Big XII Coach Rankings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Campbell is eons/light years/miles ahead of
Gundy. He is comfortably positioned at #2 behind Riley.
To each their own, this is why i love message boards, we are all entitled to our opinions. In terms of here and now and the hotter name at the moment i would probably put Campbell above Gundy, but lets see what Campbell can do with this little bit of success they have had this year. I feel like this year for Campbell is equivalent to 2011 for Gundy, now lets see what he can make out of the situation.

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Patterson has one shared title in 9 years. Gundy has 1 outright in 10 years. OSU has finished above TCU in the conference 6 out of 9 times. OSU has finished 2nd 3 times, TCU once.

Don't know how you exactly quantify good losses, bad losses, good wins and bad wins. One way is the quality of the roster. TCU consistently has a better star-rated roster. If that is in any way meaningful, there's only one way to cut it. OSU has more conference wins in the last year, last 2 years, last 3 years, last 4 years, last 5 yrs, last 6 years, last 8 years and last 9 years. The only span of time OSU hasn't had more wins is the last 7 years when the win total were exactly the same.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
To each their own, this is why i love message boards, we are all entitled to our opinions. In terms of here and now and the hotter name at the moment i would probably put Campbell above Gundy, but lets see what Campbell can do with this little bit of success they have had this year. I feel like this year for Campbell is equivalent to 2011 for Gundy, now lets see what he can make out of the situation.
Yeah Iowa State is going to discover that Ames is still Ames and they are one of the Silo Techs.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Do you think Campbell will still be in Ames after this year?
Probably unless the NFL comes calling. If I was Campbell, I'd be looking hard at an exit strategy because they've likely hit their peak. They are scheduled to lose a lot unless some of their stars go the super-senior route or do not opt for the NFL.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
All you guys with a hard-on for Patterson are leaving out that he had a huge drug ring involving a large group of players operating right under his nose.
Gundy on the other hand recruits high caliber individuals, knows what’s going on in his program and removes the bad actors. That is another thing that doesn’t show up in the win / loss or recruiting rankings.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
All you guys with a hard-on for Patterson are leaving out that he had a huge drug ring involving a large group of players operating right under his nose.
Gundy on the other hand recruits high caliber individuals, knows what’s going on in his program and removes the bad actors. That is another thing that doesn’t show up in the win / loss or recruiting rankings.
Yeah but Patterson plays in a band

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yeah but Patterson plays in a band
Game On!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Ya, but Gundy looks like he plays in a band. Patterson looks like a roadie.
If you haven't seen it, Fox or ESPN did a profile piece on Patterson & his music. Can't remember if it was our game against them or when it aired, but it was painful. Reminded me of a Dr. I worked with who dreamt of being a country music star. He had the $$$, so he'd go to Nashville, pay for studio time & record. His stuff was as bad as Patterson's, if not worse.

drbwh

Territorial Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
Ya, but Gundy looks like he plays in a band. Patterson looks like a roadie.
If you haven't seen it, Fox or ESPN did a profile piece on Patterson & his music. Can't remember if it was our game against them or when it aired, but it was painful. Reminded me of a Dr. I worked with who dreamt of being a country music star. He had the $$$, so he'd go to Nashville, pay for studio time & record. His stuff was as bad as Patterson's, if not worse.
Webb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2013
I have some spreadsheets pulled together that seem related to this thread. I started looking at LOSSES for the Big 12 conference teams since 2012 (the latest config with no divisions). I excluded the championship games as I was wanting to look at the losses over the course of the conference season (i.e., early conference games vs. late conference games). My hypothesis was that recruiting/depth was a major factor in our late-season losses against the team from Norman and that that concept applied to most conference teams (better recruiting teams would get better over the course of the season and lower-recruiting teams would get worse over the course of the season). The data didn't ultimately support that hypothesis. Seemed to more closely correlate to when teams were scheduled against Oklahoma. Here are some of my charts and tables. First, a look at us and Oklahoma by week across the conference seasons from 2012-2020. The solid line is a linear best fit of the weekly results. Interestingly, we have not lost a second Big 12 game since 2012 and they have not lost a 7th or 8th Big 12 game. We are the only teams in the conference with at least one clean "week".

Attachments

Nov 8, 2013
Here is the raw data for each conference team. Each game is reflected as wither a "W" or specifies the loss. They are uploaded in the order or conference winning percentage since 2012 (Baylor and TCU are tied for 5th). The coach for each season is listed in the spreadsheet. It is easy to see how every coach deals with "bad losses". Campbell is on a tear at ISU from his 2nd year onward. But including his first year, his conference win percentage is still lower than Gundy's from 2012-2020.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2013
And here is a table comparing the rank order of each team's 1) conference win percentage, 2) 247 Composite recruiting rankings, 3) the season slope (how steep the line is in the chart a couple of replies ago - steeper means gets stronger as conference season progresses, and 4) the average week that that team plays Oklahoma. The table is attached twice - sorted by the attribute circled. Some of the interesting anomalies are also circled.

Thanks to the Texas State Fair tradition, Texas plays Oklahoma on average much earlier than anyone else in the conference. Conversely, we face them the latest in the season on average by a large margin. You can see the actual numbers in the tables attached to the prior post.

Attachments

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
No way Campbell and Patterson are ahead of Gundy, I like what Campbell is doing at ISU, but lets see some longevity before we put him that high, also i would say Riley needs to be higher plus no way Herman should be that high up too
Campbell and Patterson are absolutely way, way, way ahead of Gundy.

Patterson has less to work with and contends for conference championships much more frequently than Gundy. I have always been impressed with how disciplined and well-coached his ragtag roster always is, and they always beat us with worse teams. Gundy himself usually admits to being out-coached whenever we play TCU.
You just hate Gundy. Admit it and go on.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk