Big 12 Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2019

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
Oklahoma State

"Probably the best thing you can say about a program is that they're not afraid of changing what they do best. This year they're losing their offensive coordinator and line coach, and they won't really miss a beat. Mike Gundy has reinvented that offense enough times that you know they'll be ready."

"The OC hire (Sean Gleeson) was a good one — they did some innovative stuff at Princeton."

"It's hard to tell what (defensive coordinator) Jim Knowles was doing last year. That defense was all over the map. Game to game they looked totally different, sometimes even in their base. Something went wrong early; either he didn't understand the personnel or he asked them to do something they couldn't."

"At their best they're a poor man's Oklahoma. They can get comfortable going touchdown for touchdown with you. Then at their worst they're a rich man's Texas Tech, where you can knock ‘em off schedule a little bit and they can't catch up and can't create stops."

"They've got to find a solution on defense. That's what's held them back from a conference title these last few years. They're really close. They develop offensive guys as well as anyone in the country, but they're the program that really defines the negative take on Big 12 football. They can shoot the lights out but can't stop a sneeze."

"No one knew who Taylor Cornelius was a year ago. At all. He was just a good system guy who waited his turn and then he played really well. And they’re in the same situation right now trying to find the guy, but that’s the position I’d worry the least about with Gundy."

"Their offensive line seems to be better than you’d expect every single season, especially in the pass game."

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-12-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

Feb 18, 2009
I want to know which coach talked about needing a solution on defense. There are multiple teams that carry water for the league being weak defensively. We’re certainly one but not “the one.”

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I want to know which coach talked about needing a solution on defense. There are multiple teams that carry water for the league being weak defensively. We’re certainly one but not “the one.”
Texas Tech is “the one” historically, but we’re not helping lately. This is one Red Raider quality I’m fine not copying.

And if that was Riley’s comment... the pot has insulted the kettle.