Big-12 games cancelled by Big-10/Pac-12 decision.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Looks like five Big-12 games have been cancelled due to the Big-10/Pac-12 decision to play a Conference only schedule.

* Oklahoma St vs Oregon St, Sept 3rd
* TCU @ California, Sept 5th
* Iowa St @ Iowa, Sept 12th
* West Virginia vs Maryland, Sept 19th
* Texas Tech vs Arizona, Sept 19th.

Since it appears those two conferences are leaning to playing a 10 game conference only schedule, I would hope the Big-12 at worst would cancel 2 nonconference games and allow a 10 game schedule to be played.

For OSU, playing our nonconference game against Tulsa leading into conference play would make a lot of sense. Not much travel for Tulsa and would at least allow for one prep game before conference play began.

Of course, I hope we get to play a full 12 game schedule. But dropping 2 games (1 of which has already been decided for us) would not be a terrible result all things considered.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Bama-USC & Colorado -A&M, Notre Dame-USC are also cancelled.

Selfishly, I'm kinda hoping this season might slow down the rush to arrange all these neutral site noncom matchups & return them to campuses. Bama getting to play in Atlanta or Dallas vs. their one decent noncom opponent is getting very old, & just absolutely love seeing teams get to play at home & then on the road vs. each other, ie OU-tOSU, OU-Notre Dame.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
My opinion is this is a year when Power 5 conferences will not play full schedules. I think the Big12/ACC/SEC will curtail in some form over the coming weeks.

I guess the point of my post is if some Conferences are moving to 10 game schedules, then I would hope the Big-12 would make arrangements to play a similar number of total games, even if 1 of those games is a non-conference opponent.

Sep 9, 2013
i think wvu will play a full schedule regardless of what the rest of the big 12 does.

There are teams close to Morgantown, a bus ride away, that WVU can safely schedule. UK, Bowling green, Marshall, Ohio, Cinn. to name just a few.

WVU had FSU and Maryland non conference, and tries to schedule 2 to 3 power 5 nonconference foes each year for tv revenue.

Pitt is also less than an hour away. and has an nfl stadium that would allow fan spacing.

i think most sec teams will play a full slate of games, and they will be looking for teams to play. tv games.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
i think wvu will play a full schedule regardless of what the rest of the big 12 does.

There are teams close to Morgantown, a bus ride away, that WVU can safely schedule. UK, Bowling green, Marshall, Ohio, Cinn. to name just a few.

WVU had FSU and Maryland non conference, and tries to schedule 2 to 3 power 5 nonconference foes each year for tv revenue.

Pitt is also less than an hour away. and has an nfl stadium that would allow fan spacing.

i think most sec teams will play a full slate of games, and they will be looking for teams to play. tv games.
Yeah, that virus doesn't travel by bus, only by plane.
eye peering over glasses tommy lee jones.jpg

Feb 15, 2017
Texas

hmmm, not true.
Over the last 10 years, WVU has scheduled 1 Power 5 five times and 2 Power 5 teams five times and 3 Power 5 teams Zero. So, let's go with "1 to 2 power 5 nonconference foes"

But in the spirit of "when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor . ." Please, Nolaeer, continue.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Are any of the teams you mentioned available?

My opinion is this is a year when Power 5 conferences will not play full schedules. I think the Big12/ACC/SEC will curtail in some form over the coming weeks.

I guess the point of my post is if some Conferences are moving to 10 game schedules, then I would hope the Big-12 would make arrangements to play a similar number of total games, even if 1 of those games is a non-conference opponent.
I still think friday July 31st is a drop dead date for announcing whatever it is a conference is going to do. So hopefully this spike levels off between now & then. Don't know if it's sustainable, but OU's numbers on COVID are at least encouraging.

On the number of total games, that's an interesting quandry. Do you take the extra revenue from extra games & potentially put yourself at a disadvantage playoff-wise to teams playing less games? Or, does it benefit you this year to have that 'extra date point' the committee has talked about?

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
This season is gonna be a bitch for sports betters. Unpredictable what star will have a high forehead temp on game day. How about half the O-line getting covid. The possibilities are endless.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This season is gonna be a bitch for sports betters. Unpredictable what star will have a high forehead temp on game day. How about half the O-line getting covid. The possibilities are endless.
Completely agree. It's going to be interesting to see what protocols are established for the tests. It would seem the schools need to agree on this mutually. Do you test everyone on Wednesday, then a team travels, & then just a temperature check on gameday? I can't imagine a scenario where you're testing ON gameday.

Sep 9, 2013
Completely agree. It's going to be interesting to see what protocols are established for the tests. It would seem the schools need to agree on this mutually. Do you test everyone on Wednesday, then a team travels, & then just a temperature check on gameday? I can't imagine a scenario where you're testing ON gameday.
Neal Brown said every WVU starter except qb will be prepared to play both ways, and that he intends to have a 4 deep in case of positives tests.

the NCAA has suggested the tests be done the Wednesday before the game, so i doubt one will be done on the day of the game.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Neal Brown said every WVU starter except qb will be prepared to play both ways, and that he intends to have a 4 deep in case of positives tests.

the NCAA has suggested the tests be done the Wednesday before the game, so i doubt one will be done on the day of the game.
That's what I've seen discussed, but there's definitely obvious holes in that protocol. Those results could be 72 hours old by the time a team travels somewhere & plays.

Sep 9, 2013
That's what I've seen discussed, but there's definitely obvious holes in that protocol. Those results could be 72 hours old by the time a team travels somewhere & plays.
that's true, but you cant expect coaches to make gameday decisions. tests are on Wednesday, and if you show no symptoms you play on Saturday. Test results take 2-3 days anyway.

and wvu's nonconference schedule going forward will feature 2-3 power 5 nonconf foes. New AD doesnt like playing non power 5 teams bc tv revenue is crap for those.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Simple solution for the B12.

Each school plays 2 or 3 conference opponents before league play begins. These games would not count in the standings, and would be played at the opposite location of the regularly scheduled game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Simple solution for the B12.

Each school plays 2 or 3 conference opponents before league play begins. These games would not count in the standings, and would be played at the opposite location of the regularly scheduled game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I vote we play KU twice in preseason, plus one that counts.