Big12 Baseball and O’Brate opening

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 29, 2009
MLB is really screwing the seniors and now it looks like the committee might do the same. You have to feel for these guys to see their dream being ripped up. I hope some sanity comes before they commit this injustice. !
This whole situation really stinks, for everyone. Here is another angle. Look at these HS seniors, Kansas never played a game, Oklahoma what maybe 5-10 games? These seniors will never get that year back, if the NCAA grants an extra year of eligibility to all spring sports many of these HS seniors will get hosed 2 years in a row. I know we had a team that looked very good and was improving. But, to give the seniors or possibly all underclassmen an extra year is not fair to all the kids graduating HS in the next 4 years. This decision has to be made for all the kids/classes not just one. It sucks but the best option for all of these kids is to just let it go and start the new academic year as normal.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
This whole situation really stinks, for everyone. Here is another angle. Look at these HS seniors, Kansas never played a game, Oklahoma what maybe 5-10 games? These seniors will never get that year back, if the NCAA grants an extra year of eligibility to all spring sports many of these HS seniors will get hosed 2 years in a row. I know we had a team that looked very good and was improving. But, to give the seniors or possibly all underclassmen an extra year is not fair to all the kids graduating HS in the next 4 years. This decision has to be made for all the kids/classes not just one. It sucks but the best option for all of these kids is to just let it go and start the new academic year as normal.
Sorry to disagree with you but high school seniors have options. The lost season is equal but the options for college seniors are limited. High school seniors can go juco, for top prospects, and be draft eligible next year. Others can go on to 4 year schools, get an education while they play the game they love and have a one year inconvenience for playing time when many wouldn't have seen the field as freshman. They'll be draft eligible after their 3rd year and their dream will continue. The abbreviated draft will kill the dream of many college seniors. Coaches trap door players all the time and if a freshman is that good, guess who will be released. I think this extra year of eligibility will be more detrimental to the college underclassmen for that reason. Sorry I don't think there's a comparison.

Dec 29, 2009
Sorry to disagree with you but high school seniors have options. The lost season is equal but the options for college seniors are limited. High school seniors can go juco, for top prospects, and be draft eligible next year. Others can go on to 4 year schools, get an education while they play the game they love and have a one year inconvenience for playing time when many wouldn't have seen the field as freshman. They'll be draft eligible after their 3rd year and their dream will continue. The abbreviated draft will kill the dream of many college seniors. Coaches trap door players all the time and if a freshman is that good, guess who will be released. I think this extra year of eligibility will be more detrimental to the college underclassmen for that reason. Sorry I don't think there's a comparison.
We can agree to disagree then. All these HS kids will be underclassmen soon and fit into the category you mentioned. This is an NCAA thing and they are doing a very good thing for their current players, at the same time they are taking playing time away from those who will be their players the next 4 years. Now if they all decide to leave then the point is moot. By giving all players an extra year there will potentially be 5 classes of players the next 4 years until the current freshmen roll out.Unless i am understanding the exception wrong and it is only for seniors but, i believe it is fro all current players. This health situation is bad for everyone and we all have sacrifices. We have played 18 games and the players who came back to try for a better position had last summer, fall and these 18 games to provide tape to show their improvement. I think the ones who will be playing next level now have shown that they can. But as you say the MLB really has screwed things up by shortening the draft. These HS seniors do have options going forward but the don't have the option to play their HS senior season, for many would be their last no different than college seniors.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Everything will work itself out. The key seniors we had this year will Likely sign FA contracts or decide to get on with life. We may even have 1 JR get drafted in Polcovich. We‘ll have some turnover with young guys who didn’t see the field this spring leave for better opportunity.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Everything will work itself out. The key seniors we had this year will Likely sign FA contracts or decide to get on with life. We may even have 1 JR get drafted in Polcovich. We‘ll have some turnover with young guys who didn’t see the field this spring leave for better opportunity.
I think it’s highly unlikely that any Senior would choose to sign a free agent contract for 20k, if their goal is to continue playing baseball as a job. They would have a strong financial incentive to stay and play here for a year and try for a better minor league situation in 2021. Especially the ones that could move into a slot value draft spot. The ones that would get drafted in later rounds or be in line to sign free agency then would have had one more chance at post season glory and continue a college life, before resigning to the minor league bus trips for the same 20k. In addition, some may still need a few credits for a degree or be able to get a start on an advanced degree in that year. Not to mention MLB is looking to severely curtail minor leagues now so there may not even be the same opportunity to sign free agent deals.

I mean it’s certainly possible that a senior will choose to leave, but I think the calculus isn’t there to say it’s expected that they would all leave, it doesn’t make sense on any level.

Now there certainly be a few that already have lined up a post-baseball career and employment. Those are the seniors that are likely to stay on that road, but they might even be calling those employers that are struggling with their own issues and asking if the employer would defer their hiring for a year. Not a lot of companies are planning to expand right.

This team knew it was good and was hungry for an Omaha trip. Now we add more weapons in some JUCOs and a few high schoolers. Don’t think for a second that the Srs sitting home right now feeling robbed don’t want to come back and win. A quick look at their social media will confirm that.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
The kids that come to OSU have goals to become professionals. The seniors that have been here 4 or 5 years are smart enough to know that it’s time. The likely hood of our guys changing their professional path at this time are very slim. Yes if you only care about being a part of the team and making a run to Omaha then maybe you come back. I would be completely shocked if our seniors aren’t on track to graduate this spring if they haven’t already. Let’s be clear the guys I’m speaking of are Cabbiness, Garcia, Leeper, McCusker, and 4rth yr Junior Scott, and Scott was really only guy out of those that had a chance to be drafted reasonably high. I feel terrible for Scott because of the shortened draft. He’s going to lose money. The other seniors not mentioned above aren’t likely to play after college, so if they choose to continue to play that’s great. We have a couple of pitchers who are seniors who didn’t pitch this past spring and most likely will move on.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status/1245080994719453185?s=20
February 2021 feels like an eternity away. Sure would help the time pass a bit if there is any type of an MLB season.

Overall, it does feel like this program is about to take off to heights we haven’t seen since the 90’s. I was very impressed with how often we were finding the barrel. And we have more raw talent on the mound than we’ve had in quite some time.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
February 2021 feels like an eternity away. Sure would help the time pass a bit if there is any type of an MLB season.

Overall, it does feel like this program is about to take off to heights we haven’t seen since the 90’s. I was very impressed with how often we were finding the barrel. And we have more raw talent on the mound than we’ve had in quite some time.
So it sounds like we may only lose Polcvich and Scott.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
I think it’s highly unlikely that any Senior would choose to sign a free agent contract for 20k, if their goal is to continue playing baseball as a job. They would have a strong financial incentive to stay and play here for a year and try for a better minor league situation in 2021. Especially the ones that could move into a slot value draft spot. The ones that would get drafted in later rounds or be in line to sign free agency then would have had one more chance at post season glory and continue a college life, before resigning to the minor league bus trips for the same 20k. In addition, some may still need a few credits for a degree or be able to get a start on an advanced degree in that year. Not to mention MLB is looking to severely curtail minor leagues now so there may not even be the same opportunity to sign free agent deals.

I mean it’s certainly possible that a senior will choose to leave, but I think the calculus isn’t there to say it’s expected that they would all leave, it doesn’t make sense on any level.

Now there certainly be a few that already have lined up a post-baseball career and employment. Those are the seniors that are likely to stay on that road, but they might even be calling those employers that are struggling with their own issues and asking if the employer would defer their hiring for a year. Not a lot of companies are planning to expand right.

This team knew it was good and was hungry for an Omaha trip. Now we add more weapons in some JUCOs and a few high schoolers. Don’t think for a second that the Srs sitting home right now feeling robbed don’t want to come back and win. A quick look at their social media will confirm that.
totally agree with all of this! and yes if you look at their social media, it pretty much says a lot are going to be back

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
But with the news coming out that the NCAA was going to offer players another year of eligibility – a do-over of sorts – that really resonated with Holliday and his staff. The Pokes starting lineup featured four senior starters in Max Hewitt, Cade Cabbiness, Alix Garcia and Carson McCusker, and a pair of standout relievers in C.J. Varela and Ben Leeper. All will be given an extra year and all appear to be on track to return.
This is the quote from the D1 baseball story above.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
There’s a chance both sign. Parker is 23 and if he comes back he’ll be 24 for the 2021 draft. He’s getting long in the tooth for a MLB prospect. He almost signed out of the Cape, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him move on.

Polcovich is thought of highly by scouts, but how many rounds the draft holds will be key. Could he get draft in 5-10 round draft? I expect most of the seniors to come back, but things could change from now until July.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
There’s a chance both sign. Parker is 23 and if he comes back he’ll be 24 for the 2021 draft. He’s getting long in the tooth for a MLB prospect. He almost signed out of the Cape, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him move on.

Polcovich is thought of highly by scouts, but how many rounds the draft holds will be key. Could he get draft in 5-10 round draft? I expect most of the seniors to come back, but things could change from now until July.
Yes, Parker was basically gone after last season, then changed his mind after everyone thought he was gone. Wouldn't expect him back. Hopefully we can get Polcovich back, along with the seniors.

Dec 21, 2008
Most of these decisions are not even close to being made yet. We don’t know about the likelihood or postponement of the Draft. We don’t know if Srs will want another year of schooling. We don’t know what agents are selling the guys. We don’t know how much $ guys like Parker and Leeper could lose if there’s a shortened draft. A lot of question marks. I’m sure guys like Cabbi and Carson and Alix will want to come back. All three were starting to heat up and as much loyalty and fun they’ve had in the program I would bet they want to keep climbing the prospect ranks. Especially having another year with Robin and Matt to help tweak things and build more confidence. Being 23-24 is a lot different than 18-19.

As for HS Srs can’t they go to a team like OSU then redshirt and let the Srs move on through? Seems like someone is close to a prospect and wants them to be able to start as a freshman...

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
so who do you think is not coming back because the D1 story says that most of those seniors are coming back.
I'll stick with PerryPoke on this one.

He's pretty tied into OSU athletics, given his media connections, & always has good info.

I'll be staying tuned on this one. Lord knows I've got the time right now!:)

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Most of these decisions are not even close to being made yet. We don’t know about the likelihood or postponement of the Draft. We don’t know if Srs will want another year of schooling. We don’t know what agents are selling the guys. We don’t know how much $ guys like Parker and Leeper could lose if there’s a shortened draft. A lot of question marks. I’m sure guys like Cabbi and Carson and Alix will want to come back. All three were starting to heat up and as much loyalty and fun they’ve had in the program I would bet they want to keep climbing the prospect ranks. Especially having another year with Robin and Matt to help tweak things and build more confidence. Being 23-24 is a lot different than 18-19.

As for HS Srs can’t they go to a team like OSU then redshirt and let the Srs move on through? Seems like someone is close to a prospect and wants them to be able to start as a freshman...
MLB has already said there's going to be a draft. Question is how many rounds do they have.