Big XII losing Fresno State in wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2014
Maybe we join up with the PAC 12 since they are losing Stanford and only have 5 teams, including Little Rock who is a perfect geographic team for us as well as a top 10 program like Arizona State and OSU's own Chris Pendleton now the head coach of Oregon State.

Basically anything is better than what we have now

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I agree Big 12 wrestling is dying a slow death by adding these garbage affiliate programs like Air Force, Utah Valley, Northern Colorado, Fresno State etc who just cannot compete. Doesn't help that West Virginia and 0u have been complete dumpster fires either
West Virginia has never really been a player in the college wrestling world, but I could see them being on the way up. OU on the other hand, used to have a top 5 program, but they have decided to let us have that sport, and try to make it less relevant.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Our conference does not matter really. If you are not in the Big Ten then no other conference matters in wrestling. The next best conference is pretty much whichever one we are in. Adding the affiliate teams has helped solve the biggest issue with the conference getting back more auto bids to nationals and Fresno leaving shouldn't change that much. In fact it might open a spot for a better team to be added (looking at you Mizzou).

Also the biggest problem with John is he is pulling a Hank Iba and is not willing to cheat to win. The OTCs that most big schools have now are really just a way to pay players and bring in the best talent with the lure of a future job while they train for the Olympics. Penn State is the worst at this and has even sniped some good current and former wrestlers from Ohio State. Good news on this front though is that most OTCs are being hurt a bunch with the current financial crunch (as evidenced by Iowa cutting theirs back).

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I don’t follow wrestling much, went to a couple of OSU v OU duals in college in the 90’s and they were awesome. Why the downfall of wrestling as a sport? Seems like several schools aren’t participating. Is this new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I don’t follow wrestling much, went to a couple of OSU v OU duals in college in the 90’s and they were awesome. Why the downfall of wrestling as a sport? Seems like several schools aren’t participating. Is this new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like it or not the biggest issue in the decline has been Title 9. Instead of schools adding womens sports/scholarships to meet the requirements of Title 9 many instead just eliminated lesser mens sports such as wrestling. Unfortunately covid and the financial issues it has caused for athletic departments will likely increase the loss of programs as Fresno State is showing. Athletic departments are having to make hard choices and most wrestling programs around the country are a net loss (and sometimes big loss) financially for athletic departments.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Speaking of Fresno State Wrestling, that always reminds me of one of my favorite opponent wrestlers. Does anyone else remember Sylvester Carver from the '80's? He was a pretty good wrestler and I think was maybe at the same weight as Mike Sheets. Anyway, he would always carry around a plastic Tweety Bird with him (since his name was Sylvester). He would kiss it and then kneel before it before each of his matches. Fun to watch.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
This made me chuckle (as opposed to lol!) because the post itself is the answer to the question it poses:

so many of us enjoyed at least some wrestling while we were at OSU, but it's not popular enough nationally to casually follow.

I personally had a small resurgence of interest a few years ago when the NCAA championship was going to be in okc and my wife's 2nd cousin qualified at 190 (he was at VaTech). I started paying more attention as he moved through regionals, plus OSU was strongly contending that year. We went down on Friday and saw the kid upset the 2nd or 3rd ranked guy in the morning session, then win his afternoon match. Unfortunately he injured his shoulder in that match; his coach tried to keep him out of the next match (Saturday) but being a 5th year senior he had to try. He lost, but still finished 5th or 6th and AA'd.

Between watching our guy win twice and pulling hard for all the Poke wrestlers (and against PSU, tOSU, Iowa, etc.) Friday was an awesome day. Unfortunately, since then I've only followed OSU wrestling on Orange Power, plus a little bit of the championships when the finals are on tv. And that's why wrestling isn't a big draw. About 5 programs draw intense interest from true fans of the sport and maybe 5-10 others remain relevant because they draw off some of the AA-quality wrestlers and affect team standings. Beyond that, similar to college hockey, volleyball, lacrosse, etc., wrestling popularity is pretty regionalized and just doesn't draw enough eyeballs to grow into major status.

Aug 7, 2006
I wish the Big 12 kept our 5 teams and joined forces with the ACC instead to form a wrestling conference since they only have 6 teams at least they have some real good programs like NC State, NC, Virginia Tech, Pitt etc
Pretty sure we tried that and the ACC schools decided against it. So, we took the other schools in to help get more auto bids for nationals.

Aug 7, 2006
We are not an AAU member (and likely can never meet their requirements), thus we will never get an invite to the Big 10.
They could add a school as an affiliate member. Johns Hopkins plays lacrosse in the B1G and Notre Dame plays hockey there. I doubt such an arrangement would ever happen for us in wrestling because they wouldn't want to help our program out.

Sep 9, 2013
big 12 wrestling died a long time ago, unfortunately. and frankly, if osu doesn't win the NC in the next 2-3 years, osu's long term standing as a wrestling powerhouse is in massive jeopardy. it likely is anyway. been 14 years since osu won a nc. for a program that has/had top 3 billing forever its fallen on hard times.
WVU just spent millions on wrestling. Our wrestling coach said WVU has a top 3 facility inj the nation. Stole the entire staff from edinboro, where this coach had a top 3 team and several top 10 teams. When other programs are making cuts, WVU even during covid, is sinking more cash into wrestling.

WVU wrestling will be decent this year. Had best 197 wrestler in the country last year, and have recruited well and picked up a transfer who articles say could be top 8 in his weight class.

WVU is investing in wrestling, and that should, within 2 years, help big 12 recruiting in PA and Ohio. WVU is still 2 years away from competing seriously with Oklahoma State, but the gap should be a bit closer this year.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
WVU just spent millions on wrestling. Our wrestling coach said WVU has a top 3 facility inj the nation. Stole the entire staff from edinboro, where this coach had a top 3 team and several top 10 teams. When other programs are making cuts, WVU even during covid, is sinking more cash into wrestling.

WVU wrestling will be decent this year. Had best 197 wrestler in the country last year, and have recruited well and picked up a transfer who articles say could be top 8 in his weight class.

WVU is investing in wrestling, and that should, within 2 years, help big 12 recruiting in PA and Ohio. WVU is still 2 years away from competing seriously with Oklahoma State, but the gap should be a bit closer this year.
lots of talent in that area, question is, can the b12 get any of the best ones to come to their school? psu, tosu, and other b10 schools will have a say on that.

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia has never really been a player in the college wrestling world, but I could see them being on the way up. OU on the other hand, used to have a top 5 program, but they have decided to let us have that sport, and try to make it less relevant.
I don't understand how they can't be a player. The rust belt is like the wrestling capital of the US. You would think they could find undervalued kids that could compete.