Big 12 wrestling(preview)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
1. Oklahoma State-wins title every year.

2?

3?

4?

5?

6?

7. WVU

someone with actual knowledge of wrestling will have to fill in the rest of the rankings. I'm sure WVU is dead last, but at least noah Adams won his 1st 2 tournaments of the year, so he cant be terrible.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
1. Oklahoma State-wins title every year.

2?

3?

4?

5?

6?

7. WVU

someone with actual knowledge of wrestling will have to fill in the rest of the rankings. I'm sure WVU is dead last, but at least noah Adams won his 1st 2 tournaments of the year, so he cant be terrible.
I don't know enough to fill in the blanks but I always assumed Iowa State and OU to battle for #2. OU seems to be throwing in the towel lately so I'll default Iowa State to #2 just because.

I also don't know much about WVU, but there is a ton of potential there with the membership in a historically great wrestling conference combined with close proximity to great recruiting territory. WVU will not be last. The door is open for WVU to work it's way into the top 3 with some commitment and a good hire. Not this year, but soon.

Sep 9, 2013
WVU supposedly made a good hire but he didnt show much last year. Pitt even beat us and they suck.
He had a top 10 team at some school i never heard of(edelman or something). So he's likely a better coach than what we've had.

he gets paid a lot for a wrestling coach, and WVU shelled out enough cash that he could bring his entire staff with him.

Flynn, is his name.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
WVU supposedly made a good hire but he didnt show much last year. Pitt even beat us and they suck.
He had a top 10 team at some school i never heard of(edelman or something). So he's likely a better coach than what we've had.

he gets paid a lot for a wrestling coach, and WVU shelled out enough cash that he could bring his entire staff with him.

Flynn, is his name.
WV came in 9th in the conference last year, and yes the Big 12 does actually have 12 members when it comes to wrestling. Don't be surprised if you guys become a top 10 team in the next half decade.

Sep 9, 2013
found this on a site called "open mat." no clue if they know much or not.

After 21 years of heading an Edinboro program that “did more with less” any other DI program, Tim Flynn finally moved on and took over the West Virginia program for the 2018-19 season. Flynn led Edinboro to five top-ten finishes and was named the NCAA’s DI Coach of the Year after earning an NCAA team trophy with a third-place showing in 2015. In year one at West Virginia, Flynn’s team scuffled to a 4-14 record and settled in at ninth in the Big 12. There were plenty of bright spots, as five Mountaineer wrestlers qualified for nationals, which was the highest number for the program since 2014. While four of those national qualifiers are back in 2019-20, only three of them will compete for WVU. During the first season under Flynn and his staff recruiting has improved dramatically. West Virginia is located in between wrestling powerhouses Ohio and Pennsylvania and the incoming class is filled with wrestlers from those two states, along with some home-state flavor. This year’s Mountaineer squad is expected to be young, as many as five weights could be handled by freshmen, and only one senior is penciled into the starting lineup.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was going to put this together this week.

Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Northern Iowa probably round out the top 4. Wyoming, Northern Colorado, and Utah Valley probably finish ahead of WVU.

Pitt doesn’t suck... and Flynn will have a competitive team eventually. He has a major negative perception to change. The #3 recruit in the country is from West Virginia, and he didn’t even consider the Mountaineers. Va Tech gets most of the top talent in the state. And the Western PA and NJ guys that y’all should be going after still pick Lehigh, Ohio, Bucknell, etc. over West Virginia.

It’s hard to change that in one year.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.42.24 PM.png

Kinda small... but here's the current Big 12 lineups for 2019-2020.

I have it in order of how the teams finished last season, not necessarily where they will finish this season.... but this is the "ranked wrestler" and "freshmen" breakdowns per team.

Oklahoma State - 5 ranked wrestlers, 3 freshmen
Iowa State - 8 ranked wrestlers, 2 freshmen
Northern Iowa - 6 ranked wrestlers, 1 freshman
Oklahoma - 4 ranked wrestlers, 3 freshmen
Fresno State - 5 ranked wrestlers, 1 freshman
Utah Valley - 5 ranked wrestlers, 1 freshman
Wyoming - 7 ranked wrestlers, 1 freshman
North Dakota State - 5 ranked wrestlers, 1 freshman
West Virginia - 3 ranked wrestlers, 3 freshmen
South Dakota State - 1 ranked wrestlers, 4 freshmen
Air Force - 1 ranked wrestler, 0 freshmen
Northern Colorado - 5 ranked wrestlers, 3 freshmen

It's safe to assume that OSU will be at the top until they aren't. Especially if Kaid Brock comes back at 133, Travis Wittlake develops to his potential at 165, and Anthony Montalvo continues what he does from his redshirt year and is able to win the spot at 197. There's an obvious gap at heavyweight that, frankly, will probably not qualify for NCAAs unless Neil Putnam ends up being awesome or Austin Harris holds the weight well.

Iowa State is contending. David Carr at 157 is coming off of an incredible redshirt season and summer, where he claimed a gold medal at the junior world championships. From 125-157, they're really good... and then they have some other good wrestlers sprinkled into their upper weights. Austin Gomez is the clear favorite in the conference at 133.

Northern Iowa is highly experienced and has some really good wrestlers. Last year they produced an NCAA champ at 184... he's graduated, but they've got 3 or 4 guys that really could make some noise at the national tournament.

Oklahoma has quietly built a really strong roster... mostly of guys from Pennsylvania and Ohio. Dom Demas is a certified hammer at 141 with a lethal inside trip. He's currently ranked #2, as he lost in week 1 to Luke Pletcher of Ohio State... but that legitimately could be a national finals match.

Fresno State has only been back for three years now... and they have some studs. Josh Hokit is a returning All-American, who also happens to be a leading rusher in the Mountain West Conference for the football team. AJ Nevills is a solid heavyweight as well.

Utah Valley also has some really solid wrestlers. Demetrius Romero at 165 is the returning Big 12 champ.

Wyoming's openers are all really solid. Cole Verner, Montorie Bridges, and Sam Turner make for a pretty powerful 1-2-3 in the lineup. Brian Andrews at heavyweight is also somebody that we really could've used this season... but transferring to Wyoming looks like it'll work out for him.

North Dakota State has solid wrestlers at 133 and 165. Possible All Americans.

West Virginia actually has some new blood in their lineup that could be really, really solid. Look out for Scott Joll at 174. Also, almost the entire roster is freshmen and sophomores... Tim Flynn will have this team wrestling well in short order.

South Dakota State and Air Force are pretty hopeless.

Northern Colorado just signed 3 hammers in this class and they are all going their true freshmen years. Fully expect them to finish much better than last place this season.

If I were to project the way the teams finish...

1 - Oklahoma State
2 - Iowa State
3 - Wyoming
4 - Northern Iowa
5 - Oklahoma
6 - Fresno State
7 - North Dakota State
8 - Utah Valley
9 - Northern Colorado
10 - West Virginia
11 - South Dakota State
12 - Air Force

Sep 6, 2014
I know this will be unpopular but it's good that 0u is back to being a legit team again and will soon probably be top 10ish. It's good for the state and good for the conference

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I know this will be unpopular but it's good that 0u is back to being a legit team again and will soon probably be top 10ish. It's good for the state and good for the conference
Yeah I don't like it either but it's best for OSU as a program... OSU and OU both being good helps the youth in the state of Oklahoma see a path to being great, and it's really paid off for OSU lately with some great prospects in the state. If you look around the country, there's an Oklahoma kid on most rosters... And a lot of that has to do with OU's youth training program.

So yeah... OU being good is what's best for OSU. As weird as that sounds.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Them being competitive is very important for the Big 12. The Big 10 is the wrestling conference right now with ISU and ou having been down in competition. Northern Iowa, Wyoming, Fresno St. will be more competitive and hopefully West Virginia in the near future. This year is ISU's chance to contend for the Big 12 if they are going to have a chance because the next.....years OSU will be top 1/2 in the nation if all the recruits live up to their talent. It seems like graduation, Fix's ORS, and injuries are hurting the squad this year but there are a lot of talented young guys that are going to be hard to deal with around tourney time