Big Ben's big mouth is actually a big opportunity for Mason Rudolph

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Guerin Emig...

“I was surprised when they took a quarterback because I thought that maybe in the third round, you know, you can get some really good football players that can help this team now,” Roethlisberger told Pittsburgh’s 93.7 The Fan last Friday. “Nothing against Mason. I think he’s a great football player. I don’t know him personally, but I’m sure he’s a great kid. I just don’t know how backing up or being the third guy, well, who knows where he’s going to fall on the depth chart, helps us win now.”

Now the Oklahoma State rookie can forget about tiptoeing onto the training camp field. The Steelers being as big a deal in Pittsburgh as the Browns are in Cleveland, and certainly a bigger winner, Rudolph can suddenly expect as much scrutiny at his first camp as Mayfield will receive at his.
He is doing his best to head it off.

“If I was Ben, I’d probably say the same thing,” Rudolph told the NFL Network. “He’s a competitor. Obviously, he has a lot of confidence in himself, like I do. He’s going to be a future Hall of Famer, and I would expect him to say that.

“I’m just looking forward to going in there and learning the system, competing, raising my level of play, preparing like I’m the starter even though obviously I won’t be the starter, and just waiting and being prepared for whenever I get my time.”

That’s quintessential Rudolph. His veneer is so polished, and yet you must believe if someone rubs at it long enough they’ll reveal rougher edges. Surely a little more fire.
Link

Aug 16, 2012
No way BR lasts 3-5 more years. This is BR being defensive because the Steelers recognize his time is limited and he does not want to accept it.

Nov 28, 2008
No way BR lasts 3-5 more years. This is BR being defensive because the Steelers recognize his time is limited and he does not want to accept it.
To buttress that view: his appeal to "help us right now" -- which is always of concern, no doubt -- shows that he's more interested in the now rather than the future.

Mar 8, 2010
What a jerk! If BR gets injured, he's not going to be much help in winning "now". Shows how much communication there must be between him and management. I think you can read a lot between the lines on that comment.

May 8, 2009
Germantown, TN
Speaking of getting hurt, hasn't he had a lot of time in the last few years recovering for various injuries??

I want to be a Steelers fan. But BR makes me want to see them lose when he's at the helm.

PS What Siggypoke said.....

Jun 14, 2011
Speaking of getting hurt, hasn't he had a lot of time in the last few years recovering for various injuries??

I want to be a Steelers fan. But BR makes me want to see them lose when he's at the helm.

PS What Siggypoke said.....
I am a Steelers fan and you guys make great points about his injuries. I'll add on and say this isn't the first year (in a row) that he has either mentioned retirement or been vague when asked about it. So what the hell does the expect the team to do?

StatePoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 29, 2005
His time left is short so obviously he is focused on the immediate short term. I don't really have a problem with someone wanting to win now when they know they won't be around tomorrow. Rudolph is in a good position.

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
Not surprised BR feels this way, at his age and with his history of injuries he has a short term view of things. I am surprised he would make comments like that on the radio. Those are things you might say in private to the coach, GM or maybe a few friends on the team. But to throw the organization and Rudolph under the bus in public is not smart and certainly not classy.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Really? I could see him playing 3 more years. Honestly, I hope he plays at least two more, because MR will need all the time he can get as a backup before being thrown in the fire.

Feb 18, 2009
I don't remember Brett Favre saying anything like that when they took Aaron Rogers. Different times I guess. Mason's future is to learn from a Super Bowl QB and be molded to push the Steelers Franchise forward when QB1 finally breaks down for good. Nothing more, nothing less. Great situation for Mason to be in and he needs to treat it just like Rogers did.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2013
Really? I could see him playing 3 more years. Honestly, I hope he plays at least two more, because MR will need all the time he can get as a backup before being thrown in the fire.
I hope this is his last year, I get the idea behind years of learning the ropes, but Bell and Brown are both the best at their positions right now, in 3 years who knows. Rudolph needs to take advantage of the elite talent around him while he can. Sitting a year and then stepping in with that cast seems like the perfect plan to me.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I am a Steelers fan and you guys make great points about his injuries. I'll add on and say this isn't the first year (in a row) that he has either mentioned retirement or been vague when asked about it. So what the hell does the expect the team to do?
This. While I don't wish injury to any football player, I hope for a Bledsoe/Brady situation to happen where Rudolph takes the reins and puts this grump out to pasture. SI.com (shudder) actually had a good article reminding BR how Maddox graciously mentored him after fighting his way back into the league. They said BR should have learned a lesson from Maddox and hinted he has something to learn from MR's handling of this situation.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I hope this is his last year, I get the idea behind years of learning the ropes, but Bell and Brown are both the best at their positions right now, in 3 years who knows. Rudolph needs to take advantage of the elite talent around him while he can. Sitting a year and then stepping in with that cast seems like the perfect plan to me.
That's assuming Bell signs back with the Steelers....but your point is taken. I just think he'll need more than a year of QB coaching and learning the offense to succeed in the NFL (if he makes the team).

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Just in case anyone sees this thread before the other I just posted in, Associated Press has a report and a few photos...

PITTSBURGH — Mason Rudolph started wearing the No. 2 while playing high school football in South Carolina. He kept it during his record-breaking career at Oklahoma State, where he left as the program's all-time winningest quarterback.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers let him know No. 2 was available when he reported for rookie minicamp, he jumped at the chance.

The two-time defending AFC North champions raised eyebrows when they traded up to grab Rudolph in the third round of the draft — with general manager Kevin Colbert stressing the team had given Rudolph a first-round grade. Rudolph is well aware that he's second on the depth chart — and more likely third — behind Ben Roethlisberger and Landry Jones.

"I'm looking forward to embracing my role now on this team and learning," Rudolph said Friday after finishing his first practice as a pro along with the other rookies and first-year players.
Link

m1.jpg m2.jpg m3.jpg m4.jpg

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Exactly. No one wants to train their replacement.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I don't remember Brett Favre saying anything like that when they took Aaron Rogers. Different times I guess. Mason's future is to learn from a Super Bowl QB and be molded to push the Steelers Franchise forward when QB1 finally breaks down for good. Nothing more, nothing less. Great situation for Mason to be in and he needs to treat it just like Rogers did.
Do you remember Favre retiring, then changing his mind? Do you remember the pack saying they had already named Rogers the starter? Do you remember the uproar of indignation when Favre didn't get his way?

Ben hasn't retired. He still plans to be the guy. His job is to be the guy, not to train the guy, until such time as the coach tells him his role has changed. All the fake indignation isn't going to help anyone, and the only issue that exists is in the eye of the media, and the easily distracted fans.