Bizarre story about Scott Pruitt comes to light

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
heh. I'd say @jcowboy 's post was surpassed in absurdity only by your logic stream to arrive at the conclusion of "party before country" (which was declared from a very high horse).

What Pruitt did was wrong, even if it was "ethically legal". It was wrong. I don't dispute that. And thank you both for the entertainment.
Thank you for serving as the board arbiter of absurd while otherwise adding no useful input of your own.

Maybe if you actually showed me examples of the same posters that I point out not continually defending/covering/minimizing the actions of their side by pointing out extraneous problems on the other side it would help me to climb down off my horse.

-or-

If you had given a rational explanation of how corporatism and influence peddling have not had a demonstrable effect on issues for our country such as increasing income inequality and worsening upward mobility, that might have knocked me off my high horse.

But, waltzing in and simply declaring it? Why, that didn't even make my horse flinch.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Strassel's response:

Kimberley Strassel
@KimStrassel
Apr 3

1/ Mr. Eisen, actually, no. Wrong on all counts.
Pruitt travel/security costs for 2017: $160k
Gina McCarthy travel/security costs for 2013-16: $630k
Lisa Jackson travel/security costs for 2009-12: $332k
Coming up next, the breakout for their trips...

2/ Pruitt in 2017:
--G7 Summit in Italy: $84k
--Morocco: 40k

McCarthy in 2016
--Ghana: 68k
--Peru: 45k
--Tokyo: 75k

McCarthy in 2015
--Paris: 41k
--Dubai: 90k
--Tokyo: 68k
--Italy: 56k (a trip that, like Pruitt, involved a private tour of Vatican)

3/ McCarthy in 2014
--Vancouver: 62k (btw, it's impressive to spend that much just getting to Canada)
--Vietnam: 68k

McCarthy in 2013
--China: 55k

Jackson in 2012

--Israel: 65k

Jackson in 2011
--Rio De Janeiro: 60k
--Montreal: 51k
--China: 156k (wow).

4/ Meanwhile, here is the direct quote from memo issued from EPA principal deputy general counsel Kevin Minoli on March 30:

"the Ethics Office [staffed by career officials] reviewed the lease agreement . . . Under the terms of the lease, if the space was utilized for one 30-day month, then the rental cost would be $1500, which is a reasonable market value." And more:

"Therefore, entering into the lease was consistent with federal ethics regulations regarding gifts, and use of the property in accordance with the lease agreement did not constitute a gift a defined in those regulations."
And you are welcome, for all these facts.

>And for the record, I acknowledge Pruitt has also tallied some domestic security costs. But if you were facing daily death threats, your security detail might also think it best that you fly first class. No?

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
What I have learned so far is that EPA employees are at all out war with Pruitt. Pruitt believes that the EPA should not make the law but is merely supposed to carry out the specific laws that Congress passes. This is direct opposition to many higher ups in the EPA who believe that it is up them to the make rules and regulations (i.e. laws) to "save the planet". Thus they gather and leak every scrap of information possible that may detract or even cast doubt that Pruitt is an honorable appointed official. This is very much like the former heads of the FBI who clearly had their own agenda and used the FBI to carry it out.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
What I have learned so far is that EPA employees are at all out war with Pruitt. Pruitt believes that the EPA should not make the law but is merely supposed to carry out the specific laws that Congress passes. This is direct opposition to many higher ups in the EPA who believe that it is up them to the make rules and regulations (i.e. laws) to "save the planet". Thus they gather and leak every scrap of information possible that may detract or even cast doubt that Pruitt is an honorable appointed official. This is very much like the former heads of the FBI who clearly had their own agenda and used the FBI to carry it out.
This war won't last long and I don't think it has anything to do with Laws or the creation of them.

In may 2017 the EPA started offering $25,000 buyouts to anyone near retirement age and 372 employees took it and another 700 EPA employees have quit since Trump was elected and they were not replaced.

The EPA told the Washington Examiner it had a goal to reduce the staff by 50% by 2020 and 47% of the staff is retirement eligible by 2022

The Senate and House approved $79 million in retirement buyouts for the EPA for the 2018 budget which is expected to be used to buy out 2,000 EPA employees and there is an additional $35 million set aside to payout early retirement in 2019 to cut an additional 1,000 employees

These EPA employees see this as an assault to force them out of Fed Gubment work and benefits and is why they are fighting back against Pruitt

http://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/374167-the-79-million-plan-to-gut-epa-staff

Nov 18, 2010
This is one of my favorite Pruitt revelations. When he was Oklahoma's AG...he was basically an administrative assistant to the oil/gas corporations. Here he is copy and pasting a letter for them...to the EPA lol. Our government is supposed to represent the people, but that simply isn't the case with Pruitt...or those like him. They represent Corporations. The people are irrelevant to them.

And that's why Oil/gas only pay 2% production tax in OK (compared to 5%-6% in a state like North Dakota)...and that's why Oklahoma ranks 49th, 50th in education. (ND ranks 17th...and has a fraction of OK's population)

Oklahoma is a resource rich state, but our resources were/are being given away by the Scott Pruitts, so powerful lobbies like oil/gass will help them advance their political careers.

lobbyist to letterhead.jpg

Nov 18, 2010
It's not about 'saving the world'...it's about not letting profoundly corrupt politicians burglarize our house for their own personal gain.

OK"s earthquakes, which coincided with the fracking boom, started in 2011...Pruitt became Oklahoma's AG in 2010...whereupon he started copy/pasting for oil and gas with the EPA.
So, every time you send your insurance company a check to protect against earthquakes wrecking your house, think of Scott Pruitt living in his subsidized condo. Every time a teacher moves to another state to make a living wage, think of Scott Pruitt moving to Washington DC, cashing in on the favors he did for oil and gas in Oklahoma.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
This war won't last long and I don't think it has anything to do with Laws or the creation of them.

In may 2017 the EPA started offering $25,000 buyouts to anyone near retirement age and 372 employees took it and another 700 EPA employees have quit since Trump was elected and they were not replaced.

The EPA told the Washington Examiner it had a goal to reduce the staff by 50% by 2020 and 47% of the staff is retirement eligible by 2022

The Senate and House approved $79 million in retirement buyouts for the EPA for the 2018 budget which is expected to be used to buy out 2,000 EPA employees and there is an additional $35 million set aside to payout early retirement in 2019 to cut an additional 1,000 employees

These EPA employees see this as an assault to force them out of Fed Gubment work and benefits and is why they are fighting back against Pruitt

http://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/374167-the-79-million-plan-to-gut-epa-staff
There may or may not be completely true but it is an editorial piece...written by "John O’Grady is president of the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) National Council of EPA Locals #238 representing over 8,000 bargaining unit employees at the U.S. EPA nationwide"

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
It's not about 'saving the world'...it's about not letting profoundly corrupt politicians burglarize our house for their own personal gain.

OK"s earthquakes, which coincided with the fracking boom, started in 2011...Pruitt became Oklahoma's AG in 2010...whereupon he started copy/pasting for oil and gas with the EPA.
So, every time you send your insurance company a check to protect against earthquakes wrecking your house, think of Scott Pruitt living in his subsidized condo. Every time a teacher moves to another state to make a living wage, think of Scott Pruitt moving to Washington DC, cashing in on the favors he did for oil and gas in Oklahoma.
I know person who started out as deeply committed to environmentalism and another who was an advisor to the EPA. Both finally quit because of it's tangled bureaucratic system of often making senseless unscientific
judgements that did absolutely nothing to improve the environment.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I know person who started out as deeply committed to environmentalism and another who was an advisor to the EPA. Both finally quit because of it's tangled bureaucratic system of often making senseless unscientific
judgements that did absolutely nothing to improve the environment.
But think of the virtue signaling opportunities--"I work for the EPA! I'm going to save the world."

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

LOL, Most Oklahomans as well as President Trump don't give a damn about that crap. Since earthquakes only happen in little remote towns, most Oklahomans say, "What earthquakes?".

Who has earthquake insurance? Insurance companies in Oklahoma have been dropping coverage for earthquakes. Anyway, it's all indicative that Oklahoma is one of the most poorly run states in the country. If you don't want to move out of Oklahoma, you have no other choice other than to accept it and live with it.

And who cares that the current State Attorney General said last year that he thought that the Oklahoma Legislature is well led by smart people.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
A deep drive into Pruitt's political history from his state Senate days including a less than ringing endorsement from disgraced former Gov. David Walters. A little long but well worth it.

https://twitter.com/jasonkersey/status/987738231037931520?s=19

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
If he gets fired and loses his power, I wonder if we will every find out what happened at Tar Creek.
My guess that Pruitt will want to regain power by running and winning a seat on the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. That job would suit him beautifully. Take campaign money from corporations you regulate and make decisions in their favor after you win. I think plenty of Oklahoma voters would vote for Pruitt every time the alternative would be a Democrat.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
My guess that Pruitt will want to regain power by running and winning a seat on the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. That job would suit him beautifully. Take campaign money from corporations you regulate and make decisions in their favor after you win. I think plenty of Oklahoma voters would vote for Pruitt every time the alternative would be a Democrat.
Honestly, the average voter is so uninformed that they would probably vote for him.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Report: EPA's Scott Pruitt went on $100K Morocco trip partially arranged by lobbyist
Christal Hayes and Ledyard King, USA TODAYPublished 7:46 p.m. ET May 1, 2018 | Updated 8:30 p.m. ET May 1, 2018

Embattled EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt is facing new criticism after it was revealed his controversial trip to Morocco was partially arranged by a lobbyist and cost $100,000 — more than double what was previously reported.
The report in The Washington Post details more about the December trip, including that Richard Smotkin, a former Comcast lobbyist who is a longtime friend of Pruitt, accompanied him on the trip and served as a liaison.
Originally, the trip was reported as costing about $40,000, but information obtained by The Post shows it topped $100,000.
The newspaper notes Smotkin's role in the trip is unusual and could pose more problems for Pruitt since federal laws prohibit public officials from using government resources to financially benefit friends or relatives.
Months after the visit, Smotkin registered as a foreign agent representing the Moroccan government after taking a contract with the country. The contract, which he won last month, pays him $40,000 a month to promote the Moroccan cultural and economic interests, the Post reports.

The EPA, in a statement, acknowledged Smotkin's role but insisted the agency led the effort.
"Mr. Smotkin assisted in arranging the October 25 meeting, but EPA’s Office of International and Tribal Affairs organized and led the effort around Administrator Pruitt’s official meetings with the Moroccan government," agency spokesman Jahan Wilcox said.
Pruitt did not comment on the specifics of the report only saying the meeting "allowed us to directly convey our priorities and best practices with Moroccan leaders, as well as identify opportunities for continued cooperation."
USA TODAY did not independently confirm other details of The Post's report.
The report on the lobbyist-arranged trip to Morocco is the latest in a string of alleged ethical and spending missteps being investigated, including the awarding of pay raises to top aides, luxury travel accommodations, his below-market rental agreement with the wife of an energy lobbyist, and the installation of a secure phone booth, the latter which was found to be in violation of congressional spending laws.

On Tuesday, two of Pruitt’s most controversial aides left the EPA: Nino Perrotta, Pruitt’s security chief, and Albert 'Kell’ Kelly, a top adviser to the administrator on the Superfund program.
Perrotta, a former Secret Service agent, has been at the center of Pruitt’s controversial security arrangements which include round-the-clock security and flying in first- or business-class as a way to protect the administrator from passengers who could pose threats.
Despite his departure, Perrotta is expected to appear Wednesday for a transcribed interview by staffers of the House Oversight Committee investigating Pruitt’s high-cost security procedures, according to The Washington Post.
Kelly joined the EPA last year to lead a task force examining ways to revamp the Superfund program — a priority for Pruitt. Around the same time, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation fined Kelly $125,000 and banned him from banking for aan alleged banking violation while he was head of Tulsa-based SpiritBank, according to a consent order.
"Kelly’s service at EPA will be sorely missed," Pruitt said. "In just over a year he has made a tremendous impact on EPA’s Superfund program, (serving) in a way that puts the needs of the American people and communities first, while respecting the work committed to by responsible parties."
EPA officials also found themselves responding to criticism Tuesday from Democratic lawmakers who accused Pruitt of establishing an EPA office in his hometown of Tulsa, OK, in an arrangement the agency said was similar to previous administrators who occasionally worked in satellite offices near their homes.
The office was to feature a conference room, secure parking space, and secure phone line similar to the one that cost taxpayers $43,000 to install, according to a joint release from Democrats Don Beyer, D-Va., Eddie Bernice Johnson, D-Tex., and Suzanne Bonamici, D-Or.
“Establishing a new EPA office in Tulsa may be personally convenient for you, but it seems ethically questionable, professionally unnecessary, and financially unjustified," they wrote in a letter to Pruitt.
EPA Spokesman Jahan Wilcox said there’s already an office in Tulsa for two agency employees when they need to work remotely but it proved too small for Pruitt’s needs.
“This location is not practical or usable for Administrator Pruitt’s business and he has never used this office,” he said in a statement to USA TODAY.
The revelations Tuesday are just the latest that has put Pruitt in hot water as questions mount about potential ethical and financial mismanagement.
Last week, the EPA Administrator faced questions on a litany of questions from lawmakers on Capitol Hill about his ethical and spending missteps, including the awarding of pay raises to top aides, luxury travel accommodations, his below-market rental agreement with the wife of an energy lobbyist, and the installation of a secure phone booth.
Pruitt insisted he had "nothing to hide" and the allegations were based on "half-truths" from those who "want to derail" the President's deregulatory agenda.
The EPA has said the trip to Morocco was legitimate and a chance for Pruitt to talk about the countries free-trade agreement and benefits of natural gas imports. The agency told The Post, it did not know of Smotkin's ties to the country's government.
Left-leaning environmental groups have been calling for Pruitt's ouster and said the totality of revelations about Pruitt's mismanagement show his time should be up.