Big-12 Title picture...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
The loses by Iowa St, KSU early in the season doomed the big 12 credibility in the eyes of the country. The reality is the big 12 isn’t very strong and when you go out and beat Iowa St by only 3 at home it’s perception. Hell if your the university of Louisiana you wondering how in the world is Iowa St ranked 17th when we beat them by 20 at there place.
OSU will have to run the table and start beating the crap out of people to have any chance.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Was listening to college sports Sunday on XM, they had some writer on and the question was who deserves that 4th playoff spot out of Georgia, Notre Dame and Oklahoma State. First thing the guy said was; well it's not Oklahoma State.

He then went on to say that A&M was actually the most likely. They could finish 9-1, not have to play in the SEC title game, and then if bama beats georgia again, they'll be the highest rated sec team.

We are going to be Rodney Dangerfield this year.....no respect no respect at all. I guess it's good to even be included in the question at this point, even if we are immediately dismissed in the answer.
I COULD win the lottery, but it's not likely, just like aTm going 9-1. They beat Florida, and that's their total claim to fame. There are a few potholes on their road to 9-1.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The loses by Iowa St, KSU early in the season doomed the big 12 credibility in the eyes of the country. The reality is the big 12 isn’t very strong and when you go out and beat Iowa St by only 3 at home it’s perception. Hell if your the university of Louisiana you wondering how in the world is Iowa St ranked 17th when we beat them by 20 at there place.
OSU will have to run the table and start beating the crap out of people to have any chance.
Quit listening to the pundits. They've been wrong every year at this point in the season.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Was listening to college sports Sunday on XM, they had some writer on and the question was who deserves that 4th playoff spot out of Georgia, Notre Dame and Oklahoma State. First thing the guy said was; well it's not Oklahoma State.

He then went on to say that A&M was actually the most likely. They could finish 9-1, not have to play in the SEC title game, and then if bama beats georgia again, they'll be the highest rated sec team.

We are going to be Rodney Dangerfield this year.....no respect no respect at all. I guess it's good to even be included in the question at this point, even if we are immediately dismissed in the answer.
That very well may be what happens. But if an undefeated P5 team is left out of the playoff, then it just confirms what a sham the whole system is.

I'll say though, most of the predictions out there assume we will not go undefeated. I think a lot of people will change their tune if we do.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK

I remember one of these talking heads saying we don't need an 8 team playoffs because the current conference championship games act as that first round. Well, first of all, that's a bogus statement because Ohio State was in the playoffs in a year they didn't win the B1G. But using his argument, which I agree should be a hard and fast rule when there are only 4 teams in the playoffs, you don't get in if you don't win your conference. Period. End of story.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
it bedevils me to understand who is keeping this cfp at four teams and why. can anyone explain?

these eye-test placements work against the best interests of college football by eliminating p5 conference champions. it's just senselessness. #emaw

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So since few nation pundits think that we can win out, when we do win out will all of them say "what an accomplishment, they NEED to be included in the CFP" ?

NinjaPoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
it bedevils me to understand who is keeping this cfp at four teams and why. can anyone explain?

these eye-test placements work against the best interests of college football by eliminating p5 conference champions. it's just senselessness. #emaw
Every year, someone is getting blown out:

2014: Oregon 52 vs FSU 20.
2015: Clemson 37 vs Gooners 17, Bama 38 vs M.State 0
2016: Bama 24 vs WA 7, Clemson 37 vs tOSU 0
2017: Bama 24 vs Clemson 6
2018: Bama 45 vs Gooners 34, Clemson 30 vs ND 3
2019: LSU 63 vs Gooners 28, LSU 42 vs Clemson 25.

I believe the argument is that there will be a bunch of blow out games for the #1 vs #8, #2 vs #7, and #3 vs #6 matchups. 3 games, 3 blowouts.

I still say 8 team playoff.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker

I believe the argument is that there will be a bunch of blow out games for the #1 vs #8, #2 vs #7, and #3 vs #6 matchups. 3 games, 3 blowouts.

All I really get out of that is the Gooners are tops in the category of being blown out in big games. :innocent:

Nov 8, 2013

Well said. I agree with you as to the argument and your conclusion that we still need an 8 team playoff.
Every year in March Madness there are lots of 16-1 and 15-2 blowouts. But the upsets are awesome.

Sep 15, 2006
Prediction: Oklahoma State runs the table and wins Big 12 title ... Georgia knocks off Alabama in SEC title game ... Two 1-loss SEC teams go to CFP, along with Clemson and tOSU ...

The rest of America is outraged and Oklahoma State being hosed finally is the catalyst for an 8-team playoff beginning next year.

:vomit:

Oct 30, 2007
Prediction: Oklahoma State runs the table and wins Big 12 title ... Georgia knocks off Alabama in SEC title game ... Two 1-loss SEC teams go to CFP, along with Clemson and tOSU ...

The rest of America is outraged and Oklahoma State being hosed finally is the catalyst for an 8-team playoff beginning next year.

:vomit:
And it is a 2-0 Ohio st

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
One factor here regarding the playoff that's potentially huge: B1G policy of positive cases having to miss 21 days of action, as the 2nd wave of the virus blows up. Folks, there aren't that many days to fudge around with that type of policy, just look at Wisconsin already.

I'd also add that the PAC12 playing a max of 7 games, with no built in bye weeks, is gonna be tough sledding to get that done with no interruptions. So how does an undefeated Oregon look to the committee if they only get in 5 or 6 games?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Try this scenario on for size. (Btw, it’s not totally impossible)

OU wins out (good chance)
UT wins out (not impossible)
ISUs only remaining loss is UT (reasonably possible)
OSU loses to OU and UT (reasonably possible)

Thus there is a 4-way tie at 7-2. Record against the teams tied - OU and UT will be 2-1, OSU and ISU will be 1-2.

CCG: OU v UT

Yuk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anybody feeling this possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk