning vs ranked teams was something new.

I'm disappointed but okay with not making the NCAAs the first year. It almost feels more real, like a more grounded start to build upon. I look forward to more years of Boynton!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It's too small a sample to really make a determination on Boynton yet. Any coach should get 2 to 3 years to prove themselves. I wasn't sold on the hire either but the hire is done, and it's not going to change at this point so might as well give the man a chance and hope he succeeds. We were picked dead last and finished in a four way tie for 6th. It's true there were some puzzling losses but there were also some impressive wins. Bottom line is we just don't know at this point. We need to see how the team responds in the NIT and we need to see how Boynton does recruiting. If he can get some good recruits, I think he can coach.....have to wait and see.

As for the OP bringing up Ford, we had more than enough of a sample to make a determination on him. I liked Ford and think he can be a good coach somewhere, but he was obviously not a good fit at OSU for whatever reason....he needed to go and I do not want him back.
And anyone that says Ford could have gotten the same results as Boynton this year is drunk. What I saw this year was not Ford ball or even Underwood ball. It looked like OSU ball again.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Admittedly, I'm not a huge basketball fan. I was at OSU for our 2004 season, and fell in love with OSU basketball. I'll watch OSU and maybe the Thunder if they make the playoffs. That's about it.

So for me, its simple. Over the Ford years, OSU basketball became unwatchable to me. I couldn't bear it. Not because of the losses, per se, but it was just bad basketball. It didn't interest or entertain me enough to take time out to even put it up on my big screen at home, let alone drive up to stw.

This year is different somehow. Again, I'm not a basketball expert so I can't explain exactly what it is, but I find myself interested in watching us play again. I've sensed the same things I used to feel when Eddie was coaching - the feeling that our guys knew what they were doing, fought hard, and could hang with anyone.

In his first season, Boynton has taken me from not even knowing we had a game the night before to actually scheduling some of my evenings to make time to watch us play or listen on the radio.

Something is different.

Last edited:

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I have had reservations about Boynton since the hiring. Probably because of being burned by the previous two coaches. I like Boynton and hope he succeeds, just as I liked Ford and wanted him to succeed. But I am a results guy. It is not about potential or liking someone or other stuff. It is about getting OSU basketball back to being relevant. Sweet 16's, Elite 8's, FF's. Getting OSU back to the point where everyone asks how deep a run we can make instead of whether we should get in or not.
Nothing Underwood or Boynton have done the last two season exceeds what Ford would have done. Add to that Ford has in no way been implicated in any of the FBI stuff so far. And let me make it clear, I was screaming to get rid of Ford. I do not agree that Boynton did an excellent job this year. Or that he showed his potential. He did about what about a hundred other coaches could have done with what we had. Yes, we beat some really good teams, but we lost 14 games, several that were home games we should have, and needed to win. We found out that winning at KU is great, but gets nullified when you get beat by Baylor and TCU at home.

For every big win came a loss that canceled it out. I don't think we can give Boynton credit for the big wins, and not ask questions about the losses. It seems clear that when we came to play, we could play with anyone, so why did we not come to play so many times? That falls on the coach.

So here we sit on the wrong side of the NCAA bubble, looking forward to the good old NIT, which we would mock if we were in the dance. So I do not call this year a success. Which means I still have reservations about Boynton. I just don't think we know yet whether he is the answer or not. Ten year contracts for big money makes me a little gun shy about pronouncing greatness with limited results. Next year is a big year for Boynton and OSU. We have to reload some talent and will be far less experienced than this year. We shall see. And I will wait and see before believing he is the coach of our future.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/jFJW3hOGQgTUk" width="480" height="350" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
https://giphy.com/gifs/seinfeld-ok-sarcastic-jFJW3hOGQgTUk
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
"Boynton, now that the season is done"

But Mark Cooper just wrote a preview about tonight's NIT opening round game at GIA...

Twenty-two hours after they learned they were not going to the NCAA Tournament, though, Oklahoma State scampered around the auxiliary practice gym at Gallagher-Iba Arena like any other practice before a game.

“Really pleased with their excitement about practicing,” Boynton said. “That’s probably the biggest challenge, is to get excited about doing something that you really didn’t want to do, especially when the thing you want to do is about to happen also.”

Oklahoma State never pictured itself in the NIT, but now that it’s in the secondary tournament of the postseason, its focus has shifted to finding a way to Madison Square Garden.

Game info:
8 p.m. tonight
, Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater

TV: ESPN2

Radio: KFAQ am1170

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I have had reservations about Boynton since the hiring. Probably because of being burned by the previous two coaches. I like Boynton and hope he succeeds, just as I liked Ford and wanted him to succeed. But I am a results guy. It is not about potential or liking someone or other stuff. It is about getting OSU basketball back to being relevant. Sweet 16's, Elite 8's, FF's. Getting OSU back to the point where everyone asks how deep a run we can make instead of whether we should get in or not.
Nothing Underwood or Boynton have done the last two season exceeds what Ford would have done. Add to that Ford has in no way been implicated in any of the FBI stuff so far. And let me make it clear, I was screaming to get rid of Ford. I do not agree that Boynton did an excellent job this year. Or that he showed his potential. He did about what about a hundred other coaches could have done with what we had. Yes, we beat some really good teams, but we lost 14 games, several that were home games we should have, and needed to win. We found out that winning at KU is great, but gets nullified when you get beat by Baylor and TCU at home.

For every big win came a loss that canceled it out. I don't think we can give Boynton credit for the big wins, and not ask questions about the losses. It seems clear that when we came to play, we could play with anyone, so why did we not come to play so many times? That falls on the coach.

So here we sit on the wrong side of the NCAA bubble, looking forward to the good old NIT, which we would mock if we were in the dance. So I do not call this year a success. Which means I still have reservations about Boynton. I just don't think we know yet whether he is the answer or not. Ten year contracts for big money makes me a little gun shy about pronouncing greatness with limited results. Next year is a big year for Boynton and OSU. We have to reload some talent and will be far less experienced than this year. We shall see. And I will wait and see before believing he is the coach of our future.
We can't credit him for his wins? He didn't show potential as a coach? This year isn't a success?

ok dude

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
My opinion is this year was a huge success. Picked to finish 2nd to last or last by everyone and we tied for 6th with a sweep of Kansas in the regular season and wins against all of the other top teams. Did we lose some games we shouldn't have, sure. but its the guys first season as a coach so you'll have growing pains etc until he gets experience and can also get his own guys in there.

EDIT - Not to mention everyone talking about our program and how we deserved to be in the tourney etc. Publicity is a GREAT thing.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

https://youtu.be/JohGniYph-c

Sep 24, 2011
Some good posts with actual discussion of Boynton and the season. Thanks for your views.
For those who make personal attacks, it just reveals your character. Save it, I don't care.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Well the season isn't over yet...and HCMB is a breath of fresh air so far this year. I really like this coach and young man. Seems like a GREAT hire so far.

Mar 12, 2018
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I didn't get to watch every game but the games I did see looked like a team playing with more fire than years past. I liked what I saw from HCMB. He weathered the FBI investigation & firing Evans. Having to dismiss Dawson & Dillard and the subsequent lack of depth as a result of that. Being snubbed for an NCAA tournament spot.

Job isn't getting any easier either losing Carroll, Smith, Solomon & likely Shine. Just like everyone else has said, it is going to come down to recruiting. He really needs to get a guard in this class to go along with Anei & Demuth. Someone who can contribute right away along with Weathers & Curtis (when he is eligible).

Dub

Cowboy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
if you can't see that the players will give their max effort for him, then you also don't know much about young people

with that being said, there are still no guarantees that he will lead OSU to several Elite Eights or even a Final Four
Coach said after one of the games, "if we play hard, we win, no matter what the scoreboard says." What a great philosophy for ball and life.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Some good posts with actual discussion of Boynton and the season. Thanks for your views.
For those who make personal attacks, it just reveals your character. Save it, I don't care.
You have big ears and beady eyes!!!

Boynton did a great job with the hand he was dealt. I am cautiously optimistic. If he can recruit well, I feel good about the future.