Big 12 perception: non-Con games

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So besides helmet stickers, the Big 12 will be measured on non-conf games. Here's the big ones-

1. 0U-tOSU: Big win for Sooners and the Big 12. Dominated in their house
2. Texas-USC: horns will probably live up to their 14 pt underdog ratings keeping USC over-rated.
3. TCU-Arkansas: TCU was better than the final score indicated. Good win for Conference.
4. WV-VT: loss that really hurt as WV was the better team and VT will be top 20 come CPF voting time
5. OSU-Pitt: we need to pounce on them early and often
6. ISU-Iowa: kind of a push; lost in OT with ISU thought to be the bottom of Big12 and Iowa a middle BIG.
7. Texas-Maryland: horns damaged the conference with this egg laid at home.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
With as bad a Baylor is and no one thinks of anything a Ku or Tech win would be other than a miracle against a good non-con team, I didn't consider those in the above list.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
a Texas upset of USC will start to do wonders for getting some respect back for our conference especially after the Gooners win. I think TCU's win over Arkansas has really gone under the radar too unfortunately

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
So besides helmet stickers, the Big 12 will be measured on non-conf games. Here's the big ones-

1. 0U-tOSU: Big win for Sooners and the Big 12. Dominated in their house
2. Texas-USC: horns will probably live up to their 14 pt underdog ratings keeping USC over-rated.
3. TCU-Arkansas: TCU was better than the final score indicated. Good win for Conference.
4. WV-VT: loss that really hurt as WV was the better team and VT will be top 20 come CPF voting time
5. OSU-Pitt: we need to pounce on them early and often
6. ISU-Iowa: kind of a push; lost in OT with ISU thought to be the bottom of Big12 and Iowa a middle BIG.
7. Texas-Maryland: horns damaged the conference with this egg laid at home.
ISU-Iowa ultimately helps. Matt Campbell's done a great job there, but he still has a ways to go talent-wise. Meanwhile, people were looking to Iowa to unseat Wisconsin.

We'll see what VT does the rest of the season. That might be a "quality loss," to use the parlance of our times, if they have a strong season.

If UT plays USC respectably, and has an otherwise decent season, the Maryland loss will look like new coach growing pains.

We should have kicked Baylor out. We still should.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
ISU-Iowa ultimately helps. Matt Campbell's done a great job there, but he still has a ways to go talent-wise. Meanwhile, people were looking to Iowa to unseat Wisconsin.

We'll see what VT does the rest of the season. That might be a "quality loss," to use the parlance of our times, if they have a strong season.

If UT plays USC respectably, and has an otherwise decent season, the Maryland loss will look like new coach growing pains.

We should have kicked Baylor out. We still should.
Kick Baylor out and add houston

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
You guys noticing all the pub the Big Xii is getting after ou's win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am going to be brutally honest and OU fans won't like this but I see Ohio State losing at least 3 more games this season. Their offense was pitiful.

I honesty believe OSU could have done the same to Ohio state this year.

I am calling for Ohio state to lose to Penn State, Michigan and Maryland. Yes I believe Maryland will upset them.

Aug 18, 2014
I am going to be brutally honest and OU fans won't like this but I see Ohio State losing at least 3 more games this season. Their offense was pitiful.

I honesty believe OSU could have done the same to Ohio state this year.

I am calling for Ohio state to lose to Penn State, Michigan and Maryland. Yes I believe Maryland will upset them.
I'm going to be brutally honest. Do you really think that a defense that gave up 244 yards rushing to Tulsa could go into the Shoe and shut down Ohio State? Dobbins would have chewed up OSU's defense like he did Indiana's the week before. He may even have broken Samaje's single game record.

I'm taking nothing away from Oklahoma State. Gundy is a great coach who knows how to get the most out of his team, but there is no way that Oklahoma State's defense would have dominated Ohio State's offense, and tOSU's defensive line would have been in the OSU backfield all night.

That Ohio State defensive line is regarded as the best in the nation. Against OU's OL, which many consider the top in the nation, they still got into the backfield and caused problems for Baker early. Do you really believe that the Cowboy OL could have done enough to give MR time to go through his progressions? My guess is no. Mason is no Baker. He can't elude heavy pressure and create on the run.

Think about it: Tulsa scored more points in the first half vs the Poke defense than the Buckeye's scored all night on OU's defense. Still think the Pokes would have done the same thing to tOSU?

Aug 28, 2013
Southeast OK
I'm going to be brutally honest. Do you really think that a defense that gave up 244 yards rushing to Tulsa could go into the Shoe and shut down Ohio State? Dobbins would have chewed up OSU's defense like he did Indiana's the week before. He may even have broken Samaje's single game record.

I'm taking nothing away from Oklahoma State. Gundy is a great coach who knows how to get the most out of his team, but there is no way that Oklahoma State's defense would have dominated Ohio State's offense, and tOSU's defensive line would have been in the OSU backfield all night.

That Ohio State defensive line is regarded as the best in the nation. Against OU's OL, which many consider the top in the nation, they still got into the backfield and caused problems for Baker early. Do you really believe that the Cowboy OL could have done enough to give MR time to go through his progressions? My guess is no. Mason is no Baker. He can't elude heavy pressure and create on the run.

Think about it: Tulsa scored more points in the first half vs the Poke defense than the Buckeye's scored all night on OU's defense. Still think the Pokes would have done the same thing to tOSU?

Yes. Ohio State sucks man. Sorry dude. You let ESPN get in your head about how "great" they were.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Tcu beat Arkansas. OU bear Ohio State. Enough said. Big 12 reputation is solid now. OU changed the narrative
TCU not only beat Arkansas, they did it not with "finesse." They beat Arkansas at their own game. They flat out pushed them around.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
TCU beating Arkansas is not really impressive. Maybe in name-sake, and it's certainly better than a loss. Arky was a 7 win team last year with 3 of the wins being Alcorn State, Texas State, and Louisiana Tech.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
TCU beating Arkansas is not really impressive. Maybe in name-sake, and it's certainly better than a loss. Arky was a 7 win team last year with 3 of the wins being Alcorn State, Texas State, and Louisiana Tech.
This is for the most part true of SEC teams. They play a very weak non-conf schedule at least 2 and sometimes 3 out of 4 non-conf games which pads their win totals. A few exceptions but not the rule. Looks overall very much like the Big 12 non-conf schedule. Don't know why we get so much grief over our non-conf schedule when theirs looks much the same.

Last edited: