Boynton, now that the season is done

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 24, 2011
I have had reservations about Boynton since the hiring. Probably because of being burned by the previous two coaches. I like Boynton and hope he succeeds, just as I liked Ford and wanted him to succeed. But I am a results guy. It is not about potential or liking someone or other stuff. It is about getting OSU basketball back to being relevant. Sweet 16's, Elite 8's, FF's. Getting OSU back to the point where everyone asks how deep a run we can make instead of whether we should get in or not.
Nothing Underwood or Boynton have done the last two season exceeds what Ford would have done. Add to that Ford has in no way been implicated in any of the FBI stuff so far. And let me make it clear, I was screaming to get rid of Ford. I do not agree that Boynton did an excellent job this year. Or that he showed his potential. He did about what about a hundred other coaches could have done with what we had. Yes, we beat some really good teams, but we lost 14 games, several that were home games we should have, and needed to win. We found out that winning at KU is great, but gets nullified when you get beat by Baylor and TCU at home.

For every big win came a loss that canceled it out. I don't think we can give Boynton credit for the big wins, and not ask questions about the losses. It seems clear that when we came to play, we could play with anyone, so why did we not come to play so many times? That falls on the coach.

So here we sit on the wrong side of the NCAA bubble, looking forward to the good old NIT, which we would mock if we were in the dance. So I do not call this year a success. Which means I still have reservations about Boynton. I just don't think we know yet whether he is the answer or not. Ten year contracts for big money makes me a little gun shy about pronouncing greatness with limited results. Next year is a big year for Boynton and OSU. We have to reload some talent and will be far less experienced than this year. We shall see. And I will wait and see before believing he is the coach of our future.

Sep 21, 2016
Stillwater
OSUcat, I understand/agree that results are the acid test but I have season tickets and attended all the home games. The difference this year from the past was the players played together as a "team"! Granted, there were a couple of games that we had a relapse of going back to out old ways (spreading out and being tentative with the ball outside of the arc and throwing up a shot to beat the possession buzzer) but Boynton coached that out of them. Don't think for a minute that Boynton can't coach, he can definitely coach! Now, I am anxious to see how he recruits and gets his players in and coach them up.

We will be in GIA tomorrow night supporting our coach and team. EVERYONE needs to turn out and fill it up for this coaching staff and team!!

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Ford would have met with pre-season expectations...bottom of the conference...ou, Tech and West Virginia would have swept us....he would have beat Kansas in Lawrence though, played the others tough and many in the fan base would have said "no one expected us to do good. He beat Kansas again and played the Sooners really, really tough! Just wait till he gets his players in the system."

Boynton coached the kids up!! They played good, sound ball!

I think our new coach did a great job. One season is not enough to judge by, but I think anyone can tell he is ten times the coach Travis Ford is.

I'm optimistic about the future of Cowboy hoops (unless Mulder and Scully find something to nail the program on).

Aug 21, 2009
Edmond
I have been critical of coach Boynton since the TCU game. I still believe that he is outclassed and way under experienced as a coach in the Big 12. These complaints could be made about any coach that is Boynton's age coaching in the Big 12. I do believe as OSUCat says above that there are a lot of coaches out there that could have done just as well with our team record wise... maybe not big win wise but 19-14 with this team... a lot of coaches could have done that. Very few of those coaches are Boyntons age and I think this will matter on the recruiting trail in a good way.

That said, I really like what he is doing and I like what he did with our team. I feel coach Boynton stands for the right things and coaches the right way and will make sure we have a team that we can be proud of regardless of record. These things are important to me and I'm proud of coach Boynton and our team. I am all in for coach Boynton next season and truly believe that if he can recruit and will grow as a coach like he did this season we have big things in store for the future of OSU BBall.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It's too small a sample to really make a determination on Boynton yet. Any coach should get 2 to 3 years to prove themselves. I wasn't sold on the hire either but the hire is done, and it's not going to change at this point so might as well give the man a chance and hope he succeeds. We were picked dead last and finished in a four way tie for 6th. It's true there were some puzzling losses but there were also some impressive wins. Bottom line is we just don't know at this point. We need to see how the team responds in the NIT and we need to see how Boynton does recruiting. If he can get some good recruits, I think he can coach.....have to wait and see.

As for the OP bringing up Ford, we had more than enough of a sample to make a determination on him. I liked Ford and think he can be a good coach somewhere, but he was obviously not a good fit at OSU for whatever reason....he needed to go and I do not want him back.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Boynton did a good job for all that he was up against to start the season and being a first year head coach. The way I see it, he earned a couple of more seasons of slack in the rope. This season proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Underroos damn sure wasn't worth $3MM.

Dub

Cowboy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
Don't think for a minute that Boynton can't coach, he can definitely coach! Now, I am anxious to see how he recruits and gets his players in and coach them up.
Damn straight!

I can't wait to see what happens on the recruiting front. What kid wouldn't want to lace up his sneakers for Coach? They watch Coach talk about the team, watch how Coach interacts with the players (respect both ways, from start to finish), and watch how the skills of every player improved over the season. He's got something to teach them about ball and about life.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Anyone who doesn’t realize the incredible job Coach Boynton did against nearly insurmountable odds stacked against him is frankly blind......if you believe Travis Ford would have coached any Cowboy team to a sweep of KU and all the big time road wins after having the guts to dismiss two key players breaking the rules then you also have no memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
Being a dedicated and loyal fan automatically means you are signing up for a roller coaster of emotion. And, I am completely fine with that because I love my school and these programs with all I have and I know there will be a lot of ups and downs. With that said, I am intentionally an optimistic fan. I find the good in these players, these coaches, these teams - and I latch on to it and I am incredibly proud of it. For those who choose to be a pessimistic fan, so that when we hit the lows you can sit back and fold your arms and say "see, I told you he was no good", that is every bit your right as well.

What turned me off about Ford was when I spoke to JamesOn Curry about him. And JamesOn would tell me time and time again that he and former players would go back to the University and they were not allowed inside the locker room, or to use the facilities to workout and shoot around - they felt very disconnected to the program that they helped build.

What I see in HCMB is the opposite of that. He has completely wrapped himself in our programs pride and tradition. We have a guy who went to Coach Sutton and not just embraced him, but said "TEACH ME". For crying out loud, go watch ONE interview with him - be it after a win or a loss. You see the same passion and fire in his eyes, regardless of the outcome. The way he inspires and motivates these kids - and I am not even speaking on X's and O's here - just watching him talk to them and how they focus and hang on every word he says... this guy is something special that I choose to latch on to and be proud of.

Sure, maybe in 3-4 years from now we keep putting up 18, 19 win seasons when we expect more. Maybe, SOMEHOW, his charisma, charm, and passion dont lead to huge recruiting wins. MAYBE in 3-4 years we discover that it just wasnt the right fit. And, when that time comes, feel free to fold your arms and say - "see, I told you he was no good".

But for today, for right now, I am incredibly proud of who we have running this program. I'm all in on Mike Boynton and Oklahoma State basketball.

Lets Work.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I have had reservations about Boynton since the hiring. Probably because of being burned by the previous two coaches. I like Boynton and hope he succeeds, just as I liked Ford and wanted him to succeed. But I am a results guy. It is not about potential or liking someone or other stuff. It is about getting OSU basketball back to being relevant. Sweet 16's, Elite 8's, FF's. Getting OSU back to the point where everyone asks how deep a run we can make instead of whether we should get in or not.
Nothing Underwood or Boynton have done the last two season exceeds what Ford would have done. Add to that Ford has in no way been implicated in any of the FBI stuff so far. And let me make it clear, I was screaming to get rid of Ford. I do not agree that Boynton did an excellent job this year. Or that he showed his potential. He did about what about a hundred other coaches could have done with what we had. Yes, we beat some really good teams, but we lost 14 games, several that were home games we should have, and needed to win. We found out that winning at KU is great, but gets nullified when you get beat by Baylor and TCU at home.

For every big win came a loss that canceled it out. I don't think we can give Boynton credit for the big wins, and not ask questions about the losses. It seems clear that when we came to play, we could play with anyone, so why did we not come to play so many times? That falls on the coach.

So here we sit on the wrong side of the NCAA bubble, looking forward to the good old NIT, which we would mock if we were in the dance. So I do not call this year a success. Which means I still have reservations about Boynton. I just don't think we know yet whether he is the answer or not. Ten year contracts for big money makes me a little gun shy about pronouncing greatness with limited results. Next year is a big year for Boynton and OSU. We have to reload some talent and will be far less experienced than this year. We shall see. And I will wait and see before believing he is the coach of our future.
Nothing Underwood or Boynton have done the last two season exceeds what Ford would have done. He did about what about a hundred other coaches could have done with what we had.

Oh, please, name one coach that could have beaten Kansas twice in one season. Certainly not Travis Ford and not a bunch of other coaches either. Additionally, Ford couldn't develop a big man. Look at Solomon's improvement in the last two years. He didn't develop at all under Ford. In fact, he regressed.

For every big win came a loss that canceled it out. That falls on the coach.
That's not how it works. There were no bad losses. Every loss came to a team that is in the NCAA Tournament. The home losses can be attributed to lack of fan support. You can blame Mike Holder and Travis Ford for that. Home wins against OU and KU can be attributed to the Rowdiest Arena in the Country. To a certain extent you can also blame Underwood for the losses because of the way he stabbed us in the back. A lot of fans felt betrayed. I'm glad he is gone. I just don't like the way he went about it.

As far as not getting into the Tournament, look at our RPI for a place to assign blame. That low score is because of the ratings of some of the teams that we played. I don't know when they were scheduled or who scheduled them. I doubt that it was all on Boynton.

If you couldn't see the improvement in the way the team played this year then you weren't looking. So, get your panties out of a wad and sit back and enjoy the recovery of the Cowboy Basketball Program as long as HCMB stays around.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Ford had his chance and blew it. I thought Holder made an atrocious and cheap hire in Boynton, then the FBI showed up, then Boynton kicked the depth off the team and Carrol wasn't cleared. What happened after all that was one of the best examples of a group of kids and coaches pulling themselves up by bootstraps that got gnawed off by the family dog.

Ford would have been crying and Underwood screaming at all of the stuff Boynton has been through. The man has a strong character and believes in the method. Will he be a great coach? Who knows, but he's a man of character.

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
frankly, if you can't see that Boynton is a star in the making (barring any illegal activities that we don't know about), then you know NOTHING about basketball coaching (and that's probably true for 99% of the fan base, and there's nothing wrong with that, because fans shouldn't be expected to KNOW what makes a great coach), with that being said, probably 90% of the fan base (those that truly watched games) COULD see that this gentleman IS a coaching star in the making; from his first speech, I loved his intelligence level, his ability to speak, and the fact that he is from Brooklyn tells me he is a tough, hard-nosed, hard-working individual; his basketball background is second to none from the standpoint of being mentored by the right people

if you can't see that the players will give their max effort for him, then you also don't know much about young people

with that being said, there are still no guarantees that he will lead OSU to several Elite Eights or even a Final Four, but chances are that he builds the program into being a strong NCAA tournament contender year after year, which will also help his recruiting

and with all that said, we still have no earthly clue IF/WHEN the "other FBI shoe" might drop, if ever..................stay tuned

but support this guy, he IS the real deal

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
According to the Simple Rating System (SRS)* from Sports Reference, this was the best OSU team to never make an NCAA Tournament. Note that lesser OSU teams twice made the NCAA Tournament under Travis Ford (2010 and 2015) as did 7 other previous OSU teams.

1520900050487.png

*SRS accounts for strength of schedule (we ranked 23rd) and, unlike RPI, also accounts for point differential. We ranked #45 nationally this year, ahead of at-large teams Alabama, UCLA, Syracuse, Rhode Island, Providence, and St. Bonaventure.

Oct 30, 2007
One of the things I loved most about Coach Sutton is that he always seemed to get the most out of his team and meet or exceed expectations. Sean underachieved mightily with the talent he had. Travis maximized his talent during his first season with a roster he inherited and ended up underachieving the rest of his career here. Underwood did okay, but that roster was capable of more last season.

I feel like this is the fist season since Coach Ford's first year that we've actually met expectations. Coach Boynton was coaching a roster he inherited and they were nowhere near as talented as what we've been in the past. He had to cut a couple players loose. He had to wait for Sima to become eligible. He had to deal with Shine being hurt on and off throughout the year. We lost a few games we probably should've won, but we also won a few games we probably should've lost. I think 8-10 was a great year with everything we had to deal with.

You never know how good a coach is until he's coaching a roster he recruited. The future of this program is going to be highly dependent on how well Coach Boynton and his staff recruit. They really need to hit the recruiting trail hard and improve the overall talent level. Hopefully he'll be as successful at recruiting as he was this past year at coaching. Next year may be a struggle, but I think the future's bright. GO POKES!

Jun 23, 2005
I’ve had season tickets since Leonard Hamilton was our coach. I’ve seen lots of coaches during that time. My prediction is that 30 years from now Mike Boynton will be a big name coach, either in college basketball or the NBA.