Boren to retire?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
In other news, the City is proposing to construct a new arena along I-35 which the OU men and women's basketball will be played. This has been long rumored and was brought to the City Council last night. The announcement could have something to do with it.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
In other news, the City is proposing to construct a new arena along I-35 which the OU men and women's basketball will be played. This has been long rumored and was brought to the City Council last night. The announcement could have something to do with it.

For those who do not know Norman this would like moving GIA west of the Braum's on 51 coming into Stillwater. It might help the city of Norman with retail and growth but why move OU basketball that far away? Are they trying to kill what little student support they have?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
That's exactly it. The idea behind this was to intentionally alienate students and prevent as many of them as possible from attending basketball games. I cant think of any other reasons why they would want to move on from playing in a dilapidated and well used 40+ year old arena.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
well, free hot dogs aren't getting them to the arena.......... i guess moving the basketball arena to Moore is the next best option......... lots of front runners in the mid-del, moore area..........

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
That's exactly it. The idea behind this was to intentionally alienate students and prevent as many of them as possible from attending basketball games. I cant think of any other reasons why they would want to move on from playing in a dilapidated and well used 40+ year old arena.
An economic impact study projects the development could generate more that $15 million a year in new tax revenue for Norman and Cleveland County.

http://newsok.com/university-of-okl...rena-project-on-interstate-35/article/5564812

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
well, free hot dogs aren't getting them to the arena.......... i guess moving the basketball arena to Moore is the next best option......... lots of front runners in the mid-del, moore area..........
OU is going to be pretty decent this year, it ought to be a nice season for them

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma

I have built a few landscapes in this development. This mile section was very well done when it was designed. The city of Edmond could pull their heads out of their asses and learn a few things from Norman. The "hotel & Conference center" the C.O.E boasts about is a freaking joke. Just another hotel with a bunch of unwanted fast food joints around it.
The bottom photo reminds me of the Power and Light district next to the stadium in KC. Put a bunch or restaurants and bars in this area and that would be one really nice area.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I hope not. JC is an excellent AD and i wouldnt want to lose his services in that capacity. I dont know that Bob wants to take on a role with all that responsibility of being AD, I get the feeling he wanted less on his plate. That said I wouldnt be surprised if he did become AD but i really dont think JC becomes president at OU. They'll go after someone with a resume more suited for prez

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Well, it didn't take long for Landthieves to immediately revive its dream of leaving us behind to rot in the Big 12 while OU moves to the Big Ten or SEC (and take Kansas with them, of all things).

Boren was our ally in a lot of that mess because he saw beyond sports.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Well, it didn't take long for Landthieves to immediately revive its dream of leaving us behind to rot in the Big 12 while OU moves to the Big Ten or SEC (and take Kansas with them, of all things).

Boren was our ally in a lot of that mess because he saw beyond sports.
Don't worry. No matter where what happens, I'm sure you guys will be dragged around by OU's coat tails.