Big XII Coach Rankings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I believe Mike Gundy is probably the 5th best coach in the Big 12.

I’d put him ahead of Neal Brown, Joe Aranda, Chris Kielman and Matt Wells.

I think Les Miles is a better coach, but he ain’t turning Kansas around. Especially at this point of his career.

I’m unsure if Mike Gundy is better than Steve Sarkasian. He made Washington go from winless to NY Bowls and had a good 1st year at SC before his divorce and alcoholism severely detoured him for four years. I have to think he’s been on the straight and narrow, because Nick Saban doesn’t seem like much of a coddler/enabler.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I believe Mike Gundy is probably the 5th best coach in the Big 12.

I’d put him ahead of Neal Brown, Joe Aranda, Chris Kielman and Matt Wells.

I think Les Miles is a better coach, but he ain’t turning Kansas around. Especially at this point of his career.

I’m unsure if Mike Gundy is better than Steve Sarkasian. He made Washington go from winless to NY Bowls and had a good 1st year at SC before his divorce and alcoholism severely detoured him for four years. I have to think he’s been on the straight and narrow, because Nick Saban doesn’t seem like much of a coddled/enabler.
In all fairness, Gundy hasn't lost a job due to personal problems.

My fear is that Texas may have finally found the right guy & he'll win big there for a decade.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
No way Campbell and Patterson are ahead of Gundy, I like what Campbell is doing at ISU, but lets see some longevity before we put him that high, also i would say Riley needs to be higher plus no way Herman should be that high up too
Campbell has beaten OU twice, and has been coach of the year three times. And he’s only been at Iowa State for five years.

Same number of victories gundy has over Oklahoma in 15 years. And he’s won coach of the year one time.

And what makes it worse, is that he has never once had a better recruiting class than Gundy. That dude is is the epitome of doing more with less. I think he’s the best coach in the conference not named Lincoln

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Campbell has beaten OU twice, and has been coach of the year three times. And he’s only been at Iowa State for five years.

Same number of victories gundy has over Oklahoma in 15 years. And he’s won coach of the year one time.

And what makes it worse, is that he has never once had a better recruiting class than Gundy. That dude is is the epitome of doing more with less. I think he’s the best coach in the conference not named Lincoln
He's also 1-4 against Gundy, but why nitpick?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I haven't read all the details in this thread, but it seems pretty simple if you just want to compare coaches within the conference: they all play each other every year, so conference records should be the primary criteria. Even when one leads the other head-to-head it just means the second guy is doing better against the rest of the conference than guy #1. Probably should be a 4 or 5 season minimum to mean much.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
He's also 1-4 against Gundy, but why nitpick?
Because having a winning record against osu doesnt move the needle like beating the kings of the conference.

So apparently OU has an ISU problem. OSU not as much. So if we only look at ISU wins then OSU>OU. That is the false logic generated by looking at only one opponent to judge any team.
OU is the standard in the big 12, so it really matters most how you do against them. Big 12 titles go through Norman, not stillwater. Ou does not have a isu problem; they cant beat OU when it matters most- But Campbell has gotten a lot out of the very little bit of talent he has there, and he's won coach of the year 3 times in 5 years, that's impressive when the best coach in the conference has only done it once. He's easily the 2nd best coach in the conference and has experienced nearly as much success in the big 12 in 5 years as gundy has in 15. I am very glad texas didnt get him.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Because having a winning record against osu doesnt move the needle like beating the kings of the conference.

OU is the standard in the big 12, so it really matters most how you do against them. Big 12 titles go through Norman, not stillwater. Ou does not have a isu problem; they cant beat OU when it matters most- But Campbell has gotten a lot out of the very little bit of talent he has there, and he's won coach of the year 3 times in 5 years, that's impressive when the best coach in the conference has only done it once. He's easily the 2nd best coach in the conference and has experienced nearly as much success in the big 12 in 5 years as gundy has in 15. I am very glad texas didnt get him.
This has absolutely nothing to do with one of the coaches beating the other one head to head 80% of the time. Definietly one of the sillier arguments you've ever made.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
This has absolutely nothing to do with one of the coaches beating the other one head to head 80% of the time. Definietly one of the sillier arguments you've ever made.
Ok, bottom line, who cares what his record is against osu? irrelevant. Cause they arent OU. Your agreement isnt necessary. His accolades speak for themselves. You dont win coach of the year 3 times, an not a single one of those times is your team the best without impressing a lot of people. Before he signed a new deal with iowa state, 6 different NFL teams asked about his availability, as well as arkansas and fsu. So, it's not just me.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Ok, bottom line, who cares what his record is against osu? irrelevant. Cause they arent OU. Your agreement isnt necessary. His accolades speak for themselves. You dont win coach of the year 3 times, an not a single one of those times is your team the best without impressing a lot of people. Before he signed a new deal with iowa state, 6 different NFL teams asked about his availability, as well as arkansas and fsu. So, it's not just me.
Lol, I'm not even arguing that Gundy's a better coach here. Just pointing out how ridiculous your logic is.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Ok, bottom line, who cares what his record is against osu? irrelevant. Cause they arent OU.
I mean the counter argument is Kansas State, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK

Based on that argument, I would say he's a better coach than Riley.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

Based on that argument, I would say he's a better coach than Riley.
That would be like saying Les Miles is a better coach than Stoops because he beat him twice in Stillwater. Simply untrue despite two miraculous victories.

Unfortunately for Campbell, he wasn’t good enough to beat Oklahoma when it mattered. That & the continuity of winning the conference championship every year he’s been at OU are examples of why Riley is better.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That would be like saying Les Miles is a better coach than Stoops because he beat him twice in Stillwater. Simply untrue despite two miraculous victories.

Unfortunately for Campbell, he wasn’t good enough to beat Oklahoma when it mattered. That & the continuity of winning the conference championship every year he’s been at OU are examples of why Riley is better.
There was nothing about 38-28 that was miraculous. That's a very poor attempt at revisionist history.