Big 12 has some most profitable Athletic depts.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
USAToday:
the revenue to expense ratio shows a healthy athletic department at West Virginia. In fact, the $21.4 million in "profit" is the fifth-highest in the entire country, only Texas A&M ($55.4 million), Georgia ($38.6), Oregon ($25.5), and Oklahoma ($22.3) had a greater difference between their revenue and their expenses during the 2016-17 fiscal year....

There's big money in the Big12, at least at the top. The aforementioned Texas and Oklahoma (No. 7 in total revenue) are big money makers, with West Virginia joining the Sooners as one of the most profitable. After that, Kansas is the next school at No. 36 ($95.3 million in revenue) and Oklahoma State at No. 40 ($91.6 million). Texas Tech (No. 43), Kansas State (No. 45), and Iowa State (No. 50) round out the league's representatives, as private institutions like TCU and Baylor were not required to provide their financials.

The complete top ten by total revenue goes Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, and Auburn.

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I'm amazed that Texas has all the money and recruits in the world, yet makes our conference look like a sad heap instead of a contender. They are one of the national faces of our conference, and right now Texas looks like Sloth from The Goonies.

Go Pokes!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I'm amazed that Texas has all the money and recruits in the world, yet makes our conference look like a sad heap instead of a contender. They are one of the national faces of our conference, and right now it looks like Sloth from The Goonies.

Go Pokes!
As long as “it” refers to UT, I’m fine with it.
Lol, yeah. Should have specified.

Go Pokes!

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I'm amazed that Texas has all the money and recruits in the world, yet makes our conference look like a sad heap instead of a contender. They are one of the national faces of our conference, and right now it looks like Sloth from The Goonies.

Go Pokes!
PTL!

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...-the-finances-of-college-sports/#279bf668366f

except:
Misconception #4: The report tells the entire story

Each financial report is a mere snapshot in time. Because of this, it's difficult to draw conclusions about the health or weakness of a department based on one report alone. I find it far more useful -- and accurate -- to study trends over a number of years.

The biggest issue with reporting based off one report is that the numbers can be skewed due to project-specific or one-time transfers. For example, it is not uncommon for a funds raised for long-term projects to be kept off the athletic department's books (either within a separate development department or foundation/booster club) until the project is undertaken. Then the money will be moved over in a large lump sum when it's time to develop the project. This can make it appear that the athletic department's revenue surged in that year, when in fact it was money raised over the course of several years.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2013
one reliable indicator is merchandise sales. Texas is always number 1. OU, kansas, wvu and oklahoma state are typically in top 25. Even Texas tech is sometimes top 25 despite terrible teams.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
one reliable indicator is merchandise sales. Texas is always number 1. OU, kansas, wvu and oklahoma state are typically in top 25. Even Texas tech is sometimes top 25 despite terrible teams.
Not to make excuses but even this # is skewed a bit in OSU's case. I'll explain why in 2 words:

Eskimo Joes'

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Here is the link to the page with all revenue. Clicking on OK State - what strikes is the loss of contributions. 2017 has the least contributions back to 2005, where this chart starts. I understand 2006 with Boone's $165M and others and probably the Greenwood Tennis center in 2014. I initially thought the down oil but looked at ou's and they have been increasing. Hope it is just an anomaly

Sep 9, 2013
Since the WVU guy brings this stuff over, I guess it merits a questions. Our two schools have the same expenses. Who is getting the better ROI on the field(s)?
Oklahoma State has a head start on WVU. You guys also have a really good coach in football.
I think WVU has a far better basketball program(men and womens) but wrestling baseball and football we trail.
i do think wvu has spent a lot in past few years to level the field in wrestling and baseball, but it takes time.

Football-oklahoma state just has a better coach right now. If Holgy doesnt get to ccg this year, i think it may be his last. I dont think wvu will accept not winning the big 12 title once every five years.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Football-oklahoma state just has a better coach right now. If Holgy doesnt get to ccg this year, i think it may be his last. I dont think wvu will accept not winning the big 12 title once every five years.
If UT ever figures out how to stop turning gold in gopher s*** that could be pretty tough.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Oklahoma State has a head start on WVU. You guys also have a really good coach in football.
I think WVU has a far better basketball program(men and womens) but wrestling baseball and football we trail.
i do think wvu has spent a lot in past few years to level the field in wrestling and baseball, but it takes time.

In men's basketball, your program is currently better. But, historically, no, and it's not even close.

Sep 9, 2013
In men's basketball, your program is currently better. But, historically, no, and it's not even close.
lol. do you have Jerry West? The NBA logo. WVU won the Big East twice and had runs in ff elite 8 and several sweet 16's post 2000.

when you say Cowboys were better historically, are you talking 25 years ago? Ot 50 years ago when west led wvu to the title game where they lost by 1 point at buzzer?

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
lol. do you have Jerry West? The NBA logo. WVU won the Big East twice and had runs in ff elite 8 and several sweet 16's post 2000.

when you say Cowboys were better historically, are you talking 25 years ago? Ot 50 years ago when west led wvu to the title game where they lost by 1 point at buzzer?
How many Final Fours have y'all made? How many NC's do you have? When I say "historically" I'm talking about what both programs have achieved throughout their existence. You made a national title game? That's cute. We've made 3 and won 2 of them. The #'s back me on this but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Sep 9, 2013
anything that happened last century makes you sound like a PItt or Aggy fan. I understand army was a power in football historically, but it really means zip for modern day deals for money or conference realignment.

Here is wvu's ncaa record under its last 2 coaches(2005-2018), a period that covers over a decade:

11 trips to the Big Dance reaching the Final Four in 2010, the Elite Eight in 2005, with six Sweet 16's, most recently last year. WVU has made the Sweet 16 three of the last four years, being eliminated by teams with a combined record of 139-5. Ky, Gonzaga, Nova.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
anything that happened last century makes you sound like a PItt or Aggy fan. I understand army was a power in football historically, but it really means zip for modern day deals for money or conference realignment.

Here is wvu's ncaa record under its last 2 coaches(2005-2018), a period that covers over a decade:

11 trips to the Big Dance reaching the Final Four in 2010, the Elite Eight in 2005, with six Sweet 16's, most recently last year. WVU has made the Sweet 16 three of the last four years, being eliminated by teams with a combined record of 139-5. Ky, Gonzaga, Nova.
I guess you need to go back and read the word "currently" in my first post. And I agree that currently is all that matters right now for conference realignment. I was only pointing out that we have the better program historically, which is true. But I also wasn't the one who started spouting off about Jerry West and 1959, so calling me Aggie over that is a tad hypocritical.

Sep 9, 2013
Jerry West is the current NBA logo on the court.

anyway, there is no doubt Cowboys are currently better in football, baseball, and wrestling. Football being biggest money driver unless you are ky, louisville, kansas, duke, UNC.

Last edited: