Big-12 Title picture...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Tulane and GT both left the SEC voluntarily because they foresaw the SEC's fanatical focus on football as inconsistent with their schools' academic mission.
GT left over a feud between Bobby Dodd and Bear Bryant. Tulane's academic requirements are no more rigorous than Vanderbilt's.

Guess again, little one.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
My Crystal Ball.
1. OSU 8-1 (OU in Norman, Hope I’m wrong)
2. OU 7-2 (Do enough to finish close games)
3. UT 6-3 (Loss to OSU)
4. ISU 6-3 (Loss to OSU, UT, TCU)
5. KSU 5-4 (Loss to UT, ISU, OSU, WVU)
6. TCU 5-4 (Loss to OU, OSU,)
7. WVU 4-5 (Loss to OU, ISU, UT, TCU)
8. BU 2-7 if they play(win over Tech and KU)
9. Tech 1-8 ( at least they beat ku)
10. KU 0-9 (No explanation necessary)

OSU Beats OU in the CCG and goes on to a non-playoff BCS bowl.

* There is probably some mathematical impossibilities in my prediction, too lazy to look up but I see something like this.

** Expecting something unexpected to completely blow this...

If you correct for the fact that ISU already has a win over TCU, that puts ISU and OU tied in your scenario at 7-2 with ISU having the tiebreak over OU.

So as I said in my original post, really good chance that the game this Saturday could be the first of two meetings with Iowa State this year...

This weekend may well be the most important game we have left this season. A win over ISU and the math becomes pretty good for us to make the CCG.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
"Half the Big-12 already has 2 conference losses and we can expect Baylor and West Virginia to join that group shortly"

Define shortly. WVU will lose a 2nd game somewhere, but i highly doubt it's in the next 3 games.
And bc of injuries and COVID, you cant really look too far ahead. just last season, OSU was without any of its 3 headed monster on offense and its defense was run off the field after being worn down by the Sooners.

OSU is obviously a favorite to make the ccg, but there's a lot of football left. TCU and WVU are capable of beating any team in the big 12 on a given day. I cant recall when kstate last beat WVU and I can assure you it wont be this year. WVU and TCU are not likely to make the ccg, but i think they both have a large say in who does.

WVU has 2 starting offensive linemen out today due to "contact tracing." Wont matter against kansas, but these are the things that can kill you.
I've got WVU losing 3 of their final 4 games... So I don't see WVU in the title mix this season.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Obviously the OSU - ISU is the biggest game of the week in terms of CCG picture, but the TCU/OU games is yuge:
The winner is still in the hunt, loser is likely out.
Both lost to KSU and ISU
Both beat Texas
TCU much better defense, less turnover prone
OU much better offense, but more turnover prone.

I still give the edge to OU but a TCU can take this game. With TCU being 7.5 home dogs, I expect them to cover with a decent shot to win straight up. I am not sure what Vegas has seen in the 3 common opponents to warrant that spread - unless there is a big injury / covid im not factoring.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
You've seen more out of TCU than I have... I see OU winning this game.

With both OU and TCU already having 2 losses, they need help from OSU/ISU/KSU to lose some games. Since ISU/KSU have the tiebreak over OU and TCU, they are in essence 3 games up on those 2 with only 6 games to play. Doubt both ISU and KSU will slip up enough to put a 2-loss OU/TCU team back in the CCG mix.

I think the CCG picture is a 3 horse race for OSU/ISU/KSU....

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Lots of games yet to be played;
OSU/ISU/KSU is a guaranteed 3 losses
OSU vs 0U and Ut + ISU vs uT and KSU vs uT are potential 4 losses

One team may to 9-0 or 8-1 but a good chance the other CCG participant is 7-2.

Things do look tough for 0U with ISU and KSU already having the tie-breaker on them.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
You've seen more out of TCU than I have... I see OU winning this game.

With both OU and TCU already having 2 losses, they need help from OSU/ISU/KSU to lose some games. Since ISU/KSU have the tiebreak over OU and TCU, they are in essence 3 games up on those 2 with only 6 games to play. Doubt both ISU and KSU will slip up enough to put a 2-loss OU/TCU team back in the CCG mix.

I think the CCG picture is a 3 horse race for OSU/ISU/KSU....
I am interested to see what happens to KSU without Skyler Thompson in games in which they need to score. Will Howard looked good when he came in against Tech. Then they beat TCU but he didn't look good from a passing perspective. Teams like OSU and UT could get away from them quick.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
I am interested to see what happens to KSU without Skyler Thompson in games in which they need to score. Will Howard looked good when he came in against Tech. Then they beat TCU but he didn't look good from a passing perspective. Teams like OSU and UT could get away from them quick.
k-state will go as far as its defense will carry them.

you're correct, if either ut or oSu jump on the cats, they're not good enough to play catch-up, not only with the freshman qb, will howard, but also the receiving corps is dreadful outside of throwing to running backs and tight end, briley moore.

the defense though is salty. they mauled tcu.

Sep 9, 2013
I've got WVU losing 3 of their final 4 games... So I don't see WVU in the title mix this season.
WVU has no hope of making the Big 12 ccg. I said as much. What i said is WVU will have a big say in who does go. WVU has kstate at home, and i think the number 1 defense in the country shuts down kstate and WVU wins its 5th straight against the Wildcats.

WVU will also beat TCU at home. Again, TCU's offense will go nowhere against WVU's defense.

OU is a loss most likely. WVU just cant score points and it is doubtful WVU's defense can hold OU under 20 points.

I give WVU a 50/50 shot @ Texas and ISU.

FWIW Joe Klatt, the TV partner of Gus Johnson, predicts a WVU v Oklahoma State rematch in the ccg. He said WVU's defense is that good.

WVU's defense does lead the country in total defense.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
WVU has no hope of making the Big 12 ccg. I said as much. What i said is WVU will have a big say in who does go. WVU has kstate at home, and i think the number 1 defense in the country shuts down kstate and WVU wins its 5th straight against the Wildcats.

WVU will also beat TCU at home. Again, TCU's offense will go nowhere against WVU's defense.

OU is a loss most likely. WVU just cant score points and it is doubtful WVU's defense can hold OU under 20 points.

I give WVU a 50/50 shot @ Texas and ISU.

FWIW Joe Klatt, the TV partner of Gus Johnson, predicts a WVU v Oklahoma State rematch in the ccg. He said WVU's defense is that good.

WVU's defense does lead the country in total defense.
Did you hear that WVU’s defense leads the nation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Anybody discounting ou at this point hasn't been paying attention to recent history. They have a RS freshman at QB who is struggling with turnovers a bit....we can sympathize because of last year but we also know it got better for SS as the year went along....no reason to expect different from Rattler.

What scares me more about ou is that true freshman DB they put in against texas that looked like a stud. We are going to need to throw deep to beat ou, if they find a pass defense by the time we play them, that will not be good for us.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
although OU looks like they're struggling.....they tend to play their best ball in November, and if they ride the ship, I expect them to be in the mix. After all, they've already played 2 of the better teams in the conference in Iowa State and KSU. The rest of their games are winnable assuming they take care of the mishaps. In terms of beating OU...it's just one of those things...."I'll believe it when I see it". We've been the better team before, and still managed to catch that L. I like where we sit, but we got a long way to go.
OU has righted the ship for sure. We must win all of our games which probably means beaing ou twice in one year. We'll see how good we are. GO POKES!!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Anybody discounting ou at this point hasn't been paying attention to recent history. They have a RS freshman at QB who is struggling with turnovers a bit....we can sympathize because of last year but we also know it got better for SS as the year went along....no reason to expect different from Rattler.

What scares me more about ou is that true freshman DB they put in against texas that looked like a stud. We are going to need to throw deep to beat ou, if they find a pass defense by the time we play them, that will not be good for us.
I'm pretty sure we can run on them...and that our defense can shut them semi down.