Bourbon

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I paid 75 but I buy a lot there. He brings in good wine and good liquor at big discounts for good customers to keep is there. I live a county away from dallas and it's a dry county so he throws you a bone every now and then cause his prices on everything else are high since he is next to a dry county. Paid full for the Bowman also which helped with the deal.

dds115

Free Roverto!!!
Aug 11, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
www.hirecoachgundyscoaches.com
I paid 75 but I buy a lot there. He brings in good wine and good liquor at big discounts for good customers to keep is there. I live a county away from dallas and it's a dry county so he throws you a bone every now and then cause his prices on everything else are high since he is next to a dry county. Paid full for the Bowman also which helped with the deal.
I don't feel as bad now. Glad you got your hands on some. I opened mine the night i got it and had about an ounce. I'm not sure if it is the placebo effect, but it is really really damn good bourbon.

Jul 22, 2004
Tulsa
So, I recently starting making Old Fashioned and enjoy them quite a bit. Does anyone else drink these? If so, I would love to hear how you make yours.

Also, I got a bottle of Basil Hayden's recently and it's delicious.

Jul 22, 2004
Tulsa
I've never made one, only ordered at a bar. How do you make yours?
I make a simple syrup, a little sugar and a splash of water mixed together in the bottom of the glass, then add a couple dashes of Angostura bitters, then 2 oz's of bourbon, then I add 1 jumbo ice cube and let it sit for 4-5 minutes. Delicious.

Some recipes add a garnish of orange peel but I haven't tried that yet.

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
New to KCMO
WillPhillips.org
Just no frikkin soda water in my Old Fashioneds, damnit!

They are my go-to adult beverage, but I can't stand it when some dumbass bartender tries to muck around with a classic. Keep it simple. Just add a bit of simple syrup and bitters, muddle my cherry and orange, pour on the bourbon, and add a splash of water to top it off.

Okay, rant over.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I make a simple syrup, a little sugar and a splash of water mixed together in the bottom of the glass, then add a couple dashes of Angostura bitters, then 2 oz's of bourbon, then I add 1 jumbo ice cube and let it sit for 4-5 minutes. Delicious.

I make simple syrup in boiling water-use a 1:1 ratio (usually a cup of each). With this drink I tend to go heavy on the bitters and prefer a cherry garnish but to each their own. Also if you want to have an interesting twist make it with Irish Whiskey.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX

This is exactly how I make mine. The garnish of orange peel works if you don't overdo it. No slices of orange or cherries in it like a lot of bars do.

Jul 22, 2004
Tulsa
This is exactly how I make mine. The garnish of orange peel works if you don't overdo it. No slices of orange or cherries in it like a lot of bars do.
I've tried an orange peel garnish since that post and I wasn't overly impressed. It was really fragrant and took away from the whiskey flavor. Maybe I just did too much, though.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
What is everyone's favorite bourbons in the following price ranges:
$0-25
$25-50
$50+

Mine are, in order, Makers Mark, Blantons, Pappy of any vintage.
$0

Like a friend of mine says about his favorite beer. Free and cold!

:)

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
What is everyone's favorite bourbons in the following price ranges:
$0-25
$25-50
$50+

Mine are, in order, Makers Mark, Blantons, Pappy of any vintage.
Woodford, Blanton's or Rowan's Creek, Pappy