Big XII Coach Rankings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Where Big XII Coaches ranked in the Top 50 from Low to High:

Les Miles - KU - 38
Chris Klieman - KSU - 35
Mike Gundy- OSU - 32
Matt Campbell - ISU - 29
Gary Patterson - TCU— 20
Tom Herman - UT - 15
Lincoln Riley - OU - 7

verbal

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Mar 26, 2009

Les Miles - KU - 38
Chris Klieman - KSU - 35
Mike Gundy- OSU - 32
Matt Campbell - ISU - 29
Gary Patterson - TCU— 20
Tom Herman - UT - 15
Lincoln Riley - OU - 7
I think this ranking is outdated.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

Les Miles - KU - 38
Chris Klieman - KSU - 35
Mike Gundy- OSU - 32
Matt Campbell - ISU - 29
Gary Patterson - TCU— 20
Tom Herman - UT - 15
Lincoln Riley - OU - 7
I read this and first though, “How are there 50 coaches in the Big XII?”

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
No way Campbell and Patterson are ahead of Gundy, I like what Campbell is doing at ISU, but lets see some longevity before we put him that high, also i would say Riley needs to be higher plus no way Herman should be that high up too

verbal

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Mar 26, 2009
What's the criteria, though? I don't have any huge issues with the list, but it would be nice to know why they believe Herman or Patterson are that highly "ranked".
With Tom Herman running the show, Texas is heading in the right direction again. The Longhorns were 25-15 in Herman's first three seasons. That's compared to 16-21 for the previous three seasons under Charlie Strong.
:lol:

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
No way Campbell and Patterson are ahead of Gundy, I like what Campbell is doing at ISU, but lets see some longevity before we put him that high, also i would say Riley needs to be higher plus no way Herman should be that high up too
I agree with you on Campbell but Patterson has owned Gundy the last few years, Also Riley is a top 3 or 4 coach and Herman doesn't belong in the top 30, few people do less with more than the HC at Texas. .

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I agree with you on Campbell but Patterson has owned Gundy the last few years, Also Riley is a top 3 or 4 coach and Herman doesn't belong in the top 30, few people do less with more than the HC at Texas. .
I think it depends on the criteria here. If you're talking about who's a hotter coach today, not the most accomplished over the last 15 years, ranking Campbell ahead of Gundy's not totally crazy.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I mean, they did preface it by saying "with Tom Herman running the show", but I'm sure they never realized that Tom Herman may not, in fact, be running the show once the list was published. I wonder what they think about Herman or Texas now that he's not running the show?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I think it depends on the criteria here. If you're talking about who's a hotter coach today, not the most accomplished over the last 15 years, ranking Campbell ahead of Gundy's not totally crazy.
We lost to them in 2011 and 2018 I would say that Gundy owns Campbell. Is Campbell a good coach? I would say no doubt but if winning is part of the criteria I would say Gundy is better, including this year when ISU went to the championship game. Probably what frustrates most fans is we think we know how good our team is only to lose to TCU and Texas(after dominating them the whole game)

verbal

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Mar 26, 2009
We lost to them in 2011 and 2018 I would say that Gundy owns Campbell. Is Campbell a good coach? I would say no doubt but if winning is part of the criteria I would say Gundy is better, including this year when ISU went to the championship game. Probably what frustrates most fans is we think we know how good our team is only to lose to TCU and Texas(after dominating them the whole game)
If you compare Gundy and Campbell at the same point in their tenure they basically have the same number of wins 36/35. Gundy took over a program that had winning seasons the three years prior to him being HC. Campbell took over a program that had losing seasons the 3 years prior to him taking over. Based on that it appears that Campbell has done more than Gundy did after 5 years of service.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I mean technically at this point Herman doesn't deserve to be on the list right?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What's the criteria, though? I don't have any huge issues with the list, but it would be nice to know why they believe Herman or Patterson are that highly "ranked".
With Tom Herman running the show, Texas is heading in the right direction again. The Longhorns were 25-15 in Herman's first three seasons. That's compared to 16-21 for the previous three seasons under Charlie Strong.
somebody may have already figured this out but from that wording above it already sounds like it was something that was written before the start of the season.

I mean I'm technically too lazy to look this up right now but did he just finish his third season?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk