Big12 Baseball and O’Brate opening

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
I guess we can start the 2020 off season now.

Is there any chance Parker Scott turns down the money again?
Do seniors like Ben Leeper that have improved their draft stock use the additional year of eligibility as leverage to get a good contract and go pro now (instead of getting paid nothing when they have no leverage)?
Will the NCAA expand roster sizes?
Will freshmen that were not playing this year that expected to start next year for instance in the outfield, stick around another year to ride the pin if Cade and Carson want to stay???
What about recruits that expected starting spots to be available?
Does not getting these freshmen pitchers more innings set us back on our time to make them CWS champions?
Does the NCAA expand scholarship limits or could veterans lose some of theirs to pay for new recruits arriving?

There are so many unknowns in this deal and no one has ever done before so there’s no roadmap to it.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I guess we can start the 2020 off season now.

Is there any chance Parker Scott turns down the money again?
Do seniors like Ben Leeper that have improved their draft stock use the additional year of eligibility as leverage to get a good contract and go pro now (instead of getting paid nothing when they have no leverage)?
Will the NCAA expand roster sizes?
Will freshmen that were not playing this year that expected to start next year for instance in the outfield, stick around another year to ride the pin if Cade and Carson want to stay???
What about recruits that expected starting spots to be available?
Does not getting these freshmen pitchers more innings set us back on our time to make them CWS champions?
Does the NCAA expand scholarship limits or could veterans lose some of theirs to pay for new recruits arriving?

There are so many unknowns in this deal and no one has ever done before so there’s no roadmap to it.
Lots of great topics there. I’m curious to dive in more later, but I’m really interested in the development of the freshmen from this year. It’s too bad we won’t be able to get more innings for those kids, because they were really coming along nicely. On the bright side, we have an incredible facility for them to practice in while we wait for next year.
Any idea if the summer leagues will still be playing?

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Kendall Rogers is saying that 2 of the power 5 conferences are not in favor of ANY kind of eligibility relief for any spring sport athlete.

Absolute garbage.
I’m really interested to see how it will shake out. If a lot of kids come back that will really impact opportunities for incoming freshman. Also the details will be challenging

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Kendall Rogers is saying that 2 of the power 5 conferences are not in favor of ANY kind of eligibility relief for any spring sport athlete.

Absolute garbage.
I don't even think it will matter all that much for baseball. Seniors Garcia, Leeper, McCusker, Cabbiness, etc and probably Parker Scott, are all going to go pro regardless of whether they get an extra year or not. Sucks more that we don't get to see what this team could have done this season. We were really starting to hit our stride, pitching and hitting looked outstanding over the 5 game winning streak. We had the talent and depth to make a serious CWS run this year.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I don't even think it will matter all that much for baseball. Seniors Garcia, Leeper, McCusker, Cabbiness, etc and probably Parker Scott, are all going to go pro regardless of whether they get an extra year or not. Sucks more that we don't get to see what this team could have done this season. We were really starting to hit our stride, pitching and hitting looked outstanding over the 5 game winning streak. We had the talent and depth to make a serious CWS run this year.
Will be interesting to see. I personally don’t think Mccusker, Garcia or Cabbiness will go very high in the draft. If they just love playing college baseball and want to get a degree I could see them staying.

I do think Scott and Leeper will go. They really can’t do much more to improve their stock. There were several scouts at the Frisco Classic watching Leeper and he was fantastic! I’m sure they saw all they needed to see. Plus he has a lot of injury history so if I were him I’d give it a go. I loved watching him and he’s got a great story.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Will be interesting to see. I personally don’t think Mccusker, Garcia or Cabbiness will go very high in the draft. If they just love playing college baseball and want to get a degree I could see them staying.

I do think Scott and Leeper will go. They really can’t do much more to improve their stock. There were several scouts at the Frisco Classic watching Leeper and he was fantastic! I’m sure they saw all they needed to see. Plus he has a lot of injury history so if I were him I’d give it a go. I loved watching him and he’s got a great story.
MLB is really screwing the seniors and now it looks like the committee might do the same. You have to feel for these guys to see their dream being ripped up. I hope some sanity comes before they commit this injustice. As far as our's go, they were off to a great start this season and appeared to be on the path to make it a magical one. My take on Leeper's "injury history". From what I've been able to gather, he had his original injury his junior year of high school and every other surgery he had after that, except the sports hernia, was a by product of internal scarring. Sounds like after his senior year of high school, they had to move his nerve because scar tissue was impeding it. His freshman year here, on his second start, he felt discomfort that turned out to be scar tissue that had attached to the ligament and cause calcification. They had to go back in and remove that. That's what everyone considers his second Tommy John. From what I was told, the ligament was fine and they probably could have done nothing else but the doctor decided to bolster the ligament with a second graft. He was cleared to play his sophomore year but the staff made the decision to give it more time. It make you wonder how much better he could have been last year and this if he had that year under his belt to get acclimated to pitching again. He's actually been healthy for 3-1/2 years. The shoulder in the fall was elective to remove grunge not uncommon to throwing athletes. Who knows, but the coaches stuck with him when most would've cut and run. They obviously saw something.

I just hope they all get their chance at the next level. They deserve it!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Loved it, thanks. Thanks to Cecil, always.

Loved reporter Eric's:

"But on this cold and windy Friday in March of 2020, the new cozy environs, known as O’Brate Stadium, all wrapped up in a fresh bow and with that new car smell, was saying it was ready for its closeup, Mr. DeMille. "

My wife and I throw that figure of speech back and forth and love it:
The real quote, I think....

All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up. Gloria Swanson as Norma DesmondSunset Boulevard