Billy Donovan and Thunder part ways

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
That would be rather interesting. Who would get Kansas then?
I always thought Danny Manning might end up back there, but he's struggled at Wake forest. They would probably go after an established coach like Gregg Marshall or Chris Beard.

I bet that Bill Self stays at KU, but it would be cool to see him coach the Thunder though.

Oct 30, 2007
What's the status of the the NCAA violations against Kansas. Would that be a deciding factor if Self leaves or not?
Everything is still pending. There are several schools waiting for the NCAA to rule on their cases. I think that the pandemic has slowed down the investigations.

Self will probably end up staying at KU, but this would be the optimal time to leave if he ever planned to try coaching in the NBA.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Billy Donovan did a helluva job this year. It also helped that he had an actual point guard in Chris Paul this year. It's a shame they are both leaving.

Russell Westbrook is one of the most talented players in the NBA, but was horrible at running an offense.

If I'm the Thunder, I take long looks at Dwayne Casey, Derek Fisher and Eric Musselman.

Nov 18, 2010
College ball provides "blue chip" schools like Kansas a massive advantage over their competition. Bill Self in the NBA could end up like Nick Saban's abbreviate career at the Miami Dolphins. The playing field was leveled and suddenly, without a MASSIVE talent advantage, Saban didn't look like a coaching genius. (He literally quit his NFL coaching job midseason, I believe)

Self might be good on the next level, but I certainly understand why a college coach who gets the cream of the talent crop every year, might balk at developing an NBA team with a salary cap.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I am assuming there is going to be a placeholder coach for the upcoming season. I actually thought this season would be a tank year for the Thunder. Paul and Donovan really impressed me this year.

It's amazing how much more fun a game to watch with an actual point guard.

PrincetonPoke23

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I am assuming there is going to be a placeholder coach for the upcoming season. I actually thought this season would be a tank year for the Thunder. Paul and Donovan really impressed me this year.

It's amazing how much more fun a game to watch with an actual point guard.
Completely agree on the point guard comment. This year's team was so insanely fun to watch. I think part of the fun (outside of running actual offensive sets led by all-star CP3) was that nobody expected them to gel the way they did.

I doubt that Presti would bring in or promote someone to be a placeholder coach. I think OKC presents a unique opportunity for someone to come in and really develop/mold the young core: Shai, Dort, and Bazley. Combine those three with OKC's draft picks and Presti's creativity - winning situation. We're not talking about a franchise like the perennially awful New York Knicks. Hoping for the best!

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Doc Rivers is available :)

I don't know how liable he is for the Clippers not being able to get over the hump with two separate rosters.
He did win in Boston and was decent in Orlando.

He seems like the kind of guy who loves developing smart players and smart point guards.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Doc Rivers is available :)

I don't know how liable he is for the Clippers not being able to get over the hump with two separate rosters.
He did win in Boston and was decent in Orlando.

He seems like the kind of guy who loves developing smart players and smart point guards.
I could have won a championship with the roster he had in Boston so that is not saying much.