Bob Stoops just hired by XFL in Dallas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My daughter just told me she ran into Bob Stoops in the hallway (she works for the Rangers). The new XFL franchise in Dallas just hired him as their GM and Head Coach, they will play in a reconfigured Globe Life after Rangers vacate...looks like the coach of this XFL team will be better than the one a few 1,000 feet away. Lol.

Last edited:

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
This seems completely strange. I would have thought he could easily get an NFL head coaching job. Or just about any college job he wanted.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This seems completely strange. I would have thought he could easily get an NFL head coaching job. Or just about any college job he wanted.
Agreed. Looking further into it, though, I think guys like Stoops, Spurrier & the other known coaches probably see these gigs as monetary lucrative without the real pressure of the NFL or NCAA jobs. If you could inject them with a truth serum, I wonder how many even think their respective league will be around next year.

Here's a good article talking about the launch this weekend of the Alliance of Amercian Football.

https://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/all...l-everything-you-need-to-know-cbs-sports.html

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Agreed. Looking further into it, though, I think guys like Stoops, Spurrier & the other known coaches probably see these gigs as monetary lucrative without the real pressure of the NFL or NCAA jobs. If you could inject them with a truth serum, I wonder how many even think their respective league will be around next year.

Here's a good article talking about the launch this weekend of the Alliance of Amercian Football.

https://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/all...l-everything-you-need-to-know-cbs-sports.html
The link provided if very informative. Thanks!

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'm not sure why anyone thinks the XFL is going to work this time around. Spoiler alert: it won't.
Perhaps you're right, but there are different circumstances this time around, too.

One being the availability of so many more networks & online platforms to showcase the product. Football, even fairly crappy college games, is a huge draw ratings wise, period, & networks need content.

Secondly, the drumbeat for giving athletes more opportunity (see the new NCAA transfer rules) is louder than it's ever been. These 2 new leagues might just actually provide a platform for guys to play in & become minor league for the NFL, who knows?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
From the article:

I like some of the things they've tweaked here.

Eliminating KO's & Punts, along with TV timeouts will move the game along dramatically. No more TD, PAT, commercials, KO, commercials, then next possession stuff.

Don't know where they came up with the 28 yard line to replace the onsides kick, but it'll be interesting to see an actual offense be able to attempt to keep the ball, vs. a play that very seldom works (onsides kick).

Trimming 5 seconds off the play clock, again, speeds up the game.

I hate, hate, hate the possession at the 10 yard line OT format, & I've hated it since high school, but teams only get one possession under these rules, so we'll see.

Don't like coaches not being allowed to challenge in the last 2 minutes, but it sounds like they've have automatic review of every play.

Are The Rules The Same?
Not entirely. Certainly, the AAF will be playing the football you know and love, but they’ve got some of their own rules meant to juice scoring and cut down on inefficiencies. They include:
  • Goodbye, kickers. There will be no extra point kicks and all teams must go for two after a touchdown.
  • There will be no kickoffs either. Halves and post-score drives begin on a team’s 25-yard-line.
  • In keeping with the no kicking theme, there are no onside kicks but a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a play from their own 28-yard line and gaining at least 12 yards. That sounds very random, but, there you go.
  • The play clock will run for 35 seconds (the NFL’s runs for 40).
  • Overtime will be played under high school football rules, a.k.a. the Kansas Playoff. Each team begins at their opponent’s 10-yard line and has one possession to score. If the teams remain tied after both attempts, the game ends in a tie.
  • Coaches are allowed two challenges but cannot challenge a call in the last two minutes of either half or in overtime (challenges are automatic in those timeframes).
  • There are no TV timeouts (yay!) and there are 60 percent fewer “full-screen commercials.” To make up for that lost revenue, expect to see more product placement throughout the broadcast.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I'm not sure why anyone thinks the XFL is going to work this time around. Spoiler alert: it won't.
This time they know what they are and aren’t trying to compete with the NFL. Having the season in the spring will also help. It’s only competition is going to be baseball and the average consumer would rather watch this new league than a baseball game.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
so AAF is playing games already. are any of these televised? i didn't come across any in my guide listing while lamenting that there was nothing on tv. If I had known, I would have totally watched.

EDIT: so most of these are on CBS. not sure how I missed them. I will probably watch this upcoming weekend. You can never have enough football!