Biletnikoff Finalists announced

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If I remember correctly (it's been a long time), I think Woods faced much tougher competition in 2002 than any other receiver in the running for the award that year. I know UCLA had what was supposed to be a 1st round pick at corner and maybe Texas did as well, I can't remember the specifics but I remember arguing at the time that Woods put his yards together against some of the best cover corners in college that year. That is the main reason I still consider him the best I've seen in college, I don't think any of our other great receivers faced the competition that Woods did. He got screwed for sure.

Also Dez may have been in the running if the NCAA hadn't screwed him.

Mar 31, 2011
Isabella leads the nation in receiving yards and is second in TDs...but he's also played 12 games already...plus 3 Overtime periods. If Tylan gets 2 scores (definitely possible) this weekend he'll be tied with Isabella. He isn't likely to gain the 354 yards between him and Isabella, but he can certainly chip off 150-200 yards with a good performance and probably end up as second in the nation in yards. If bowl games are taken into account (?), obviously Tylan stands to surpass Isabella all around.

I think Tylan might be in the sweet spot of "great stats" (that Jeudy lacks) and "team success" and "level of competition" (that Isabella lacks, although obviously OSU is no Alabama this season either).

Aug 7, 2006
Dez should've won it in 2008, but Crabtree had the hype from winning it the year before and "the catch" against Texas that he dreamed in his head that year.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Rashaun should have won in 2002, but Charles Rogers was the media hype guy. That Rashaun wasn't even a finalist that year was a joke; that was one of the weakest finalist groups in the award's history. He had an argument to be a finalist in 2003 as well (though not so much to win).

Dez had an argument in 2008, and I think he was the clear favorite in 2009 before the NCAA mess. Golden Tate? Come on.

This will be an interesting race. Isabella has the numbers, but they're a little deceptive; the second-leading receiver for UMass has 28 catches and 419 yards. Isabella has more than a third of his team's total receptions for the season and almost half of the total yards. He's also a slot receiver for UMass.

Jeudy is more of a first among equals rather than a true WR1. His hype comes from being the "big play" guy for Alabama, and from playing for Alabama. His stats are the weakest of the three finalists by far, and he's only had three games this season where he led the Tide in both receptions and receiving yards (and only four 100-yard games all year). However, he'll have the most media attention. If he has big games or key moments in the Iron Bowl and SEC Championship, he may get a big boost despite not matching the production of the other finalists. To be fair, though, Jeudy does not play in a pass-heavy offense, so his stats are going to be lower.

Wallace is a clear WR1 as well as being a "big play" guy, but he'll be hurt somewhat by the team's overall performance (though not as much as Isabella will be by his team).

Wallace has the best all-around resume, but Jeudy is the overall leading receiver on the best team in the country and has enough yards that voters would be comfortable overlooking other stats to vote for him (and will probably get some "eye test" votes as well). Isabella has the stats, but he's basically the only receiving option on a terrible team.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
Rashaun should have won in 2002, but Charles Rogers was the media hype guy. That Rashaun wasn't even a finalist that year was a joke; that was one of the weakest finalist groups in the award's history. He had an argument to be a finalist in 2003 as well (though not so much to win).

Dez had an argument in 2008, and I think he was the clear favorite in 2009 before the NCAA mess. Golden Tate? Come on.

This will be an interesting race. Isabella has the numbers, but they're a little deceptive; the second-leading receiver for UMass has 28 catches and 419 yards. Isabella has more than a third of his team's total receptions for the season and almost half of the total yards. He's also a slot receiver for UMass.

Jeudy is more of a first among equals rather than a true WR1. His hype comes from being the "big play" guy for Alabama, and from playing for Alabama. His stats are the weakest of the three finalists by far, and he's only had three games this season where he led the Tide in both receptions and receiving yards (and only four 100-yard games all year). However, he'll have the most media attention. If he has big games or key moments in the Iron Bowl and SEC Championship, he may get a big boost despite not matching the production of the other finalists. To be fair, though, Jeudy does not play in a pass-heavy offense, so his stats are going to be lower.

Wallace is a clear WR1 as well as being a "big play" guy, but he'll be hurt somewhat by the team's overall performance (though not as much as Isabella will be by his team).

Wallace has the best all-around resume, but Jeudy is the overall leading receiver on the best team in the country and has enough yards that voters would be comfortable overlooking other stats to vote for him (and will probably get some "eye test" votes as well). Isabella has the stats, but he's basically the only receiving option on a terrible team.
A lot of these types of awards do not go to the players on the best teams in the country. I think voters go with the "he'll get enough attention/awards" mentality and give it to players outside the playoff picture unless they simply dominate their position.

Plus if you look at it, Calvin Ridley was pretty much the same guy from a stats perspective throughout his career and never won much in the way of awards.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
I think Tylan's biggest boost is his performance against WVU, OU, and Texas. He's consistent, good stats and brought his best performances in big games. Awards committees eat that stuff up. And he played great pretty much all year.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Isabella has the stats, but he's basically the only receiving option on a terrible team.
Which could help him in the eyes of the voters. If he doesn't have the supporting cast that the others have and opposing defenses focus solely on stopping him, then his stats are even more impressive

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID

It was Larry Fitzgerald that won it over Rashaun and he was and still is the better of the two.